Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xp drive sharing ports

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • xp drive sharing ports

    What UDP or TCP ports would I need to open up on a firewall to allow external users to access shared drives on a win xp pro machine?

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    I have all ports and protocols open on my shared network and closed to external machines.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by okrogius
      What UDP or TCP ports would I need to open up on a firewall to allow external users to access shared drives on a win xp pro machine?

      Thanks in advance.
      for fast access, you would normally close all exploitable ports and leave as many available ports open as you can, or you will get socket errors if theyre using ftp or just basic lost connection error, if using any other type of access..
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Asendin
        for fast access, you would normally close all exploitable ports and leave as many available ports open as you can, or you will get socket errors if theyre using ftp or just basic lost connection error, if using any other type of access..
        Didn't know people used FTP to access "SHARED" drives. Those are usually accessible over the Microsoft Network Protocols and FTP isn't needed.
        Translations provided by Google.

        Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

        Comment


        • #5
          Do you know what ports should be opened at minimum to allow this feature to work?

          The reason I'd prefer to only open the apropriate ports and leave the rest closed is due to the fact that how my network is set up. I don't have firewalls within the main network, but in this case it's an extension to allow a 2nd network to access some fiels on a computer which is on the 1st network. This extension is wireless (802.11a) so I would prefer to keep a firewall on most paranoid level.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Didn't know people used FTP to access "SHARED" drives. Those are usually accessible over the Microsoft Network Protocols and FTP isn't needed.
            i prefer ftp over shared access, gateway access is usually faster..

            all depends whats shared and how its shared..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

            Comment


            • #7
              I believe NetBios is all you'd need... should be listed in the Services tab... but i'm not 100%.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NetherChris
                I believe NetBios is all you'd need... should be listed in the Services tab... but i'm not 100%.
                Services doens't seem to have it listed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by okrogius
                  Services doens't seem to have it listed.
                  you have to install netbeui off the XP cd...

                  its not a preferred protocol to use anymore..

                  dir is .VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm pretty positive you need to open port 445 both TCP and UDP, and that you need to have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on your network configuration.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NetherChris
                      I believe NetBios is all you'd need... should be listed in the Services tab... but i'm not 100%.
                      Hmm.. I share drives on my Windows XP based network and do not have Netbios Enabled because of security issues. Nor do I have NETBEUI installed. Netbios can be run under TCP/IP though so NETBEUI is not required for it to work.

                      What you need to have installed is the File and Print Sharing Service under your Network Connection. If you right-click on the Network connection in XP and chose properties, you can install File and Print sharing. Once that is done, you can share files over your standard TCP/IP based network. However, like I said before, I just have every port open on my internal network (192.168.*.* range) and every port closed to outside sources. Since 192.168.*.* is not routable over the Internet, I feel pretty confident that my network is secure enough for everyday use.
                      Translations provided by Google.

                      Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i totally agree there, i would'nt use netbeui at all, in any new network setups
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X