MS security patch slows XP systems to a crawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS security patch slows XP systems to a crawl

Microsoft last week attached a health risk to one its own security patches, following widespread complaints that the fix slowed systems to a crawl.

The problematic patch, designed to fix a flaw in the way the kernel passes error messages to a debugger, was issued on April 16. The vuln affects Windows NT 4.0, NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition, Windows 2K and Windows XP) and is - potentially - very serious.
    However the vuln is also difficult to exploit, hence Microsoft's designation the problem as "important" - and not critical.

For an attack to be successful, an attacker would need to be able to logon interactively to the system, either at the console or through a terminal session, Microsoft explains. Servers are less vulnerable to the issue, according to MS, because of commonplace restrictions on the ability to logon interactively.

Read More
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Haven't had this problem. However, RedHat 9 has slowed my system to a crawl

Comment

Originally posted by stanmxl
      Haven't had this problem. However, RedHat 9 has slowed my system to a crawl
      not a surprise , it was rushed out to Gold status way to early if you ask me
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
        not a surprise , it was rushed out to Gold status way to early if you ask me
        Just trying to make themselves look more even to Mandrake 9.

Comment

Is there a fix to the crawl yet?

I have a fairly capable computer, so I woudn't say it's crawling, but I have noticed that it's been a bit slower than usual lately.. And I always install patches right away, generally, so I've probably installed it.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
            Is there a fix to the crawl yet?

I have a fairly capable computer, so I woudn't say it's crawling, but I have noticed that it's been a bit slower than usual lately.. And I always install patches right away, generally, so I've probably installed it.
            Good call on that one. Id love to know this also.

Comment

Apparently there isn't one.. :O
              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
              Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

The only current fix is to uninstall it.

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
                Highlight Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493 and click Remove. Ignore any warnings and then reboot.
                Techzonez - Tech News
                Techzonez Forums - Tech Community

Comment

Not yet. If you wan't to know when the new fix will be available, you can subscribe to the Microsoft security bulletin.
                  Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
                  Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
                  Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X