Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dispair.com trademarks :-( , plans to sue millions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamint
    replied
    I agree with SonnetCelestial. Why couldn't these guys do something *inventive*, you know? Something really out-of-left-field that would get people talking about them... Something that hasn't been done before... Something funny but truly original, too...

Oh wait. I guess they did... They trademarked an emoticon then wrote a fake news story about threatening to sue everyone who ever uses it... And now they've got a bunch of strangers TALKING about it (and, incredibly, it looks like half of the people posting here BELIEVED the article! Hilarious!)

My favorite article on their site is the "Think Same" one. But I'm a Mac-nut, so I was glad to see someone take the piss out on FuturePower...

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/noname3.html

Leave a comment:

• Parker Trasborg
    replied
    I wanna get in trouble for typing that. What are they gonna sue me for. Can you get in trouble if you aren't using it to make money. I saw this posted above and figured I will mention it again because this cracked me up:

Despair has also petitioned the court to require defendants to submit a handwritten letter which repeats the phrase ":-( is a registered trademark of Despair, Inc." one-thousand times. A ruling on the petition is expected within a week.

Leave a comment:

• SonnetCelestial
    replied
    Btw I am not angry, just terribly bored and frustrated of all these "haha I'm the funniest and best because I can parody" sites. Why can't people get off their butts and be inventive instead of making money off of parodies? Not a hot internet stock I'd want to invest.

Leave a comment:

• SonnetCelestial
    replied
    Okay... I apologize (if you can call it that) I didn't waste 5 minutes of my life to learn that his cynical and rather annoying humor has amounted to nothing more than a site parodying every nuance of human failure. As though that hasn't been done by all my arrogant guy friends just that they didn't include pretty pictures to boot.

Parodies are so overdone and overhyped.

Leave a comment:

• Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by SonnetCelestial
    what really makes me laugh is the photo of them eating (they look a bit screwy and one of them has their eyes crossed) AND the fact he wants to change his name to a symbol. Can we say Prince should sue? ;D
    Actualy, Prince has gone back to his "real" name as of Jan 1st, the symbol was just a way for him to break out of a really bad contract for 8 years

Leave a comment:

• Joe
    replied
    Hehe, I have been a dispair fan for years, i have talked to the CEO once, hillarious guy.

All i can say is:

Leave a comment:

• TBIRD
    replied
    :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

SO SUE ME!

I never heard anything so fckn ridiculous

the only ppl who are gonna make any $ here are the Lawyers.

Leave a comment:

• SonnetCelestial
    replied
    what really makes me laugh is the photo of them eating (they look a bit screwy and one of them has their eyes crossed) AND the fact he wants to change his name to a symbol. Can we say Prince should sue? ;D

Leave a comment:

• thetakerfan
    replied
    damn, he would have been able to sue AOL,

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    At the bottom:
    Articles and items appearing in our "Recent Spin" are satirical and are not intended to be an accurate portrayal of the persons, companies or events depicted within them.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    the trademark is real though !

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=75502288

hehe or putting this on your own company website:

Once again, Jeff has proven to be a true innovator. He's really inspired a new movement in the dotcom universe- frivolous, destructive intellectual property lawsuits. I couldn't be happier to be a part of the revolution
    lol

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    there is also a difference to a "trademark" and a "patent". One you charge someone else to use something (like one click ordering or bt's infamous hyperlink one) as opposed to a trademark which is down to passing off as another company.

Leave a comment:

• Me2Be
    replied
    I don't know about all of you, but that line about having to write it 1000 times makes me think of Bart Simpson.

I looked through the news services this morning and didn't see anything about it, so I think it is a hoax too. If it was real, all the newswires would have it I would think.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Susan, come on it is not serious. The patent is real, yes but they are only doing it to protect there logo so no one else can protend to be that company, not to stop people using the "smiley" (the use of the smiley is what makes the logo worth anything!)

You can't really think that phrases like this are being serious can you?

require defendants to submit a handwritten letter which repeats the phrase ":-( is a registered trademark of Despair, Inc." one-thousand times.

Leave a comment:

• Susan
    replied
    John...the lawsuit is serious, I believe, but I think it's as a commentary on how stupid some of these web copyright laws are that are taking shape. (remember the hubbub about Amazon copyrighting the "one click ordering" or the company in the UK that holds the copyright to hyperlinks?)

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X