No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Ever Made Money with VB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His forum caters to people who would rather give all they have to others less fortunate than to horde it.

I am a partner in a local store that caters to the same type of people and we raise money all the time. $500 here, $500 there... etc... A local festival every fall raises about $3000 for different causes and more.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      No, I resigned so that I could move on with other projects that I have put off for a long time. However, they have two quite capable people that replace me there.
      Hehe, it took two people to replace Wayne.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Indirectly, yes. I've had quite a few clients who people who have seen designs made for vBulletin, and then proceeded to hire me.
        :)

Comment

I make money from vBulletin doing contract work for custom modifications.

I doubt dev works counts though
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
            I make money from vBulletin doing contract work for custom modifications.

I doubt dev works counts though
            Almost the same here. I am hired as webmaster to install source code hacks or template mods on sites of users who don't know how or just don't have the time.

Comment

Wayne, how does SitePoint make money aside from the ads? I assume the people that write articles get paid and stuff. Is that correct?
              Console Racing Review

Comment

SomethingAwful certainly has.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Stewart
                  Wayne, how does SitePoint make money aside from the ads? I assume the people that write articles get paid and stuff. Is that correct?
                  Not all articles are paid for, however they do pay for articles that fit into their "hot topic" lists. If you are thinking about writing for them, visit their "Write For Us" page and ask questions. Besides advertising on its sites and in its newsletters, SitePoint makes money by the following:

www.editize.com
                  www.sitepoint.com/books/
                  www.sitepoint.com.au

I understand they will have 7 or so new books published over the next couple of years. They have just released the second edition of their PHP/MySQL book which has probably sold almost 10,000 copies by now. They just released a book on CSS. Later this summer they are releasing a book on running a freelance web development book with forms and other information. And so forth... Advertising is becoming a secondary income for them.
                  Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 21st May '03, 7:57pm.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                    Gees what did you do to raise that much money?
                    It was just like a little battle between boards to see who could raise the most money. Seeing as these are both spiritual based sites people were more than happy to help for a worthy cause.
                    version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
                    Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

Believe it or not, I've been making money with my forums since 1997 - when I was still running Matt Wright's WWWBoard script!
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Not all articles are paid for, however they do pay for articles that fit into their "hot topic" lists. If you are thinking about writing for them, visit their "Write For Us" page and ask questions. Besides advertising on its sites and in its newsletters, SitePoint makes money by the following:

http://www.editize.com
                        http://www.sitepoint.com/books/
                        http://www.sitepoint.com.au

I understand they will have 7 or so new books published over the next couple of years. They have just released the second edition of their PHP/MySQL book which has probably sold almost 10,000 copies by now. They just released a book on CSS. Later this summer they are releasing a book on running a freelance web development book with forms and other information. And so forth... Advertising is becoming a secondary income for them.
                        Wow! I knew about the books (the ones already released) but I had no idea about the services side they have. That's pretty awesome.
                        Console Racing Review

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          Believe it or not, I've been making money with my forums since 1997 - when I was still running Matt Wright's WWWBoard script! !
                          Just from advertising?

Comment

Originally posted by tucklis
                            Just from advertising?
                            Sponsorships, which include banner ads. I've also occasionally picked up sponsors for my monthly newsletter.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                              Sponsorships, which include banner ads. I've also occasionally picked up sponsors for my monthly newsletter.
                              That's goods. To be honest I think alot of it depends on what your community is. Optics is quite a niche vbulletin board I would imagine and so you're likely to get a larger share of the "optics community" and more people interested in advertising.

I started my board as a hobby and it has become more of a burden in a way - so I'm thinking that I might actually have to think about getting some of my hosting money back some time in the future.

The trouble is that soccer is a very popular subject and soccer forums are ten a penny. The only forum that I know is making a bit of money is bigsoccer.com

How the heck did you get involved in starting up a forum to do with optics? Did you work in that industry?

K

Comment

Originally posted by tucklis
                                That's goods. To be honest I think alot of it depends on what your community is. Optics is quite a niche vbulletin board I would imagine and so you're likely to get a larger share of the "optics community" and more people interested in advertising.
                                Exactly. For instance a one time, one page ad in one of the Optical journal can cost a company $12-20K. Sponsoring my forum is pocket change for some of them, although not enough are willing to throw their change my way.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X