1 million users???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 million users???

ok, that's all great and everything, but does anyone have any tips as far as getting that kind of activity? even just a couple thousand members would be nice.

i just had 155 users as of this past weekend, but found out my admin cp was all screwed up because of hacks installed that DIDN'T WORK right. so, i ended up deleting everything and reinstalling vb completely and starting fresh.

i was wondering if i can get some tips, i already have my forum advertised on a couple of other forums, as well as on my windshield (which works, but is very slow), as well as doing the search engine thing.

http://www.seangworld.com/forum

Thanks,

Sean G.
    sigpic

Well, the first thing is to not delete everything when you have a problem. People don't want to see their work be destroyed on a whim. And yes to them it appears to be a whim since they didn't see any problems.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just reupload the standard vbulletin files to make any hacks you installed inert and continue with the forums you had?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Wouldn't it have been simpler to just reupload the standard vbulletin files to make any hacks you installed inert and continue with the forums you had?
      Eheh.. too late.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Exactly what Wayne said, most likely there's nothing wrong with the database [which is the most important thing].

Comment

Originally posted by seangworld
          ok, that's all great and everything, but does anyone have any tips as far as getting that kind of activity? even just a couple thousand members would be nice.

i just had 155 users as of this past weekend, but found out my admin cp was all screwed up because of hacks installed that DIDN'T WORK right. so, i ended up deleting everything and reinstalling vb completely and starting fresh.

i was wondering if i can get some tips, i already have my forum advertised on a couple of other forums, as well as on my windshield (which works, but is very slow), as well as doing the search engine thing.

Thanks,

Sean G.
          As for activity, persistance is all I can say. As long as you're determined at having a great board, and determined to promote it, you'll have activity.

Comment

i thought about saving my db, matter of fact i WANTED to.
            but, i already knew of some errors in there as well. like, when i imported all my users from several different forums, the user id NUMBERS got all thrown outta wack. im the owner of the board, right, used to be user id #1, but then i suddenly became user id #129.

also, after importing, the user ids and threads didn't match up, suddenly john doe said something that actually mary said.

so, my db were screwed up as well, i just put it off and dealt with it because it didn't hurt anyone. but, when you start installing hacks and stuff aint working, sooner or later you're going to need to clean everything up, in my opinion.
            sigpic

Comment

That's why if i plan to make a forum popular, i get a VB license, since it's better to start off with VB then to import
              Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

You're forums dont seem to be all that different than the plethora of the ones out there anyway. Hey mine too, but I keep it around for a small but tight community that we have so I dont really worry about massive members or such. But I personally have no desire to sign up since theres nothing that interests me. Perhaps getting a niche or a unique forum based around something that isnt covered by the other million forums out there might garner some more members and activity.
                forums: pcfx.cc
                gallery: here

Comment

*Yawn*

Originally posted by seangworld

Thanks,

Sean G.
                  Your forum doesn't seem to look like it's got a point to it
                  Also, make your own style be orginal... *yawn* and 90% of your own post's contain swearing/spam type lala, i read a few post's and left

/meh

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X