Do you guys ever get "subtle" trolls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys ever get "subtle" trolls?

I don't mean spammers, but rather people that post messages just to get a reaction? I suspect its some kids messing around.

But on my pets board, I recently had someone post some threads about how her animals were sick/suffering and the intention was that it was due to her own negligence. This was very upsetting for some of my members who hate to hear about animals suffering.

But after a couple more posts, it became clear that the facts didn't jibe and it was all BS. I looked in her user profile and her email was very suspicious - a yahoo address with a name that I doubt an adult would use.

Anyway, do you ever get these? and if so, what are some telltale signs to look for so it can be nipped before it becomes a problem?
    Talk about pets and post pictures at Talk Pets!

Originally posted by jw791
    I don't mean spammers, but rather people that post messages just to get a reaction? I suspect its some kids messing around.
    My board specializes in religion, and alternative religions at that...oh do the trolls love my forum.
    version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
    Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

Don't you mean negative reaction? I think everyone posts to get a reaction whether it is agreement in their thoughts, answering a question or just plain fellowship.

The one thing that has to be remembered here is that the medium we are communicating with, does not convey feelings. Emoticons help allay that problem but they do not solve it. There is simply no way to express true emotion in a printed medium. Sometimes people come across a lot differently than they intend to. It is how we deal with this as Admins and Moderators that determines if someone becomes a productive member of the community or fades away like a troll into dust.

You should try to practice compassion and understanding even if the person seems like a subtle troll at first. It is the only way. Having been judged mistakenly on this forum many times, it only drives the issue home for myself. When people get cornered, they get defensive and don't think. This doesn't help any situation.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        You should try to practice compassion and understanding even if the person seems like a subtle troll at first. It is the only way. Having been judged mistakenly on this forum many times, it only drives the issue home for myself. When people get cornered, they get defensive and don't think. This doesn't help any situation.
        Hmm, you are correct...however when dealing with religous subjects its become pretty easy to spot a troll. We usually give folks the benefit of the doubt as we want to welcome everyone from any path or religion...but...well, its just easy to spot now.
        version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
        Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Don't you mean negative reaction? I think everyone posts to get a reaction whether it is agreement in their thoughts, answering a question or just plain fellowship.

The one thing that has to be remembered here is that the medium we are communicating with, does not convey feelings. Emoticons help allay that problem but they do not solve it. There is simply no way to express true emotion in a printed medium. Sometimes people come across a lot differently than they intend to. It is how we deal with this as Admins and Moderators that determines if someone becomes a productive member of the community or fades away like a troll into dust.

OK - yes I understand what you are talking about. I do give people the benefit of the doubt at first, but when a story is obviously false and is meant to cause people to get upset by preying on their genuine concerns, I'm not gonna allow it.

Maybe its just the nature of my subject - pet owners are VERY emotional and posts about bleeding dogs getting turned away by vets and cats dying due to the poster's negligence are extremely upsetting when they appear sincere at first. But when it becomes obvious that the person is trolling it degrades the quality of the board, so while I don't confront the person publically, I'm gonna remove it.
          Talk about pets and post pictures at Talk Pets!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X