Has Anyone Ever Made Money with VB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    It is surprising that since you are using 120,000 terabytes of bandwidth every month that you aren't listed as the number on desitination on the Internet. Even Yahoo and Microsoft don't use that much bandwidth every month and Microsoft has 6 million subscribers to MSN.

What host are you using and what does that amount of bandwidth cost you per month? At even a dollar a gigabyte, your spend over $100,000 a month for hosting so I am not sure how $1200 in ad revenue means you are making money.

Even if you meant megabytes in your post, that is 120 terrabytes of bandwidth. Unusually high for a site that only gets 28 million hits in a month (how many page views is that anyway?)

SitePoint forums gets about 50-60 million hits per month and that translates into a little less than 5 million page views. They use about 100 gigabytes of bandwidth a month also.
    I mistyped - I meant 120,000,000 kb a month - whatever that translates to. My server guys give me the stats - I am not a techie We are recieving 3.8 million page views a month.

Comment

Ya shoulda just said you let users download ATVs

Comment

Last month a little over 1k, so far this month, a little over 300. All mods who bring on advertisors get half of what we make off the contract.

Comment

Does anyone think a subscription based forum is a viable option for making money. Assuming your forum is mightly popular?

Comment

I think the most popular option has been to provide your members with "extras" for subscriptions.

Closing your forum off completly to non-subscribers is virtually suicide.
            Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

That's what I meant, extras. Know of any examples where this has been a success?

Comment

Originally posted by tucklis
                That's what I meant, extras. Know of any examples where this has been a success?
                I believe hole.com has successfully integrated subscriptions into their community.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I added a subscription based forum to our free forums about two years ago, and have done pretty well. Right now the site is divided into free and "club" access with some 17k members. We're quite popular averaging 120k page views per day.

Originally posted by tucklis
                  Does anyone think a subscription based forum is a viable option for making money. Assuming your forum is mightly popular?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X