No announcement yet.

VB3 release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone know of a good sponsor my domain will be ready shortly and I am selling stuff cheap just to buy vb

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
      Look at this situation another way, would you like Jelsoft to rush out vb3 before most of the critical bugs have been fixed and then have a lot of customers complaining that they've paid for a product that has so many flaws in it that it becomes unusable and then they say "stuff Jelsoft" we will go and use other BB software.
      No, of course I wouldn't want them to do a rush-job on vB3, but that's a false choice and we all know it. It ain't like flipping a coin: "Heads, we wait two years, or tails, we get crap."
      It would really damage Jelsoft's reputation and also they've never given out a release date, it's just rumours that have been circulating.
      I think it's damaging enough that v3 has taken this long to come out. It's been almost 2 years since version 2 came out, and 1.5 years since the last major upgrade. I don't know: Am I being unreasonable to expect a major version upgrade within a year?

We're paying by the year, here, folks. That's the whole freakin' point. We don't want v3 to come out because we like the developers (even if we do), or because we really really really want to support their efforts to make great software (even if we do). It's because we paid for a service and we rightfully expect better than this.

(And finally, it hasn't helped the "rumors" aspect of this that the devs themselves have contributed to the speculation of when v3 would be out. One said that a preview might be available before the end of March 2002; another later said that August might be when the public beta would be released.)
      Last edited by bigmattyh; Mon 10 Feb '03, 11:26am.
      iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Originally posted by bigmattyh
        No, of course I wouldn't want them to do a rush-job on vB3, but that's a false choice and we all know it. It ain't like flipping a coin: "Heads, we wait two years, or tails, we get crap."
        I think it's damaging enough that v3 has taken this long to come out. It's been almost 2 years since version 2 came out, and 1.5 years since the last major upgrade. I don't know: Am I being unreasonable to expect a major version upgrade within a year?

We're paying by the year, here, folks. That's the whole freakin' point. We don't want v3 to come out because we like the developers (even if we do), or because we really really really want to support their efforts to make great software (even if we do). It's because we paid for a service and we rightfully expect better than this.

(And finally, it hasn't helped the "rumors" aspect of this that the devs themselves have contributed to the speculation of when v3 would be out. One said that a preview might be available before the end of March 2002; another later said that August might be when the public beta would be released.)
        SILENCE!!!!
        Never question the ways of the Devs, or else they will haunt you down with their malicious code
        You're my Prince of Peace
        And I will live my life for You

Comment

Originally posted by bigmattyh

Ok man, there are only a few devs and they put all their work and time into a new verison. They are very shorthanded I think, I do believe they need one or two more to bolster code production and bug finding/fixing. Please dont complain, let them do their job. The more time they have to spend reading these threads over and over again takes time away from when they could be working.

Comment

i dont mean to annoy anyone, but is there a chance vB3 doesnt
            reach stable version in 3 months?
            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

Most likely, although you never know man, it really all depends, if a major bug comes up it might push the release back a bit, there is no way of telling.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Briscoe
                Ok man, there are only a few devs and they put all their work and time into a new verison. They are very shorthanded I think, I do believe they need one or two more to bolster code production and bug finding/fixing.
                I'm totally convinced of that. Back in August, Kier mentioned that he had three or four HUGE vB3 projects to tackle, including the private messaging system, the WYSISYG, and all the HTML (and surely the testing for cross-browser compatibility). Kier's a fantastic coder -- I have nothing but respect for his abilities. But think: if all those things have to go through him, that's a really thin pipeline.

And again, that's the issue -- not the amount of work that has to go into vB3, but the speed at which it's carried out. Lest anyone else say, "Just be glad they're coming out with a vB3, think of it as a gift" (or some such): Upgrades aren't a grace; they're a reasonable expectation when members-area renewals cost money.

Look, I hate to complain, but there's one thing that definitely needs to be addressed for next time: please have a better idea of how long the work will take, and keep us customers informed. I say to anyone who thinks I'm being too harsh or unreasonable, and that I should be glad that any work is done: It's a two-way street. As much as I like vBulletin, Jelsoft has to want to keep its customers, too. There's a growing imbalance here, which could have been easily remedied -- and still could be -- by a little more communication and a better idea of how long this process would take.
                iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                  i dont mean to annoy anyone, but is there a chance vB3 doesnt reach stable version in 3 months?
                  I would be very, very surprised if a stable, gold version of vB3 is released before May 11th, 2003.

It's possible that they may begin private beta tests within the next 3 months, but based on the development and delays that have sprung up around vB3 so far, my advice is to not bank on it ever being done.

For people that are waiting to extend/buy a license because they want to be sure to get vB3, I would recommend waiting until there is actually an announcement in the announcement forums that states that a stable version of vB3 is ready to download.

That's just my advice based on the fact that when I bought this forum software about a year ago, I was told in a support ticket that vB3 should be released during Q2 of 2002. Obviously that didn't happen and to be quite honest this has lead to nothing but disappointment with vbulletin as a whole. So, don't be like me. Don't pay for something that doesn't even exist yet and possibly won't for a very long time.
                  Last edited by Ang; Sun 23 Feb '03, 4:44pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ang
                    I was told in a support ticket that vB3 should be released during Q2 of 2002.
                    Can you prove this?

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
                      Can you prove this?

Edited - took out link. I'm not sure if it's safe to post it or not.
                      Last edited by Ang; Sun 23 Feb '03, 4:32pm.

Comment

Thank you.
                        I'm not sure if it is safe for you to post that link.

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
                          I'm not sure if it is safe for you to post that link.
                          I didn't even think about that, I edited the post to remove the link.

Comment

Hi
                            Ang
                            02-23-2003 07:35 PM .. proof of concept ..

No, it is not safe to post your support ticket URL's in the forums

- xiphoid ([email protected]
                            )

As you can see, it is not safe to post it. I could request : Delete my license please :P

I have put my name in there, to show you .. who did it

Comment

Interesting reading indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                                Hi

As you can see, it is not safe to post it. I could request : Delete my license please :P

I have put my name in there, to show you .. who did it
                                Pretty lame thing to do.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X