X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheHideoutGuy
    replied
    Wow..

Talk about Sparking memories... My BBS/Web Site just turned 10 on Thanksgiving day. I started out late in the BBS era, running a 3 line version of Oracomm Plus. Perhaps the coolest part about that software was the chat, you could have as many public and private "chat rooms" as you wanted. In private chat you could see the other person typing letter by letter (and even type with them to totally mess with their head!). I miss many things about the old BBS but I also welcome many things these web-based forums have to offer.

The one thing that I really miss is the tight integration that BBS's offered. With Oracomm for example one could call another member into chat no matter where on the system he/she was...
    Or how about the multi-player games where you could (if you had the lines) have 3-4 people all playing the same game with or against one another, no special gaming servers required. I also being able to see exactly what the user was seeing, I could literally "peek" into a users session and see exactly what they were seeing, if a user was having difficulty with part of the system I could help them along much more easily...

These are things that I sorely miss on the web. If I could get a hold of the source code for that old software I would certainly consider adding a telnet-vB gateway. Unfortunately the author passed on several years ago taking with him the source code as far as anyone knows..

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    I quite liked apples - i think in the 3 years I had my A5000 it crashed twice. I remember I used to just pratice typing while i was waiting for it to start up most times. When i went to a friend to use his pc one i tried the same thing, I found it hard to believe he put up with a computer that would just freeze the whole time

Leave a comment:

• JamesUS
    replied
    Originally posted by chrispadfield
    on the old nostalgia, not quite as long ago but did anyone here use Acorns? That was a great operating system, i remember upgrading mine from 2MB ram to 4MB ram as a christmas present I also remember considering paying some horrible amount of money for a cd-rom drive, so glad I didn't!
    I used Acorns for a while I also remember in school - all we had in terms of computers was a load of crappy Acorns, with NT servers. We all thought it was wonderful when they finally found the money to get some decent Windows machines

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    on the old nostalgia, not quite as long ago but did anyone here use Acorns? That was a great operating system, i remember upgrading mine from 2MB ram to 4MB ram as a christmas present I also remember considering paying some horrible amount of money for a cd-rom drive, so glad I didn't!

Leave a comment:

• Nupraptor
    replied
    I've seen no visible signs of such, and I reformat at least twice a year to keep Win98 happy.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaizen

How do you know ?
    hehe

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    Originally posted by Nupraptor
    Surprisingly, I've never gotten a virus.
    How do you know ?

Leave a comment:

• Nupraptor
    replied
    BBSes? When I first started using the net, I (quite literally) thought that "the internet" was comprised of mIRC and free pr0n. I never visited any sites or newsgroups.... just idled in IRC channels and accepted the random zip of jpeg's that was sent to me. Surprisingly, I've never gotten a virus.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    What do you mean remember?

They are still around. I am a member of one and login daily (on usually 24/7 actually). They don't allow dial-up anymore but you telnet in now. Still has the same ANSI graphics and chatrooms, text-based games, and old mail systems. Actually have 3 accounts on this one mainly for playing games and chatting. MY accounts are usually in MajorMud right now but I am not always at the keys.

The address is www.coffeebbs.com. For telnet it is coffeebbs.com:21.

Just tell them that PsychoKnight sent you.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    I remember the old ANSI BBS's. I used to use a local two line one. Was never any good though, but it was fun.

Trouble was at 4p a minute as it was I couldn't afford more than a few minutes online

Leave a comment:

• FWC
    replied
    Originally posted by Shaman
    I ran a 10 line BBS out of my bedroom on DLG-BBS (on an Amiga 2000 with GVP 68030 processor card and 8MB of memory). I have a lot of memories, some good and some bad.
    Nice setup! Amigas were the best. Windows XP is the first operating system I've had since Amigados 3.x that is really decent. Of course, you have to have hundreds of megs of RAM and a monster CPU.

Leave a comment:

• FWC
    replied
    My first BBS was on an Atari ST with a 2400 baud Supra modem. Then I upgraded to a US Robotics Courier HST at a whopping 14.4 Kb. HST's were the modem kings for a while. I remember dialing in to 300 baud boards. It was like watching a fast human type as the screen loaded.

Leave a comment:

• GraphicW
    replied
    I still use my Commodore PC's to this day. Can you actually believe that a Commodore 64 can cruise the web at 56K showing web graphics? It's all indeed possible. You would be surprised to find a company still dealing in Commodore Upgrades up to this very day. www.cmdweb.com

Leave a comment:

• Chris Schreiber
    replied
    I had a few freinds that ran BBSes.... I remember WildCat being a popular one to run among others. And yes, I remember downloading (what seemed like) huge programs over my 2400 baud modem. I remember the chat BBSes had all 300 baud modems. Yikes!

Leave a comment:

• Shaman
    replied
    I ran a 10 line BBS out of my bedroom on DLG-BBS (on an Amiga 2000 with GVP 68030 processor card and 8MB of memory). I have a lot of memories, some good and some bad.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X