A book on hacking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A book on hacking...

*MODS* I'm not asking anything against the rules!

I'm looking for a book where a hacker/cracker from old talks about his experiences with hacking. Not a tutorial or anything, but a book where somebody actually describes what they did to places, and why. I think it would make a killer story. Has anyone seen anything like that?
    Console Racing Review

You might find The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick an interesting read. It's not so much of a novel type, but nevertheless a good read.

Comment

Eh, I made the mistake of buying that book. Social engineering == common sense.
      Console Racing Review

Comment

Takedown is about how Mitnick was caught. Written by Tsutomu Shimomura (the dude who's computer was attacked by Mitnick) and John Markoff, a new york times reporter who broke the story or something. Apparentely its a good read, albeit somewhat skewed in favor of Shimomura.
        forums: pcfx.cc
        gallery: here

Comment

Originally posted by okrogius
          You might find The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick an interesting read. It's not so much of a novel type, but nevertheless a good read.
          I have that book. I don't like it. It's filled with little anecdotal tales of how social engineers are able to hack their way into many corporations. It was like a hollywood tale. Everything goes well for the hackers. Lacks challenging situations.
          Well, there it is.
          - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

The Blue Nowhere is a novel about hacking (and murder), so it isn't based on any experience of someone, but still very interesting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X
              Takedown is about how Mitnick was caught. Written by Tsutomu Shimomura (the dude who's computer was attacked by Mitnick) and John Markoff, a new york times reporter who broke the story or something. Apparentely its a good read, albeit somewhat skewed in favor of Shimomura.
              Interesting. I've got the movie.
              Console Racing Review

Comment

http://www.antionline.com
                Email: [email protected]
                Site: Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Stewart
                  Interesting. I've got the movie.

From what I've heard that movie is supposed to be terrible. I read that theres a scene in there where Mitnick *whistles* the tone of a phone to break in. Please tell me thats not true..
                  forums: pcfx.cc
                  gallery: here

Comment

It's been awhile since I've watched it. I'm not really sure.
                    Console Racing Review

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X
                      From what I've heard that movie is supposed to be terrible. I read that theres a scene in there where Mitnick *whistles* the tone of a phone to break in. Please tell me thats not true..
                      While it's an entertaining movie, it exaggerates and twists reality so bad you'd think Mitnik was the good guy for hacking, trespassing, and wreaking havoc. That's hollywood for you.
                      Well, there it is.
                      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X