Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fquist
    replied
    "I did not mean that vBulletin should not includes any UBB hacks, it should inlcude only the good and useful ones, also, I said that because some of vBulletin users said that UBB 6.0 has got all the features of vBulletin 1.0 so we are equal, clone=clone "

wrong. ubb 6.0 still comes no-where near close to the amount of features vb 2.0 has. templates and usergroups for example.

"About the security, That happened because you did not followed the standard security process. For example, you've to move your member's dirctory outside the web-tree, chmod 0777 .. etc.
    This happens with all flat-files based systems not just UBB. "

Don't tell us how to do it, our two lead admins are linux techies. But we still got hacked.

"Of course there is only 2 top-secured bulletin board systems : Phorum and WWWThreads .
    On the whole , Perl based scripts are more stable and secure than new PHP scripts. "

vBulletin is pretty secure. And it's **** of a bull that perl would be more secure as php.
    They are both languages.. they have their pros and their cons but none of the two is more secure then the other..

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    Actually, Phorum had an exploit posted on BugTraq that let you run arbitrary commands.

Plus saying that Perl is inherently more secure than PHP is sooo misleading. Back that up and then I'll believe you.

[Edited by Ed Sullivan on 01-20-2001 at 01:24 PM]

Leave a comment:

• JB007
    replied
    Fquist,
    I did not mean that vBulletin should not includes any UBB hacks, it should inlcude only the good and useful ones, also, I said that because some of vBulletin users said that UBB 6.0 has got all the features of vBulletin 1.0 so we are equal, clone=clone
    About the security, That happened because you did not followed the standard security process. For example, you've to move your member's dirctory outside the web-tree, chmod 0777 .. etc.
    This happens with all flat-files based systems not just UBB.
    Of course there is only 2 top-secured bulletin board systems : Phorum and WWWThreads .
    On the whole , Perl based scripts are more stable and secure than new PHP scripts.

Alwaysmefirst,
    I do own a UBB , I've have some experience with vBulletin but not so much.

[Edited by JB007 on 01-20-2001 at 01:02 PM]

Leave a comment:

• Alwaysmefirst
    replied
    Originally posted by JB007
    Anyway, Ted O'Neill has more experience with security problems than vBulletin developers do .. do you know why? because he had developed his script for about 5 years.. and this is an advantage of the UBB.
    Show us your UBB and your Vbulletin, and then we can talk about the two products, ok?
    It is easy to say one board is better than another one without owning them.

Olly

Leave a comment:

• Fquist
    replied
    I'll cool it. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Can I remind everyone that while this is the chit chat forum where anything goes, it is always important to have a balanced discussion. Please do not post inflammatory comments, and be aware that other people will have different views. Also, this is NOT the place for making inappropriate comments about Infopop.

Please continue this conversation bearing in mind that all posts are subjective and represent the views of the poster only.

Thanks,
    John

Leave a comment:

• Fquist
    replied
    "No, I think he means me , Well I'm posting these just to tell: Create New Features !!! Don't include any feature you see from UBB hacks, think , decide and implement"

Ah.. so ubb should add features that are implemented in hacks but vb should not? look at v2. tons of features that were never even in hacks, like templates, co-branding..subforums..

"You are right MitroFan , UBB is not reliable at all for large websites unless you've a powerful servers. Maybe the caching tech. will help? don't know ... "

It won't. The caching tech hardly helps, only for disk space. The posting process is what kills large ubbs.

"Anyway, Ted O'Neill has more experience with security problems than vBulletin developers do .. do you know why? because he had developed his script for about 5 years.. and this is an advantage of the UBB. "

He has more experience? ubb is as insecure as hack. our forums have been hacked more then 4 times. and all the files are world-writable.
    You telling me that the ubb is more secure? I have seen dozens of security bugs being posted there, and only one here.

"Crap , huh?
    Without UBB , there is no vBulletin !!! vBulletin developers are just cloning UBB hacks .."

Yup, so? Isn't microsoft cloning netscape? Isn't Netscape cloning Microsoft? Think again. And who cares hacks are "cloned"? Aren't the infopop people cloning hacks too? Please try to make sense..

"that's all and you think that vBulletin is much powerful than UBB? Let's count .. how many hacks did to UBB and how many to did vBulletin ??!!!"

1. Ubb has existed for 5 years, vBulletin for less then one year. Logical there are more hacks released for ubb.

2. vBulletin has most features that the ubb needs hacks for already, so it needs less hacks.

"in spite of the fact that ubb 5 does not use templates, it is much easier to customize than the vBulletin's template system. "

So you are saying you have tried vBulletin?
    For ubb you have to dig into the code and change it, for vBulletin you can just go to the control panel and change html

Leave a comment:

• JB007
    replied
    No, I think he means me , Well I'm posting these just to tell: Create New Features !!! Don't include any feature you see from UBB hacks, think , decide and implement

You are right MitroFan , UBB is not reliable at all for large websites unless you've a powerful servers. Maybe the caching tech. will help? don't know ...

Anyway, Ted O'Neill has more experience with security problems than vBulletin developers do .. do you know why? because he had developed his script for about 5 years.. and this is an advantage of the UBB.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    YHBT. HAND.

Leave a comment:

• Mitrofan
    replied
    If you mean me as than new user, then I'm sorry I mentioned ***

I mentioned in my earlier post, I am UBB user and the minute I saw Vb, I called my host and had him install PHP on my dedicated server just so that I can switch to Vb. Then I decided to upgrade to another dedicated server with dual PIII and 1G ram. I think it a lot easier to start off with the right server with enough power than having to move mySQL data to another server later on.

Anyway, when people start comparing UBB with Vb, it seems like Vb always comes out on top.

Sure, Vb is not for everyone. Not every server has mySQL/PHP support. Not every user can afford a dedicated server. This is where UBB has the advantage, but for bigger sites it makes a lot of sense to upgrade to the database version. What I like about the database is the possibility to integrate it with other programs like PHPnuke, and my personal goal is to integrate it with mod_auth_mysql so that only registered users can access the premium content of my site. You just can't do that with UBB.

Leave a comment:

• JohnM
    replied
    Hmm... new user registers and posts only stuff about the competition.

(Note: at least this is vB, not IP... otherwise, you'd see: "***6 released here is the list of stuff" )

Leave a comment:

• JB007
    replied
    Well, I agree that Ted should make another version of UBB that supports MySQL at least ( or any other SQL database ) . But this requires are lot of work.

Anyway, Every person chooses the right BB he likes!

Leave a comment:

• Mitrofan
    replied
    VB is not a clone. It may look similar, but many forums look similar. It's up to you how you make it look with templates.

Most people when switching from UBB preffer to keep the new board looking like UBB so it's easy for the users to adapt to the new program.

I have not seen the UBB6 code, but from reading the release notes it looks that UBB6 did not switch to DBM files for the user database. With the text file, there is still a limitation on the number of users, I suspect UBB will be pretty slow to check for valid user on the boards with over 20,000-30,000 users. With mySQL or any database, there is practically no limits on number of users.

UBB should have at least utilized the Unix's DBM format for that.

Leave a comment:

• John Harrison
    replied
    I know what ted is upto:

He is trying to keep people tied to UBB so he takes months to even add the feature.

But to shut us up he releases versions at random to fix bugs which is telling us UBB is a bug product.

Leave a comment:

• John Harrison
    replied
    And you think editing files is better then templates hey?
    Well then I can understand that.

I wouldn't want to search a file that has 100's of lines when in vBulletin I can find the code easy to customtize any part of the board I want. (Better and easier)

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X