Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever reported someone to their ISP? Or to the police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever reported someone to their ISP? Or to the police?

Well did you? I almost did...

But I'd like to know how something like that works
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

I've reported people to their ISP's in extreme cases, but they never do anything unless you email them about 20 times.

It's something that has to be sorted out on the internet - accountability. As people who run websites, individuals can come along and really ruin it for us and everyone else

I've not called in the police yet, but am considering it at the moment with two people that are causing us problems.

Comment

I've reported people to their ISP's before. I usually don't have much trouble. One user got a strong warning email from Sympatico.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

We had a user who posted some links to warez, got banned, and came back under about 5 differnt account names over the next week or two. His ISP happened to be his university, and their sysadmin wasn't too happy to hear from me...
        Seriously! - The Definitive Home of All Things Serious
        Seriously! Forums

To recieve support on these forums, enter your username here.

Comment

Never had to mess with that too much.
          version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
          Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

I've only had one instance where I contacted an ISP about an annoying kid on my forums. They just laughed and said I did not have a justifiable cause.

flips finger at CenturyTel
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSSJ3
              Well did you? I almost did...

But I'd like to know how something like that works
              Yep. Somebody was violating the DMCA and got account terminated almost immediately.

(To the tune of 'YMCA'): I like to violate the DMCA!
              :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                Yep. Somebody was violating the DMCA and got account terminated almost immediately.

(To the tune of 'YMCA'): I like to violate the DMCA!
                Good to know...you like userfriendly, too?
                version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

userfriendly? what's that?
                  :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                    userfriendly? what's that?
                    Cartoon...
                    Attached Files
                    version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

I've reported a member to their local police, the FBI, their ISP, and even their church pastor (yes, their church pastor) for threats of personal violence.

Comment

I have. Actually a bunch of us did on another forum I frequent. There was a guy who was TOTALLY insane, I mean this is one of the craziest ppl I've ever met online. He was spamming us through email like crazy, for some reason I got caught in his crossfire, so a bunch of us got together and contact his ISP (Roadrunner in this case). One of the forum members actually who led this campaign against him, worked for RR so he was able to get in touch with his manager, but of course RR couldnt do much, not even a warning.

I dont know what happened, but he hasnt bothered us in about a year so maybe RR did something about it.

Unless its something of a serious and criminal nature most ISPs wont bother. Personally I did have a member on my forums who posted objectionable material against another forum member, and I tried to report it his ISP, but they didnt give a crap.
                        forums: pcfx.cc
                        gallery: here

Comment

I have reported a couple of people to their ISP and one to the police. One guy was harassing people and when I reported him to his ISP, where I believe he worked, the harassment stopped. I haven't heard from him again.

Another kid posted a fairly scary threat of violence and it also stopped after I reported him to his ISP and the police. His ISP was a university. The police were kinda mystified by the whole thing. I kept trying to explain what an IP address was, and they kept wanting to know the person's email address. Of course it was a hotmail or yahoo account which makes it nearly impossible to trace. As I sat in the big office with all the detective's desks. I looked around, no one had a computer on their desk. Not one in a room with like 20 desks. Shouldn't cops have computers?

Comment

Originally posted by irc
                            I have reported a couple of people to their ISP and one to the police. One guy was harassing people and when I reported him to his ISP, where I believe he worked, the harassment stopped. I haven't heard from him again.

Another kid posted a fairly scary threat of violence and it also stopped after I reported him to his ISP and the police. His ISP was a university. The police were kinda mystified by the whole thing. I kept trying to explain what an IP address was, and they kept wanting to know the person's email address. Of course it was a hotmail or yahoo account which makes it nearly impossible to trace. As I sat in the big office with all the detective's desks. I looked around, no one had a computer on their desk. Not one in a room with like 20 desks. Shouldn't cops have computers?
                            huh, so how do you go about reporting someone you have no idea about, name, address etc to the police?

Give them his IP? hehe

Oh and just what police dept is that?

Comment

If the IP address specifies a particular computer on a particular college campus, it is possible to track down the exact user.

Also, I would guess that ISP keep some kind of record of who has what IP at what time.

The cops in question were from NYC. The sliver lining in their lack of understanding is that there is a special unit in NYC to deal with computer related crime. They referred my report to them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X