Backups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backups

What is a good backup method besides SCSI tape drives etc. and burning it onto a CD-R? Please give me ideas that work like SCSI but are cheaper and is more powerful than burning CDs.

Originally posted by Derekz
    What is a good backup method besides SCSI tape drives etc. and burning it onto a CD-R? Please give me ideas that work like SCSI but are cheaper and is more powerful than burning CDs.

If you don't need to take it out you can backup it to another hardrive, or to another hardrive over the network.

Comment

Ditto, i need backup too..

I have a 100GB hard drive with 4 partitions and a 40GB hard drive, i was to back up 3 of my partitions, how can i do this?
      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
        Ditto, i need backup too..

I have a 100GB hard drive with 4 partitions and a 40GB hard drive, i was to back up 3 of my partitions, how can i do this?
        Highly not recommended. If your drive dies all partitions die, thus rendering your backups useless. If anything get a separate drive.

But even then there's a danger. What if your PC gets stolen or catches on fire? Best way is to make backups and store them elsewhere.
        Well, there it is.
        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I just said i have a 40GB backup drive, and a 100GB drive and i want to backup my three partitions on my 40GB backup drive

Comment

Fine, then. What's a good tape-drive system to get. Is SCSI really the best? What is the price of a SCSI that can back up 20/40 gigs of data at a time? I have nothing SCSI on my computer, so I need the controller, card, tape drive, and any necessary cables.

Comment

40gb at a time is only really attainable by using a DDS/DAT drive. Current DDS drives that are internal SCSI and capable of 20gb/40gb(compressed) per tape run anywhere from $1600-$3000 for lower end units. They really are miracles though, I've dealt with them before and they are simply amazing, the cartridges are basically the size of MiniDV casettes. You may be able to find some older legacy ones but I doubt they'll hold the capacity you want.

Expect about 4-8 hours for a full backup, maybe longer or shorter depending on what system you choose, and $150 for a good SCSI card. Adaptec's are my personal preference, you don't need any RAID or fancy toys, a simple U160 1 channel controller should do just fine for a DAT drive.

[edit] I seem to be mistaken. I found http://rss.seagate.com/products/srss...T3401A-RD.html when browsing Seagate's website. It uses older Travan technology, but it may be your answer (and it's ATAPI to boot). [/edit]

Comment

Tape backups are pain in the ass. Best thing is
                1) Bacup to a separate hard drive. This will solve the problem if your master drive dies. But it won't help if a hacker gets the root password.
                2) Make a cron job to backup your hard work every day OFF site using ftp.

Take care,
                R.L.

Comment

SO how do i backup to another drive...

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
                    SO how do i backup to another drive...
                    it depnds on what you want to backup. Do you want to backup your entire hardrive or just your /home directory or your mysql database?

Comment

I'm on WinXp here, i want to backup 3 of my 4 partitioned drives to a 2nd hard drive, maybe a few certin files on my main hard drive

Comment

How about hot-swap removable SCSI HDDs?
                        Last edited by vBR; Tue 18 Mar '03, 7:25am. Reason: testing

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X