No announcement yet.

vbulletin.org DOWN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm currently getting a page connot be displayed message, so i assume it is still down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol
      They are on the same server but as you noted they use different nameservers. This is why I think the problem is DNS related.

In the past it used to be strongly suggested that you use a secondary nameserver that is on a different network from your primary server. Unfortunately hardly anyone does this anymore.
      No, the nameservers are owned by Verio. I have contacts at Verio who have already verified that the DNS is correctly configured and functional.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnus
        No, the nameservers are owned by Verio. I have contacts at Verio who have already verified that the DNS is correctly configured and functional.
        Nameservers for vbulletin.com:

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.JELSOFT.COM
        NS2.JELSOFT.COM

Nameservers for vbulletin.org:

NS2.DN.NET
        NS3.DN.NET
        NS1.DN.NET
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DNS is not the issue!!! If DNS was broken then you would still be able to ping the server with it's IP, which you can't.

The issue is the path to the server. Traceroute from all over the country shows a packet drop just before it hits the server.
          This tells me that one (or more) of the following is true:

NOTE: Please keep in mind this is my professional opinion. As I have troubleshot these types of problems MANY times.

1. Server problem (this is ruled out by being able to access the sites via proxy)
          2. Nic problems (this could be ruled out by being able to access the sites via proxy, however the NIC could be going bad or shadow casting)
          3. Bad switch port (if the server is configured with multiple NICs)
          4. Bad network cable attached to the 205.214.66.221 NIC (assuming it's on a seperate NIC)
          5. Router problems (This seems like the main problem)

I seriously think the admins need to get on the phone with TW Telecom to get this problem resolved ASAP.

Comment

• Calm down. I was responding to the claim that Verio managed the nameservers for vbulletin.com and .org.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Well theres the post that makes this thread get out of control. Usally would have happened earlier, but at least it took 10 pages before that was posted.

Hey Flash69, lay off the coffee for awhile. I am sure the staff is doing what they can to get this resolved. But if nothing can be done at the moment, then kick back and enjoy the rest of the internet.

Comment

• Steve Machol - I was not attacking anyone, just trying to stop the DNS people...

I am fine.

I am a little shocked this problem has taken over 24 hours to resolve. Good thing it's not here as it would have already been someone's job...

Comment

• my tracert to vbulletin.org

I know you guys are working on it, but I figured I'd post my trace anyway.

Hope it helps.

Tracing route to www.vbulletin.org [205.214.66.221]
                  over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
                  2 17 ms 71 ms 13 ms 10.220.48.1
                  3 10 ms 15 ms 31 ms ubr04-p2-0.rhbthe1.ma.attbb.net [24.128.8.153]
                  4 12 ms 31 ms * 65.96.1.97
                  5 17 ms 11 ms 27 ms bic01-p4-0.ndhmhe1.ma.attbb.net [24.91.0.177]
                  6 12 ms 28 ms 14 ms 12.125.33.33
                  7 12 ms 58 ms 13 ms gbr1-p60.cb1ma.ip.att.net [12.123.40.138]
                  8 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms tbr2-p013501.cb1ma.ip.att.net [12.122.11.201]
                  9 35 ms 37 ms 42 ms tbr2-p012101.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.10.106]
                  10 37 ms 67 ms 44 ms tbr1-p012501.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.9.133]
                  11 51 ms 53 ms 87 ms 12.122.10.118
                  12 101 ms 53 ms 56 ms gbr1-p20.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.122.5.22]
                  13 52 ms 54 ms 69 ms gar2-p360.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.123.36.137]
                  14 55 ms * 54 ms 12.124.158.110
                  15 * * * Request timed out.
                  16 * * * Request timed out.
                  17 * ^C

Comment

• If it were a server issue then the system admin would have fixed it by now (I have heard from him about this.) I'm not very knowledgeable about these things but my guess is that this is a router issue.

One thing that needs to be noted. The site vbulletin.org is not an official Jelsoft supported site.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• So definitely a vB.org problem!!
                      Not true, a router in datacenter that vB.org uses could be dropping packets. They could have been under a DOS attack that made them force a router to drop packets to that address.

Without being able to access the switches, routers, and/or server I cannot tell the exact cause, but I am 100% sure it's one of the reasons listed in my previous post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash69
                        Not true, a router in datacenter that vB.org uses could be dropping packets. They could have been under a DOS attack that made them force a router to drop packets to that address.

Without being able to access the switches, routers, and/or server I cannot tell the exact cause, but I am 100% sure it's one of the reasons listed in my previous post.
                        That is all perfectly logical if vBulletin.com and vBulletin.org were not on the same machine.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• Definately some useful info here: http://www.sprintlink.net/faq/latency.html
                          You're my Prince of Peace
                          And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            That is all perfectly logical if vBulletin.com and vBulletin.org were not on the same machine.
                            You have a good point, however I would think this busy server would have more then ONE NIC. (If I were to setup a busy server like this one I would have more then one NIC, exspecially if it hosted three different busy sites.)

Since I don't know if this server has 2 or more NICs I can't answer that.

Comment

• vb.org: no access?

Is been few days I cannot access the web site, anyone else have the same problem?
                              If so, what is the IP we can access the site?

Thanks guys.
                              Floren Munteanu
                              Axivo Inc.
                              Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

• There are already two threads about it in here, the only way in seems to be a proxy server due to Router/DNS issues. Just look down a few threads below this one

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X