replied
    If the server would only be running name-based virtual hosting.... :|
    stupid 48+h outage..

Leave a comment:

• Littlebit

• Littlebit
    replied
    Originally posted by Smoothie
    I use to be a VO customer, and seems a though if this were a major problem, there would some mention of it on the VO site. I don't see anything listed for network status. I checked here: http://www.voinfo.net/

no mention of any network problems of any sort....
    Hmmmm, that's true. They always put up the current status of any on going issues or problems and the progress in fixing them. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Smoothie

• Smoothie
    replied
    I use to be a VO customer, and seems a though if this were a major problem, there would some mention of it on the VO site. I don't see anything listed for network status. I checked here: http://www.voinfo.net/

no mention of any network problems of any sort....

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    Is there no way for TWTelecom and AT&T (IIRC the two bad hops) to just redirect traffic for the time being?
    Considering they are primary data providers, I would assume so. However they don't provide support to us.

Support would be something like:
    End-User (you) -> vBulletin Team -> Ventures Online -> Datacenter -> Tertiarary data providers -> Secondary data providers -> Primary Data providers.

Not knowing exactly how Ventures Online data center is setup, I am not sure how much red tape has to be gone through just to talk to a support rep from AT&T let alone get someone to actually do something that doesn't involve union overtime pay. Then again, it may be difficult to reroute 20 GBPS fibre optic lines.

Sometimes things can't be resolved instaneously. We are sorry for the issues that you are having accessing these sites and if it were something under our control they would most likely be working now. We have tried everything on our end, even your previous suggestion of rebooting the server to no avail. We will just have to wait at this time until the upline network problems are resolved. We have notified the appropriate people who are working on the issue.
    Wayne Luke
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sat 10 May '03, 8:07am.

Leave a comment:

• Xenon

• Xenon
    replied
    Originally posted by amykhar
    I am getting the impression from this thread that nobody has even contactacted VO because they don't want to pay the support charge. It seems they are just waiting for the issue to resolve itself and haven't reported it to anybody.

My impressions may be mistaken. I am a bit confused as to who the responsible party would be for this issue. Xenon and Erwin are admins, but the site is sitting on John's server. I don't know who would have to pay for the support ticket or who has the duty to call.

On a side note, do you think the fact that nobody is really sobbing that the template site is down is hurting that crew's feelings?

Amy
    Erwin and Me are responsible for the Content of the site, we have nothing todo with the Server itself.
    As there is also a problem for vb-t, the another responsible person should contact them.

Hell, i even don't know the specifics exactly whats a router or a DNS, i'm just a coder and hoping, that the sites will work again ASAP...

Leave a comment:

• hypedave

• hypedave
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    No we haven't. The issue is not a DNS issue. If it were, then no one could access the site. Access right now is limited to people who do not have to route through particular providers, mostly providers that have large data presences in storm-struck areas of the Midwestern United States.

Hard to fix routers if they are under water or thrown halfway across the state by tornados.
    Yeah I got an email from my old employer stating they want me to come back to work for them on Monday to bring up some weather struck sites. And that sucks big time, it's not a fun thing to do at all

Leave a comment:

• filburt1

• filburt1
    replied
    Is there no way for TWTelecom and AT&T (IIRC the two bad hops) to just redirect traffic for the time being?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    No we haven't. The issue is not a DNS issue. If it were, then no one could access the site. Access right now is limited to people who do not have to route through particular providers, mostly providers that have large data presences in storm-struck areas of the Midwestern United States.

Hard to fix routers if they are under water or thrown halfway across the state by tornados.

Leave a comment:

• rylin

• rylin
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    I'm being ignored, though...has anybody updated the DNS entries for either domain to use vB.com's DNS entries instead or in addition to the current ones?
    Wouldn't help.
    They use IP-based virtual hosting, not name-based.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1

• filburt1
    replied
    I'm being ignored, though...has anybody updated the DNS entries for either domain to use vB.com's DNS entries instead or in addition to the current ones?

Leave a comment:

• magnus

• magnus
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Calm down. I was responding to the claim that Verio managed the nameservers for vbulletin.com and .org.
    And they do, for vbulletin.org. NS1.DN.NET is Verio -- check out http://www.dn.net if you don't believe me.

Leave a comment:

• Littlebit

• Littlebit
    replied
    Whenever, I've had problems with my server @ VO, which usually isn't too often, they never charged me for rectifying a situation. You just submit a ticket to their help desk ...like here. Granted that my server is a shared server (which is usually the ultimate cause of any problem I've ever encountered).
    Anyway, I'm sure that they are all over it right now as far as trying to fix it and that money isn't an issue.

Wayne, I read your first post and believed you from the beginning...you aren't ignored by all of us

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark_Wizard
    I see alot of ideas here and honestly if your a Networking person you can plainly see it's either a layer 3 switch or (most likely) a router issue NOT a DNS issue or a NIC issue!. It appears it may be an interface problem or a routing loop thats why some can get to it while others can't. Whoever controls the routers in VO must check the routing tables and ARP table to see where the problem exists.
    I am not a networking person but I stated it was a routing issue on the first day of the outage. Obviously being a staff member means that I am ignored because none of my posts seem to be read.

Leave a comment:

• amykhar

• amykhar
    replied
    I am getting the impression from this thread that nobody has even contactacted VO because they don't want to pay the support charge. It seems they are just waiting for the issue to resolve itself and haven't reported it to anybody.

My impressions may be mistaken. I am a bit confused as to who the responsible party would be for this issue. Xenon and Erwin are admins, but the site is sitting on John's server. I don't know who would have to pay for the support ticket or who has the duty to call.

On a side note, do you think the fact that nobody is really sobbing that the template site is down is hurting that crew's feelings?

Amy

Leave a comment:

• Broncos

• Broncos
    replied
    I use VO and they have been fine for me. Not the cheapest but usually very reliable. I have never had any of our sites down for more than a matter of hours let alone days.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X