Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathy
    replied
    I agree. At my site there are too many posts/threads and I do not delete posts for anyone. I don't let them delete their own posts (didn't have this in the early days of my site and a member went through and deleted posts right and left, leaving big holes in threads or entire threads altogether. I changed my opinion on this in a hurry)

It is the policy of my board that if someone registers, agrees to the TOS and then later want to have their threads deleted, it isn't going to happen.

If the user is concerned for their privacy...I'll work with them to alter their username, hide all personal info (retaining the info within my "Admin COmments" in the cp in case it turns out to be a case for the legal end of the world) to be helpful, but I won't delete posts.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    Deleting posts are too much trouble! On my site, I am the only person that has the right to remove posts (and that's not going to happen unless it violates the TOS agreement)! Just think... if that person was the primary thread starter it is going to remove all followup post, possibly resulting in the loss of thousands upon thousands of posts! This may cause confusion for your other members, or anger them to the point of leaving your site! If they post to your site, then they have willfully done so, and therefore their posts should remain!

Leave a comment:

• MUG
    replied
    Originally posted by Total Cult
    If you do want to delete his posts, just UPDATE posts SET post='' WHERE userid='whatever'

That's if you do want to delete them.
    That would be "UPDATE post SET pagetext='' WHERE userid=X"

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Why not add a clause in your TOS that tells people you will charge them $100 for deleting all of their posts? Then just disable the delete post feature.

Leave a comment:

• Total Cult
    replied
    If you do want to delete his posts, just UPDATE posts SET post='' WHERE userid='whatever'

That's if you do want to delete them.

Leave a comment:

• bigmattyh
    replied
    If you're concerned about it, you should consult a lawyer. But if you don't think it's serious, I believe that the law says that all posts on that board become the property of the board owner. If you have a statement in your sign-up rules that explicitly states that, you're in even better shape. Again, though, if you don't, I'm 85% sure the guy has no recourse against you.

Leave a comment:

• vBR
    replied
    Originally posted by Beorn
    If you haven't altered the registration agreement, it said "The owners of ThisForum.com have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason." when the person registered, meaning delete away
    I think you misunderstood.
    This is not a question of an admin's right to delete posts but to refuse to allow a user to have their posts removed.

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    replied
    Originally posted by Jakeman
    There was a thread about this a while back. What was the legal interpretation again? Do I have to delete a user's posts if they request it?

My site is served out of the US, and the user in question is from Canada.

If you haven't altered the registration agreement, it said "The owners of ThisForum.com have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason." when the person registered, meaning delete away

Leave a comment:

• vBR
    replied
    He originally posted with full knowledge that it was in the public domain.
    He is the author you are the publisher.
    You hold the rights of republication.
    He only has the right to amend / delete his posts if you grant him the right to do so.
    Beware, though. Revoking this right for a single user may be viewed as discriminatory.
    As admin you have the right and the power to handle the situation as you see fit.
    You could allow him is wish and let him delete his own posts. You are under no obligation to assist.
    Alternatively, you could reinstate all his posts and ban him if he in now becoming abusive.

The ball is in your court.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    If he wants his post gone you have oblige him unless you have a disclaimer that states all posts by a user become property of the forum. I would remove them and be done with him.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
    Jake offer to delete his username so the posts are all set to guests.
    I don't want to do him any favors at this point. He's getting smart with me.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Jake offer to delete his username so the posts are all set to guests.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Originally posted by Jakeman
    He was deleting the posts himself, but I noticed and stopped him. He deleted about 1800 posts. I can reintegrate them from a backup with a little work, but I want to know if he can force me to delete his posts.
    no he can't jake, legally what you cant do is copy word for word his posts into other content, webpages, emails, without his consent (which he obviously isnt going to give lol,) "he's the author but thats all" sounds dumb, but thats the legal side of it.

Leave a comment:

• CeleronXT
    replied
    He can't force you to do anything, but he can do it himself since technically he does have the right to delete his posts if he wants to go through the work to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    He was deleting the posts himself, but I noticed and stopped him. He deleted about 1800 posts. I can reintegrate them from a backup with a little work, but I want to know if he can force me to delete his posts.

Leave a comment: