Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porn Spammer hit my forum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2.30

    2.30 not only helped it, it stopped the spam cold for me. Ten minute upgrade. Users have no problem registering.

    Congrats to the vB team for responding so quickly to this porn spammer problem. You folks are truly awesome...

    Mark
    Mark Cahill
    Reel-Time, the Internet Journal of Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Allthingscahill.com
    Splitcoaststampers.com

    Comment


    • I suggest, just as good measure, that everybody add "dollarmachine" to their censored words list

      Comment


      • Originally posted by mcahill
        2.30 not only helped it, it stopped the spam cold for me. Ten minute upgrade. Users have no problem registering.

        Congrats to the vB team for responding so quickly to this porn spammer problem. You folks are truly awesome...

        Mark
        I'm just agreeing with Mark. The upgrade went smoothly and I haven't had any problems since. I'm a complete newby to vB and mudding my way thru. So if I can do it, I know that anybody else can!

        Comment


        • The admins in my forum caught this fairly quickly, unfortunately they deleted all the posts so I have no way of finding out what the message was. I'd like to add the URL that this jackass is using to my censored word list. So that in case it gets in again, people don't end up clicking on the link by accident.

          I will be upgrading to 2.3.0 RC3 in the very near future, but until then it would be nice to at least foil some of this guy's plans.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ASRacer
            The admins in my forum caught this fairly quickly, unfortunately they deleted all the posts so I have no way of finding out what the message was. I'd like to add the URL that this jackass is using to my censored word list. So that in case it gets in again, people don't end up clicking on the link by accident.

            I will be upgrading to 2.3.0 RC3 in the very near future, but until then it would be nice to at least foil some of this guy's plans.
            Im personally waiting till 2.3.0 goes final before upgrading. Any ballpark ideas when that will be?

            Comment


            • In March for sure, probably sooner then later !

              Comment


              • Originally posted by xiphoid
                In March for sure, probably sooner then later !
                eek we have gone from yesterday to sometime in March.

                Comment


                • It's March now...

                  Comment


                  • Has anyone had this username register:
                    hotgin20

                    email: [email protected]

                    it just registered today and looked suspicious...?
                    http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                    http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

                    Comment


                    • BonBon.net is one of the emails the bot is using now, so I'd say you got yourself another one.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Michelle69
                        BonBon.net is one of the emails the bot is using now, so I'd say you got yourself another one.
                        I think you're right!

                        I just banned the e-mail domain @BonBon.net

                        do you know of any other e-mail domains it's using?
                        http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                        http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                        http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

                        Comment


                        • I think I have an idea!

                          I just made 'Location' a required registration field, let's see if the spam bot can handle that!
                          http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                          http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                          http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Prince
                            do you know of any other e-mail domains it's using?
                            Listed in this thread

                            I'd be interested to know if the Location required field works, be sure to let us know!

                            Comment


                            • Here's my most recent wannabe attacker:

                              Username: gymifty9
                              IP Addy: 198.94.127.6
                              Email Addy: [email protected]

                              Comment


                              • I've been adding the IPs to my htaccess file as I go along. Am I brainfarting here but where do you bann e-mail domains like bonbon.net ?

                                Thanks - and I hope to upgrade to RC3 tonight. In the meantime I'm moderating new users. This sucks as now I'm getting into my busiest time and have had my most legitimate users sigining up

                                So how we gonna make this guy miserable?
                                Surfcaster, trapped in a boater's body...

                                Fish Hard - Live Long

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X