Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a serious problem with setting up my PC.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a serious problem with setting up my PC.

Hello,

I have AMD XP 1600 which I bought around a year ago.
    Today, I got AMD XP 2700 333 and suitable motherboard (KT4V) for it.
    The thing is that everything was going smooth until I changed CPU FSB cloclk value to 280 accidently. (It was set at 100 originally). After this, nothing shows up on the monitor.

Does anyone know what to do in such a situation?

Thanks.

Check your motherboard manual ... there should be some jumper settings (or something similar) that you can use to reset the motherboard to default factory specs...
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Theoretically you can also pop out the little button battery. However at that speed you might have literally fried parts of the board due to the excessive heat.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        Theoretically you can also pop out the little button battery. However at that speed you might have literally fried parts of the board due to the excessive heat.
        most modern boards dont fry the main components, the board shuts down before it fries.

Also popping out the battery isnt always an option, sometimes its glued in there -__-

Comment

God, thanks. It worked, not sure if something has gone fried though. I will see.

Originally posted by filburt1

Comment

Originally posted by merk
            most modern boards dont fry the main components, the board shuts down before it fries.
            not always true, AMD's are known to fry and not all the time power off, I say this because i know several friends who have had this happen.

no flames intended, but for this very same reason i stick with intel. My powersupply fan died a few months ago, while i was playing games online my pc all of a sudden powered off, i had no idea what had happened until i noticed my powersupply fan wasn't spinning.

intel boards have very good heat sensing and quickly power off way before the heat become excessive .. its also a known fact AMD's run 30 - 40% hotter than a intel, i never see my sensor go above 32c even when under 100% load. while my friends AMD's are always above 40-45c

I'm not dragging amd though the dirt, just stating some facts... AMD cost less for a reason
            Last edited by sebe; Thu 22 May '03, 7:14pm.

Comment

As far as I can see nothing has gone fried. The only issue now I have is that the motherboard does not seem to recognize XP 2700 because I am seeing XP 1500 on winXP display.

Comment

Originally posted by seby
                not always true, AMD's are known to fry and not all the time power off, I say this because i know several friends who have had this happen.

no flames intended, but for this very same reason i stick with intel. My powersupply fan died a few months ago, while i was playing games online my pc all of a sudden powered off, i had no idea what had happened until i noticed my powersupply fan wasn't spinning.

intel boards have very good heat sensing and quickly power off way before the heat become excessive .. its also a known fact AMD's run 30 - 40% hotter than a intel, i never see my sensor go above 32c even when under 100% load. while my friends AMD's are always above 40-45c

I'm not dragging amd though the dirt, just stating some facts... AMD cost less for a reason
                I've had a number of AMD systems and many of my friends have as well. (with no heating problems) I have read of some cases of AMD systems overheating, but most often when I read about it online, someone is merely using it towards a "Intel vs AMD" argument, and it's not based on actual facts, but rather opinion. (having proper cooling really makes a difference )
                Most consumers look at the nice big numbers in terms of clock speed for Intels systems, and think that clock speed has everything to do with it, so it must be faster! How little they know.
                Very same reason AMD XP 1700's, 1800s, 1900s, etc. can easily outperform an Intel 2.4 GHz+ system.

Go figure...
                Last edited by Vile; Thu 22 May '03, 10:09pm.
                Webmaster / Administrator
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

The heat sensing capabilities of a motherboard would be due to the manufacturer of the board and not the chip itself. It doesn't matter if you have an AMD processor or splurge and buy a P4 processor. If you buy a crap board, eventually you will end up with a crap chip.

I use AMD processors and look for good quality boards and do not have a problem.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by klisis
                    As far as I can see nothing has gone fried. The only issue now I have is that the motherboard does not seem to recognize XP 2700 because I am seeing XP 1500 on winXP display.
                    Make sure your board can take the chip you are giving it. Check the manufacturer's site for a BIOS update.

Comment

Originally posted by klisis
                      Hello,

I have AMD XP 1600 which I bought around a year ago.
                      Today, I got AMD XP 2700 333 and suitable motherboard (KT4V) for it.
                      The thing is that everything was going smooth until I changed CPU FSB cloclk value to 280 accidently. (It was set at 100 originally). After this, nothing shows up on the monitor.

Does anyone know what to do in such a situation?

Thanks.
                      you need to reset the CMOS/battery if you can - i'd actually open up the pc, take off the cpu heatsink and inspect if there's any damage to the cpu as well as the northbridge/southbridge and capacitors on the motherboard

after that , reapply some thermal paste inbetween the heatsink and cpu and reboot the pc
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Moral: Dont use AMD~

/me gets fire engine ready

Comment

For the premium you pay for an Intel processor, I can build an entire AMD based computer. I guess it is a matter of priorities.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Intels have an on chip heat sensor i think, much faster at detecting overheating problems, wasn't there some throttling feature aswell?

Either way, i use an AthlonXP 2700, nice copper heatsink, runs wonderfully, if people wanna waste cash on cooler chips, let um, i wouldn't waste all that cash on a cool cpu unless it was a for a server.

If you want a solid system that will run for years, buy Intel, if you are gonna be upgrading often, stay cutting edge without going bankrupt buy AMD.

Besides all that, there are many more gotchas that affect both systems equally, static, moving parts wearing out, heat fractures and finaly the one that got me, cracking your motherboard ( when fitting new heatsink )

[Edit: Im sure a well designed AMD system will run for many years too.]
                            Last edited by Nemon; Fri 23 May '03, 12:52am.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              For the premium you pay for an Intel processor, I can build an entire AMD based computer. I guess it is a matter of priorities.
                              Like many people, he obviously likes paying more for a product that doesn't perform as well.
                              Why? higher number must be better, woooooo hoooo! (isnt that the reasoning most Intel people have?)
                              Webmaster / Administrator
                              www.MegaGames.com
                              www.MGForums.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X