Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABOUT TIME!!

http://www.fanhome.com

Let's see -- a whole week straight of less than 4 hours of sleep each day -- migrated 4GB over from MySQL to Sybase, total running time of over 30 hours. Gotta love it!
    Matt
    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

It's still a little slow because Sybase has to work some things out before it wakes up, but it works. Whew.
    Matt
    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

congrats... 4GB

yes it's slow for me as well but how's the load holding up ?
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Load is pretty low in TOP. I have a feeling it's because I haven't optimized it a whole lot (been more concerned with finishing the code than the DB indexes, caches, etc.) -- hopefully as I continue to work it the performance will work it's way up there. Also Sybase has "intelligent" data caches and learns where people go and sets it accordingly. It's a little confused right now!
        Matt
        Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic

Comment

great... so are the chances of vB/Sybase offerings still going ahead ?

i am 1/10th of the post count from you but it will be reassuring to know it will work

:: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

It's looking like it will be a 2.0 offering, because I am worn out from just about everything PHP / SQL after this week! Give me some time to recuperate and tweak the DB then we'll see!
            Matt
            Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic

Comment

yup, i could do with this. My forums have already corrupted twice now
              http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

Matt:

Thank you for your downtime . My traffic has been extremely elevated the past few days, and I've noticed many BBB members lurking on my site . It was good while it lasted...

Off to check it out.

-jim

Comment

Uh oh...

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
                  You broke it already

-jim

Comment

Yep, we're messed up. Having 500 users online is breaking the web server!!

Not that that is a bad thing, it just requires beefing up the web box.

*sigh*

New CPU and more ram are on the way and should be in there in under an hour.
                    Matt
                    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic

Comment

Good get it fixed

My board members are starting to think I am satan defending you guys and what you are doing right now - man I have never seen such bad blood between two boards before.

Comment

Originally posted by Zecherieh
                        Good get it fixed

My board members are starting to think I am satan defending you guys and what you are doing right now - man I have never seen such bad blood between two boards before.
                        Ouch! I'm sorry about that -- that really sucks. I was sort of around when the fall-out occured, but I was busy working on other things (Fanhome! ) so I'm not even sure why it happened.

We're upgrading the web box to a PIII800 with 1GB of ram to complement our dual PIII 750 w/1GB RAM database machine. I am still shocked that there are 90 members and 410 guests on as slow as it is!
                        Matt
                        Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic

Comment

Fellow Matt, you're doing it all wrong.

Get yourself an account with hypermart and a UBB. I read a post over at Scriptkeeper telling me that text databases were far better than 'real' databases.

A hypermart/UBB combo packs quite a punch!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                            Fellow Matt, you're doing it all wrong.

Get yourself an account with hypermart and a UBB. I read a post over at Scriptkeeper telling me that text databases were far better than 'real' databases.

A hypermart/UBB combo packs quite a punch!
                            Man, I *knew* we were missing something -- UBB and Hypermart! Who'da thunk!!

For a second there I thought you said "A hypermart/UBB combon packs quite a paunch!"

On a sad note, a PIII 800 with 1GB of ram is showing me:
                            8:54pm up 49 min, 1 user, load average: 8.28, 8.70, 9.07
                            231 processes: 230 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
                            CPU states: 36.0% user, 8.5% system, 0.0% nice, 55.4% idle
                            Mem: 1036288K av, 699820K used, 336468K free, 892420K shrd, 13536K buff
                            Swap: 136512K av, 0K used, 136512K free 28848K cached
                            Load averages that are above 0 are bad!

Time to try and tweak apache now (grumble grumble).
                            Matt
                            Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic

Comment

Ugh... I have to refresh the page about 3 times to get anything, even then it's slow.

Considering the server strain it's excusable though. ;-)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X