Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merge or just re-register?

Hi,

I have taken over another forum and was thinking about using a hack to import members from one board - but then I thought there may be some disadvantages to this:

1) There may be many users who no longer use their account
    2) Users may be annoyed by this
    3) There may be alot of technical difficulties (and I'm not that technical)
    4) Importing from YabbSE to VB 2.3.0 hasn't been tested properly yet (only to 2.2.9)

I was thinking it may be a better idea to get people to re-register on the new main forum. Has anyone had any experience with this? What do you think?

Cheers,
    Kez

1) you can easily send out emails to them after importing about the merger to draw them back.
    2) annoyed? nahh, just hold a poll
    3) if you have technical difficulties consult one of the whizzes here
    4) hmm, you could import to 2.2.9 on your boards then upgrade to 2.3.0 if you haven't already. That's a sure way for it to work.

best of luck!

Comment

Echo,

Thanks for your replies. You definitely have a point but I think I'm going to ask people to re-register and see how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by EchoHype
        1) you can easily send out emails to them after importing about the merger to draw them back.
        2) annoyed? nahh, just hold a poll
        3) if you have technical difficulties consult one of the whizzes here
        4) hmm, you could import to 2.2.9 on your boards then upgrade to 2.3.0 if you haven't already. That's a sure way for it to work.

best of luck!
        The thing is that I have heard people have had problems both downgrading and also importing another board. Is there any other way?

Thx for your help.

Kez

Comment

the differences in 2.2.9 and 2.3.0 are not that big besides bug fixes and the vbmail function, the importer should work great.

Comment

ok thanks! I'll try this then!

Comment

Actually, a few questions before I think about going ahead with anything like this.

Will the differences in how to 2 boards are setup create many problems. For example the old board gives people the ability to put pictures in signatures and things like that and smiles are different, whereas the new board does not.

Has anyone had any experience in merging two boards?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X