Uber-cheap 17" LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uber-cheap 17" LCD

http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/?AID=2837431&PID=227502 (no, the referral isn't mine or even related to be)

Apparently $499 final price with a $0.01 3 year replacement plan and free shipping. It's supposed to be a good gaming monitor.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

I have seen less expensive monitors at Best Buy and Costco. Some as low as $329.00 for the 17 inch models.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Think cheap, think eBay

Comment

The same monitor? This one has a quick pixel response (16 ms). Also if you freakishly happen to drop the monitor off your desk somehow you have the replacement plan.

BTW the code for the $499 price is 175for499.

Comment

Originally posted by vBR
          Think cheap, think eBay
          Think no warantee and likely dead pixels...

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
            The same monitor? This one has a quick pixel response (16 ms). Also if you freakishly happen to drop the monitor off your desk somehow you have the replacement plan.

BTW the code for the $499 price is 175for499.
            Same monitor? Nope.. However, I don't necessarily shop by a particular brand... Though I did have an Hitachi CRT monitor explode on a user and send them to the hospital in the past though.

You see, $499.00 is a heck of a lot of money when you are married and have 3 children. Heck, I could build an entire computer with a 17" CRT and Windows XP Home for less than that.

No, I shop for the value that I can get out of an item. It may well be that this is a good value for a gamer. However since I rarely play video games on my PC, the value isn't as high there. For video games, I have a flat 27" shadowmasked television which gives great performance even though it is three years old and it only cost me $299.00 at the time. I can also use it with my Playstation, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2 and the 110 games we have.

I would have to go into the store and see if the color and contrast is available on this monitor before I purchased it. Since it is mail order, that lowers the initial value immensely because I can't see it in action before hand. I can walk into BestBuy, Circuit City or any other local stores and find a monitor that works best for me.

So I guess it all depends on the chance you take. For me a $329.00 17 inch monitor by whoever will probably give me better bang for my buck. Even with the replacement warranty cost, it would be less than your perfect monitor listed above.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

True, each to his own.

Never heard of a monitor exploding just from normal use, though

Comment

I bought a laptop off eBay a few years ago. It was new, but it had a total of 6 or 7 dead pixels -- not enough to warrant a replacement from IBM, but enough to be a bother depending on what I was doing.

So caveat emptor.
                iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Originally posted by bigmattyh
                  I bought a laptop off eBay a few years ago. It was new, but it had a total of 6 or 7 dead pixels -- not enough to warrant a replacement from IBM, but enough to be a bother depending on what I was doing.

So caveat emptor.
                  Personally, I won't purchase anything off of eBay that can be damaged by being dropped. This rules out almost all electronics. .

I will only purchase used electronics from a personally known source i.e. a close friend or family member.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Sometimes you get what you pay for -- especially in LCD monitors when quality can vary from vendor to vendor and model to model.

I shop for LCDs here:
                    http://www.neutronexpress.com/lcat.c...3/LCD_Monitors

I have two of the Iiyama 4315's -- wonderful LCD displays!
                    Matt
                    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X