Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best book to learn about php/mysql databases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best book to learn about php/mysql databases?

What do you all recommend?

Is that book from SitePoint any good?

Thanks!
    -Neal

I tried reading some PHP and MySQL books a while ago. I got nothing out of them because I had no programming background when I read them.

I learned a lot from working with vBulletin... installing and making hacks, etc. After that I started taking programming classes at my local junior college (working on a CS degree). The syntax and concepts for C++ programming translate directly over to PHP. Once you have a little background, then do some free reading.

Unfortunately I don't have any books to recommend...

Comment

I only had HTML background when I started reading a PHP book (PHP and MySQL Web Development (second edition)) and it has helped me quite a bit. I highly recommend it.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

I started out with HTML 3 and progressed to HTML 4 and then XHTML 1.0 before finally starting on a programming language.

I learnt Perl before progressing to PHP, after a while i picked up MySQL after learning PHP.

The book i used to learn PHP was Core PHP 2nd Edition by Leon Atkison but this is now out of date since I read it. It explained PHP in great detail and then I looked at a simple MySQL tutorial on the web.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Have any of you read/seen the Sitepoint book?

I know HTML 4 decently but I really want to start moving in the direction of php/mysql databases.

Classes sound like a good idea, but it is going to be summer now. Even if I wanted to take summer classes there would be no way that I would have time.
          -Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Drile
            Have any of you read/seen the Sitepoint book?

I know HTML 4 decently but I really want to start moving in the direction of php/mysql databases.

Classes sound like a good idea, but it is going to be summer now. Even if I wanted to take summer classes there would be no way that I would have time.
            I read the SP book. Pretty good, but really short so it doesn't go into too much depth.
            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

What do you all recommend?

Is that book from SitePoint any good?

Thanks!
              No book can take the place of the web in my opinion. I bought about 3 php books and cracked them open a couple of times each. MAX! I recommend just downloading code and playing with it. and http://php.net is your friend.
              version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
              Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

PHP is not a database. There are no PHP/Mysql databases.

Mysql is a database management system.
                PHP is a server side scripting language.

These are two separate things.
                http://www.statgfx.com

Comment

I think he meant it more like

'PHP'/'Mysql databases'

As opposed to the way you interpretted it

"'PHP'/'Mysql' databases"

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                    I think he meant it more like

'PHP'/'Mysql databases'

As opposed to the way you interpretted it

"'PHP'/'Mysql' databases"
                    Hmm...perhaps. "PHP/Mysql" is seen so often I just wanted to make sure he wasn't confusing the two.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomguy01
                      Hmm...perhaps. "PHP/Mysql" is seen so often I just wanted to make sure he wasn't confusing the two.
                      Yeah I meant it to be seperate - "I want to learn how to use php and mysql databases to create...websites...bla bla bla..."

Sorry, I worded that so it was a little confusing.

I understand that the web and actually messing around with it are the best resources to learn, but....are books worth it to actually get started?

I would like to have some knowledge before I start messing around with it.

What route do you recommend?
                      A) Buy a book and then mess around with the code and read manuals/websites.

or

B) Mess around with php and mysql databases while reading manuals/websites.

Thanks!
                      -Neal

Comment

I'd suggest route a with SP's book - it's very nciely written and very easy ot get started for beginners with it. Plus - SP offers a no questions asked 30 days money back guarantee.

Comment

B) Mess around with php and mysql databases while reading manuals/websites.
                          As far as Mysql goes, I would suggest reading up on DB design rather than just jumping into it and throwing data in tables.

For coding, I've always found it easier to read through tutorial/book and at the same time put the examples learned into practice. It's not often helpful to just read a book about programming and then go programming. Part of the learning is done through reading, but a lot is done through actually doing the examples, trial-and-error, debugging, etc.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone!
                            -Neal

Comment

I tried using solely the web to learn PHP for a few months, and found I was getting nowhere. After buying two books, I found myself learning very quickly. It was worth it.

SitePoint's book, while pretty good, is too expensive IMO. I have another book with exactly the same price that is three times as wide and goes much farther into detail, especially with the harder things (ie. regular expressions).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X