how and when did you get into programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how and when did you get into programming

i ask this as an open question to everyone, as there are some very intelligent people on here and they are very good at programming, as a 35 y/o bloke i was only taught the very rudementary basics of stuff on an old bbc computer that our school got when i was there, but at the time this was cuting edge......

having been trying to get my head round this programming lark for a while i wonderd if schools nowadays concentrated on it, because as i said there are some people on here that seem to be able to do as they want with a computer without a second thought.

I feel I need to rant. I'm not sure if it's just my school, but the ICT education is pathetic. To be honest, I've not learnt anything in an ICT lesson in all my life, I've learnt more in 5 minutes at home by myself than I've learnt at school.

We don't get taught anything useful, we do more 'useless' stuff than actual working on programs, or programming, design, graphics, etc. It's as if they're not trying to make us good at anything at all, it's just they want us to pass the joke of a GCSE for ICT with flying colours, but I couldn't care less.

Anyway, there's my rant over.

In my school we get taught no programming what so ever, we get taught nothing that would ever help us with it either.

I got into programming when I was 13/14 (I'm 15 now), I started off with HTML, just last year I began working on PHP and this year I started up on MySQL. I'm getting quite good at PHP and I see its potential in the future so I'm going to continue using it .

I'd like to learn C++ too, but that's only if time permits .

Comment

I started programming on a TRS-80 that my father purchased when I was a kid. Since there was no software for it, you had to write everything yourself. Later we upgraded to a Commodore VIC20, than to a 64. Have been programming ever since.

Moved to IBM world in 1985 and used Windows for the first time in 1995.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I've never had any patience with programming that's why I've never learned, but I think I'm going to have to try and knucle down and learn.

Comment

I had to learn this evil language called Comal in High School. Was the most useless thing in the world.

I then went on to learn Perl when I used UBB as I use to write modifications, that was about 1998. I then moved over to PHP when i installed vB in 2000 and last year I started to learn C++.

My next task is to look at C#
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
            I feel I need to rant. I'm not sure if it's just my school, but the ICT education is pathetic. To be honest, I've not learnt anything in an ICT lesson in all my life, I've learnt more in 5 minutes at home by myself than I've learnt at school.

We don't get taught anything useful, we do more 'useless' stuff than actual working on programs, or programming, design, graphics, etc. It's as if they're not trying to make us good at anything at all, it's just they want us to pass the joke of a GCSE for ICT with flying colours, but I couldn't care less.

Anyway, there's my rant over.

In my school we get taught no programming what so ever, we get taught nothing that would ever help us with it either.

I got into programming when I was 13/14 (I'm 15 now), I started off with HTML, just last year I began working on PHP and this year I started up on MySQL. I'm getting quite good at PHP and I see its potential in the future so I'm going to continue using it .

I'd like to learn C++ too, but that's only if time permits .
            I seriously have to agree with that. We learn about making "webpages" on Word and Publisher, where I can make them already using Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Our teacher is also a pain in the ass, no wonder he had to move from a nearby school because he got a keyboard thrown at him.

Comment

I was 9. I found an old disk with nibbles on it. Shoved it in, started QBASIC and started nibbles. Nibbles was on speed.

I looked around, and read a lot.....and I put nibbles into a rehab program, and I slowed him down....

Anyway, I got into QBasic...tried C++ for a bit but didn't like it....then VB....then about a year ago I got into PHP. I've done a lot more in PHP than I ever did with anything else...now I've got a job programming PHP

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                I started programming on a TRS-80 that my father purchased when I was a kid. Since there was no software for it, you had to write everything yourself. Later we upgraded to a Commodore VIC20, than to a 64. Have been programming ever since.

Moved to IBM world in 1985 and used Windows for the first time in 1995.
                Its amazing how much we have in common. I went reverse style.

My dad got me a Commodore VIC20 when I was about...I dunno, 8 or 9 years old. I use to watch him code in his office and it fascinated me. Anyway, I started learning basic. At about 11 or 12 my dad brought me a Trash 80 that he had built from scratch and challenged me to write some drivers for it. So, I started learning assembly language. I wrote a video driver, floppy disk controller driver...I think I worked on that thing for years until it was finally usable. I have it still today, up in my office. My son plays pong on it. Anyway, by the time I was 16 I was learning C, Pascal, etc.. I am very thankful that I learned low level programming before I moved to these higher level languages. It has helped me greatly over the years. And of course, nowadays I make a living writing code for microchips.
                version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
                Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

When I was 15/16 I was learning Apple Basic and Pascal as those were the only languages available in the school which only had Apple IIe's.

Later when I was in College, I started learning C (C++ wasn't very popular yet) and then finally C++. However, I my real programming education didn't start until I got my first job as a programmer writing a front-end and terminal emulation package for banking software. That was quite an experience...

One time my manager came up to me and said "The customer, bank xyz, wants you to make the system lock automatically after 5 minutes of inuse and display a fireworks screensaver"... Not to hard you might say but the program was a DOS program that used NETBIOS for networking on Novell Netware.

I do most of my development in PHP these days. I want to get involved in PHP-GTK for parts of a front-end for an ecommerce system I am working on based off of osCommerce.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    However, I my real programming education didn't start until I got my first job as a programmer writing a front-end and terminal emulation package for banking software. That was quite an experience...
                    *nods*

My first real job was developing digital settop box drivers (DigiCable) for TV Guide. Definitely an experience. But, I will say that my knowledge has expanded 100% in the last two years working for Time Mark Corp. The programming I am doing now is so much fun. I look forward to work every day. On the side I also do work in PHP. Right now I am writing an administration backend for a hotel/apartment short term rental organization.

*edited to add*

I was learning C when I was 16 or so because I was heavy into unix at that time and I still am today.
                    version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
                    Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

I started HTML in 1994, I believe. I then started program Visual Basic in 1995, and started C/C++ the year after. ASP wasn't too hard to learn, since it was basically a trimmed-down version of Visual Basic (at the time).

I got my hands ahold of Java the moment it was released, since it was all the hype at the time. Yes, some people even thought you could program your fridge in Java... -_-"

About a year and a half ago, I started messing around with PHP -- it wasn't too hard because of the C syntax. I've also been messing around a bit with the .Net technologies, like ASP.Net, VB.Net, and C#.
                      :)

Comment

wow it seems most of the time you all have taught yourselves then, so there is hope for me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by version2
                          I was learning C when I was 16 or so because I was heavy into unix at that time and I still am today.
                          Now that my main workstation is completely Linux based, I expect to get back into some C/C++ programming again. Mainly right now, just getting it configured the way I want it. Will be building a new network for a retail business over the next six months that will be Linux based as well, everything from the server to the special order kiosks that the customers can use.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I taught myself HTML, and then... well nothing else yet... That was only 8 years ago, gimme a break!

Comment

Originally posted by phill2003
                              wow it seems most of the time you all have taught yourselves then, so there is hope for me yet.
                              That's right, everything I know right now I taught myself. I learned how to use photoshop, illustrator, word, excel, access, etc. etc. and XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL all by myself with the aid of books in some cases.

Never has an ICT teacher ever helped me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X