Unique ways to keep members visiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique ways to keep members visiting?

Me and the owner of www.techchats.com are trying to think of unique ways to keep members coming back since the first 10,000 posts are the hardest..

Right now i have articles and stuff linking to my websites to gain interest in members.

What we thought of after we get alot of posts:
    Custom skin made by a design:
    HiveMail / PhotoPost / Ect

So far that is it, but what are some unique things we can do now? Free or cheap things of course. Also, what can we do with the front page? VBHome Lite isn't that great and VBPortal is not made for 2.3.0 (Already tried)

BTW, This is a tech forum, so any ideas for that.
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

For the front page, create your own. Creat templates for each section of the front page with HTML, then a main template to pull them all together, then an index.php page to call the templates.

It's what I do on my site, simply because I wanted something I could update with vB without relying on the generic vB homepage look.

As for getting users, the best way to get them to stay is to have a forum that's worth participating in! (not to say your's isn't, cos I haven't been)

Comment

Well we have moving content, of which users can contribute in real time. and on the front page we have a Funny "Lone Pink Sock Quote" that Me or the other admin updates daily. we're currently working on more stuff for the site, but i don't want to hack too far into vb (the site is run from it) until vb3 is released.

Comment

Tech forums are a dime a dozen (I should know, I have one too) ... offer something that's unique, not just bells and whistles... a no-holds barred opinion section or maybe a weekly contest of sorts, if you have the moola, will keep em coming ... hell, you can even put up a babe of the week if you like...
        Last edited by Tolitz; Thu 5 Jun '03, 8:45am.
        OPEN TECH SUPPORT
        "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Kidnap their children/pet/favourite toy/partner and blackmail them ?

On second thoughts don't !
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
            Kidnap their children/pet/favourite toy/partner and blackmail them ?

On second thoughts don't !
            Why not? It worked for me. The only downside is all the extra mouths I have to feed.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

You need unique content.

Comment

Jake's right; content and helpful members make or break a forum. It doesn't matter how many arcade games you have, how cool the site looks, if you can check webmail (which, BTW, HiveMail is not the only solution), etc.; if the community is loose, then it won't stay alive.
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Original, or high quality frequent content is the absolute best thing you can offer your visitors to keep them there.

No point in contests if your site is non-profit making.

I also have a tech forum - they are a dime a dozen. Give your site a personality be it through your review style, or just the fact that your help is that damn good, and it will go a long way.

Comment

The owner is running contests, worked pretty well to gain some members.

It's a logo contests and we needed a logo anyways

Comment

With all the relevant "content" being monopolized by bigger tech sites, it would be prudent to come up with unique content, as Jake said, that you won't find anywhere else ... just posting some other tech site's news is not enough, current events is not enough (they can easily read that in other tech sites anyway) ... you need community-based content, since it IS named "tech chat" ... open new topics about what members think of a particular product, technology or service. Have tech debates going. Encourage your members to post anecdotes and experiences with technology.

Since the whole site is centered on the forums, the only content that will be relevant are how-to guides, reviews and weekly articles ... if you snag a member who's a really good writer to write regular columns for you, you're in business...
                      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Thanks, i might open a tech article / news / reviews forum

Just made this: http://www.techchats.com/forums/foru...php?forumid=23
                        Last edited by IDN; Thu 5 Jun '03, 9:31pm.

Comment

photopost is HUUGE on my site
                          big bandwith sucker mind you..

also odd enough, my members love the arcade.
                          I read about members on other msg boards who come only to play.. lol
                          MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

What is this arcade i keep hearing about?

Comment

Keep the forums fresh, too. Keep the date lasted posted always updated. Register about 5 or 6 different usernames and talk to yourself. Thats what I had to do when my forum first started...now we are edging up to 5000 members and half a million posts. Good luck.

Ive long since retired my multiple identities.
                              version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
                              Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

Working...
                              X