Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominick
    replied
    I call bs... hotmail has to be running a round robin with router set to mask win2k with iis...

Ill be laughing my behind off if someone changes that routers auth over to win 95...

Leave a comment:

• Dominick
    replied
    if they do here is a tip

comp usa usually takes older software out of the boxes and displays just the jewel case...

dont put the license info on the outside of the jewel case. people will walk by write it down and make out like a bandit...

<cough>how do you think I play counterstrike!</cough>

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Originally posted by Asendin
    Yes I know, i posted they ran on NT also
    No, actually you posted
    They dont use freeBSD, hotmail has always been on NT.
    which quite clearly indicates that you don't "know" that they ran it on FreeBSD.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    no lol

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    You encouraging us to hack HotMail or something?

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    Hotmail ran on FreeBSD even after MS bought it. It has since switched to Win2000 as Wayne said.
    Yes i know, i posted they ran on NT also

while we are on the topic of windows.

you all might wanna take a look at this

Windows XP Security Patch: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Redirector Could Allow Privilege Elevation

http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...displaylang=en

Leave a comment:

• CeleronXT
    replied
    Lol... this is definetly a case where the thread's subject has skewed very far from the original intention.

Leave a comment:

• Raz Meister
    replied
    From the article:
    A check with Netcraft shows that Hotmail's front edge servers do indeed run Windows 2000, so Microsoft can faithfully claim that the "web site runs Windows", as it did yesterday. But the infrastructure is still stored on BSD kit. How much we're not sure, but when we receive hard numbers, we'll tell you.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    Originally posted by Chen
    Hey Dave, I've been wondering for a while what the commands in your signature do. Has something to do with UBB?
    Is searches for any unix process running with the handle 'ubb' and kills them

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    Hey Dave, I've been wondering for a while what the commands in your signature do. Has something to do with UBB?

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/...ww.hotmail.com

Leave a comment:

• Raz Meister
    replied
    They were using FreeBSD on parts of Hotmail after Windows 2000 was released as it couldn't handle the load (or so I read).

They have probably transferred over now, but its interesting to note that Windows 2000 isn't as scalable as FreeBSD.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Originally posted by Asendin
    They dont use freeBSD, hotmail has always been on NT.

They use HP unix, solaris.

Test servers - Linux (Redhat) (Mandrake) , off the Multiple OC48's
    Hotmail ran on FreeBSD even after MS bought it. It has since switched to Win2000 as Wayne said.

Leave a comment:

• Raz Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Hotmail has been running on Windows 2000 server since shortly after that OS was released. They did have problems trying to convert it to Windows NT 4.0 Server but that was because they also eliminated 20% of the servers it was using under FreeBSD. Currently all of Microsoft's Internet properties run on Windows 2000 Datacenter version. Hotmail is still utilizing 20% less resources than when it was on FreeBSD even with the continued growth of MSN.
    Heres what TheRegister had to say on this about a year ago.
    Microsoft admits it still hasn't upgraded its Hotmail system to Windows, almost four years after embarking on the task, and fifteen months after the first load balancing machines began to be shifted to Windows 2000 from FreeBSD.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/23348.html

Not sure what the situation now is.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by hankster
    To quote:

Full story at http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt/hotmail.html
    I refer you to my previous post on this topic:
    Hotmail has been running on Windows 2000 server since shortly after that OS was released. They did have problems trying to convert it to Windows NT 4.0 Server but that was because they also eliminated 20% of the servers it was using under Solaris. Currently all of Microsoft's Internet properties run on Windows 2000 Datacenter version. Hotmail is still utilizing 20% less resources than when it was on Solaris even with the continued growth of MSN.

Windows 2000 was not released in 2000... Surely this supersedes your argument.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X