Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesUS
    replied
    The link used to be corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com or something along those lines - then they changed it and I haven't needed to use it since.

However, I have just looked up the new link and it is actually part of the normal Windows Update site. Go to windows update, and when it has loaded click 'Windows Update Catalog' in the left-hand nav bar.

Leave a comment:

• centris
    replied
    I had the link a while back and looked it out, when I clicked it, rather than the corporate update site I was re-directed to the Windows auto-update page?? Seems old Bill is determined to get you

Take a tip from Scotsmist's sig;

The box said "Requires Windows 98 or better" SO I INSTALLED LINUX
    That sig kills me every time I see it

Leave a comment:

• JamesUS
    replied
    Originally posted by centris
    NO, in Norton for example a rule is established by default for Windows update when you install the software. If you delete the rule and then use auto-update you are asked to create another rule (allowing communication with Microsoft servers) The only safe way round is to get to know the sites that get the updates (somehow) so that you can download to your HDD and install via that route.

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/#WindowsXP
    Microsoft do give out downloadable updates through their Corporate Windows Update site, which IIRC anyone can get to. I don't have the URL here though.

Leave a comment:

• centris
    replied
    Originally posted by bigmattyh
    A firewall will keep it from calling home -- or am I wrong?
    NO, in Norton for example a rule is established by default for Windows update when you install the software. If you delete the rule and then use auto-update you are asked to create another rule (allowing communication with Microsoft servers) The only safe way round is to get to know the sites that get the updates (somehow) so that you can download to your HDD and install via that route.

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/#WindowsXP

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by xiphoid
    In shops that don't listen to the rules and sell OEM's without new computers, lol
    You don't need to sell a whole computer to throw in an OEM copy...

Microsoft's licensing rules allows OEM copies to be sold with new CPU's and Harddrives as well.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    In shops that don't listen to the rules and sell OEM's without new computers, lol

Leave a comment:

• CeleronXT
    replied
    Where can you buy the OEM version of the OS though?

Leave a comment:

• bigmattyh
    replied
    Originally posted by vBR
    It is Micro**** that sucks, not it's products (much).
    I want to use some of its software but I am not comfortable with gathering information or poking around.
    A firewall will keep it from calling home -- or am I wrong?

Leave a comment:

• vBR
    replied
    Originally posted by Vile
    It's like I've said before, so many people bash Microsoft, and rant about how MS "sucks" so much, yet they continue to use the products.
    It is Micro**** that sucks, not it's products (much).
    I want to use some of its software but I am not comfortable with gathering information or poking around.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Yeah I do, and yeah I do, but I also have different operating systems which I use. I use windows for the programs that don't perform or aren't as nice to work with yet, as done in windows.

Most security , server management , file management .. the more serious stuff of an operating system, I still prefer to jump to a different os then windows for that.

Leave a comment:

• Vile
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe
    Thats great, just dont ask me for free support if you have a problem...
    It's like I've said before, so many people bash Microsoft, and rant about how MS "sucks" so much, yet they continue to use the products.

Leave a comment:

• Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by vBR
    LOL, I don't want support from Micro****!
    I want to cut them out of the equation as much as possible.
    Thats great, just dont ask me for free support if you have a problem...

Leave a comment:

• centris
    replied
    You might want to take a look at http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7980 and a few others before you get XP. As for ZA, I would go for one of the Norton package deals Anti-virus and Personal Firewall. I switched to SuSe Linux 6 months ago and it's great.

Leave a comment:

• vBR
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe
    OEM does NOT come with support from Microsoft. Retail comes with support. Other then that, the product is the same.
    LOL, I don't want support from Micro****!
    I want to cut them out of the equation as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Joe
    replied
    OEM does NOT come with support from Microsoft. Retail comes with support. Other then that, the product is the same.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X