No announcement yet.

Jelsoft in a box!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting vB in a box won't make it sell better.

Putting it in retail outlets is like putting the remote in the fridge. The people who are looking for it won't look for it there, and those who do find it will ignore it because it's not what they're looking for either. How many webmasters do their serious webmaster shopping at Best Buy? If it's more than three, I'll buy you dinner.
    iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Originally posted by bigmattyh
      Putting it in retail outlets is like putting the remote in the fridge. The people who are looking for it won't look for it there, and those who do find it will ignore it because it's not what they're looking for
      That is possibly the best analogy I've heard to date.

Comment

Originally posted by vBR
        That is possibly the best analogy I've heard to date.
        It's freakin' brilliant.

Comment

Why not?
          It could have a collection of styles / buttons also included. I would submit some of mine - but to whom? Is there anybody outhere?

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
            It's true. They only use it to see what it has to offer. As far as i am told. Hey, i go over to my neighbors house who works at MS and he has linux books.
            I think they are still using FreeBSD to support the load of Hotmail. They tried to switch to Windows, but it didn't work good so they went back.
            Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Chen, yo u know yourself that it takes quite a lot of time to install all those hacks needed, so it's quite like setting up a MySQL server.

Comment

I agree, this would be a great idea

You could charge about $10 more for the boxed version, and only have a owned licence

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/backstage/

More specifically, http://www.microsoft.com/backstage/inside.htm

It details exactly what servers, etc. they're using.
                  :)

Comment

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                    I think they are still using FreeBSD to support the load of Hotmail. They tried to switch to Windows, but it didn't work good so they went back.
                    Hotmail has been running on Windows 2000 server since shortly after that OS was released. They did have problems trying to convert it to Windows NT 4.0 Server but that was because they also eliminated 20% of the servers it was using under FreeBSD. Currently all of Microsoft's Internet properties run on Windows 2000 Datacenter version. Hotmail is still utilizing 20% less resources than when it was on FreeBSD even with the continued growth of MSN.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I think it'd be better to sell an "Idiot's guide to online bulletin boards" and have an entire section devoted to vB usage.

You guys don't know how many people out there don't register because they just don't know how.
                      Well, there it is.
                      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

They dont use freeBSD, hotmail has always been on NT.

They use HP unix, solaris.

Test servers - Linux (Redhat) (Mandrake) , off the Multiple OC48's
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

To quote:
                          22-April -1998 - The software giant has attempted to exchange the Sun/Solaris infrastructure of Hotmail with NT since buying it in December 1997. However, the demands of supporting 10 million users reportedly proved too great for NT, and Solaris was reinstated.
                          Full story at http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt/hotmail.html

Comment

Originally posted by hankster
                            To quote:

Nothing against you or anything, and dont take this the wrong way but

http://www.kirch.net

plus its 4 yrs old??
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by hankster
                              To quote:

I refer you to my previous post on this topic:
                              Hotmail has been running on Windows 2000 server since shortly after that OS was released. They did have problems trying to convert it to Windows NT 4.0 Server but that was because they also eliminated 20% of the servers it was using under Solaris. Currently all of Microsoft's Internet properties run on Windows 2000 Datacenter version. Hotmail is still utilizing 20% less resources than when it was on Solaris even with the continued growth of MSN.

Windows 2000 was not released in 2000... Surely this supersedes your argument.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                                Hotmail has been running on Windows 2000 server since shortly after that OS was released. They did have problems trying to convert it to Windows NT 4.0 Server but that was because they also eliminated 20% of the servers it was using under FreeBSD. Currently all of Microsoft's Internet properties run on Windows 2000 Datacenter version. Hotmail is still utilizing 20% less resources than when it was on FreeBSD even with the continued growth of MSN.
                                Heres what TheRegister had to say on this about a year ago.
                                Microsoft admits it still hasn't upgraded its Hotmail system to Windows, almost four years after embarking on the task, and fifteen months after the first load balancing machines began to be shifted to Windows 2000 from FreeBSD.
                                http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/23348.html

Not sure what the situation now is.
                                Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X