No announcement yet.

Only respond if you own a high end radaon card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you suggest the 9700 and not the 9800 256?

I read hardocp's review and it had only 10FPS in doom3!
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
      Why would you suggest the 9700 and not the 9800 256?

I read hardocp's review and it had only 10FPS in doom3!
      Because price is an issue for you.

10 FPS = bogus. I got an average of 45 FPS in Doom 3, on my relatively old system (XP 1800 @ 1.53 GHz)

I know many others were getting low FPS, but the average I saw that people were getting was around 15-25.
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
        Because price is an issue for you.
        I'll wait till it goes down in price, i'm in debt right now and my boss isn't giving me much work, so right now i can wait a few months, if price was not and issue would you recemend it or the 9800 128MB or 9700 pro?

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
          I'll wait till it goes down in price, i'm in debt right now and my boss isn't giving me much work, so right now i can wait a few months, if price was not and issue would you recemend it or the 9800 128MB or 9700 pro?
          The main difference between the two, is the core clock frequency. The 9700 Pro runs at 325 MHz, and 380 MHz for the 9800 Pro.

The original 9700 Pro had issues with heating, and it would get really hot after playing games for long periods of times, and I believe this is one of the problems with the 9800 Pro.

When it comes down to it, the 9800 Pro performs better than the 9700 Pro,(especially with 4x AA) so in that sense, it is better, and you should get it instead, but it comes down to the money, if you are willing to pay for it. (even when the price comes down)

BTW, between the 128MB version and 256 MB, I would personally go for the 128. The additional memory it has doesn't really help performance, and it also has some heating issues, compared to the 128 MB version.

BTW, I was wrong...47 FPS in DOOM 3.
          Attached Files
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

I just think the 256MB would last longer IMO. As for the heating issues, i plan on getting a new fan for it anyways, would this help?

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
              I just think the 256MB would last longer IMO. As for the heating issues, i plan on getting a new fan for it anyways, would this help?
              Yeah, I know what you mean. If the price is right, go for it.

I doubt you're going to be sitting there and playing games for 10 straight hours right? (I've only heard cases of the card heating up during periods of long "extensive gameplay")

You should be fine if you have proper cooling.
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

Comment

I just want a card that will last me awhile with games, my gf3 ti200 is great, but doesn't have dual input..

I would go for a ti4x00, but they aren't made for dx9, fx and ati is

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
                  Reason why i would get the 256mb is because i want it to last awhile.

so the 256 isn't much better?
                  No, it isnt "much" better.

Most cases show it slower, because the ram is slower. You think the 128 wont last long?

No games use 128mb worth of textures, anyway.

Only 2 games coming out soon that _might_ benefit from it would be halflife 2 and doom3(who cares about that when theres hl2~)

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                    No, it isnt "much" better.
                    Most cases show it slower, because the ram is slower.
                    Well, yeah it uses DDR2, versus the regular DDR memory, but that acutally causes it to heat. (which is why they attached a heatsink to it)

Originally posted by merk
                    ...Dooom3(who cares about that when theres hl2~)
                    Doom 3 vs HL 2 now?

Uhoh, here we go
                    Last edited by Vile; Fri 6 Jun '03, 2:01am.
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Who?
                      i would just get a 9700pro or a 9800pro 128MB card because the 256MB is no faster(in some tests it slower then the 128MB cards), also you could be waiting some time for it to drop that low, the 9700pro has been out for some time and there just now getting down around that price.
                      The 9800 PRO 256MB version does have much better performance, it is just that those reviews were done before the new driver was out, mwaning that they only used 128MB of the 256MB of RAM.

Comment

Thanks, i'll see what the reviews say when i am about to buy.

Comment

There are only driver issues if you do not completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers. I believe there are two seperate things in add/remove programs you need to uninstall...

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X