This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn tiring waiting for vb3

Whats the point of renewing a license, thinking vBulletin 3.0 will be release - and it isn't.

It's getting out of hand the time we have to wait for this damn script. I've been quiet about it, and now I've just lost my patience.

The moderators and developers just say "it will be out when its done". What kind of answer is that? Give us a date.

I think most people agree with me here. And I personally dont even find a point to renewing my license anymore until it's released for sure. Cause I renewed this license a few months ago, and its been a complete waste of money.

If they give a date then everyone will be like; "It was supposed to be released on XXX, where is it?"...

Besides, if it's released now everyone will just be complaining about all the RC's they'll be putting out to patch up the bugs because it couldn't be fully testing due to everyone nagging them to put it out. Good things take time...

Comment

I understand your frustration Fred, but CRYINGoutLOUD is right, and I agree with him.

It's either release a buggy product when it's not ready, or finish it, and release a stable working product.
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

Think about it from a consumers point of view though, bro. You pay for a renewal or a full license. And you dont get jack **** during those months. Why bother paying?

If they tell us the date it will be released, then we will know when to buy our license.

Cause, as of right now, I've gotten nothing out of my latest license.

Comment

Meh, it happens. Would you rather have your gangsters and pimps mad at you for having a buggy software, or would you rather have them posting without any issues with 2.2.9?

Comment

There was never any guarantee anywhere that vB3 would even come out. Jelsoft is still distributing and promoting 2.2.x and I see it more as a gift the way you can upgrade to a new major version for free. Most software companies require at least an upgrade fee.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Bravo. You just fifgured out why no develpoer likes to give out "the software will be availible on the xth of y of zzzz". NO one ever promises you any dates when a software willbe availible, and annoying developers about it is certainly not going to make your case better.

Would you prefer vb3 fast but VERY buggy and without many new features, or when it's fully done but stable and having the best features around? If you picked the first option, then you should just find something else on the market - and pretend that's your vb3.

Comment

Fred, it would be much appreciated if you could point out to me where a moderator or a developer says "it will be out when its done".

I have never seen that type of response from vB Staff before... Thanks!

Comment

I know from experience, that working on deadlines is just stressful, and an overall bad thing to do if you want a quality product.

Rushing things never helps. (Take a look at Windows...)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg from DH

Rushing things never helps. (Take a look at Windows...)
                    I wouldn't do that, it's very sensitive, it may crash.

Comment

You could have waited for vB3's release to renew your upgrades access.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                        Whats the point of renewing a license, thinking vBulletin 3.0 will be release - and it isn't.

It's getting out of hand the time we have to wait for this damn script. I've been quiet about it, and now I've just lost my patience.

The moderators and developers just say "it will be out when its done". What kind of answer is that? Give us a date.

I think most people agree with me here. And I personally dont even find a point to renewing my license anymore until it's released for sure. Cause I renewed this license a few months ago, and its been a complete waste of money.
                        AFAIK vB2.2.10 will be released this week, or am i wrong?
                        Kier said vB3.0 private testing will start this week also, and the public beta hopefully released within a few weeks time, so, just relax.
                        Let them do their job by trusting them and giving them time to fix major bugs, IMO they are doing a fantastic job and they deserve the gratitude and the admiration of the entire community.
                        You're my Prince of Peace
                        And I will live my life for You

Comment

Do you have an owned license? If so then don't renew it until 1) you need to upgrade to a new 2.2.X version or 2) vBulletin 3.0 is released. Then you won't be waiting and you won't feel that you needlessly wasted money.

I should say that since the development of vBulletin 3 started there have been 14 releases of the software including one semi-major release (2.2.0). This is well worth the $30.00 in renewal fees. Averaging out to about 3 dollars per release.

If you have a leased license, your renewal includes the right to run your forums for another year so the point is moot.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

So once VB3 is released you will start working on VB4?
                            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

That is most likely the plan. There will probably be a new branch added to the CVS tree to handle vBulletin 4.0 while 3.0 continues on. Whether or not actual development on vBulletin 4.0 happens at that time is another story.

However future development won't take as long. With vBulletin 3.0, a lot of the underlying foundation had to be reconstructed for stability and scalability. This backend work took 90% of the time and resulted in new ways of thinking and accomplishing common tasks. Like for example a complete list of forums in display order and by parentid takes a lot fewer queries than before (I think it only takes one but haven't verified). Many other things have completely changed as well as whole new systems being added.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X