This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed

Well soon my leased vB lisense runs out. I bought it nearly a year ago, looking forward to having a vb community but also after reading some of the boards also looking forward to vB3. It looks like I wont have a chance to check it out now nearly a year later. Oh well maybe I should read up on it more next time. Its been a fun year though.
    Last edited by rastachops; Wed 8 Jan '03, 9:32am.

Why don't you just renew your license?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Exactly.
      Console Racing Review

Comment

Heh I missed that option out. Its too expensive for my small site. I bought vB initially caus I was fed up of YaBB. Im not running a huge site by any means and its so theres nothing to justify it as its too expensive for me now (im at uni now ).

Comment

Originally posted by rastachops
          Heh I missed that option out. Its too expensive for my small site. I bought vB initially caus I was fed up of YaBB. Im not running a huge site by any means and its so theres nothing to justify it as its too expensive for me now (im at uni now ).
          So you're fed up with vB and you'll go back to YaBB?
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

You should have bought owned and renew ONLY when vb3 is released. And if you decide to switch, just make sure you select something rather than YaBB
            HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

So you wanted to run vB3 for a year and then take down your forums? A leased license expires after one year... meaning if you don't buy another license after one year, you must take down your forums.

Comment

Well soon my leased vB lisense runs out. I bought it nearly a year ago, looking forward to having a vb community but also after reading some of the boards also looking forward to vB3. It looks like I wont have a chance to check it out now nearly a year later. Oh well maybe I should read up on it more next time. Its been a fun year though.
                Don't let all these guys give you a hard time, rasta. I'm disappointed too, that it's taken so long to release vB3. Each major version before this took about 6 months to release, and now with vB3, it's been well over a year. I think a lot of us have gotten our hopes up and have been let down.
                iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

Again, an owned lisense ($160) was far too much back then when I had never used vB from an admin PoV.

Well I will be taking my vb forums down and replacing them with the Invision Power Board forums. They are pretty much a free clone of vB and do offer a free post converter. I know it wont be as polished as vB is but at least our forums will be able to continue. If vB 3 is great I guess I may buy another years leased lisense (or even an owned lisense if the demand in the forums will still be there) once there is a tried and tested version out. Then I guess ill meeting the dilema of not being able to convert the posts, threads and users back from Invision to vB. :sigh:

Comment

The good news is that an InvisionBoard convertor will be available with vB 3.0. We'll leave the lights on for ya!
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The good news is that an InvisionBoard convertor will be available with vB 3.0. We'll leave the lights on for ya!
                      Cool. Invision board is good for how much it costs, but its SUCH a pain to setup the templates and styles.

Comment

Cool. Invision board is good for how much it costs, but its SUCH a pain to setup the templates and styles.
                        I've used it. It is somewhat inflexible, and the naming conventions are a little strange, but other than that, HTML is HTML, CSS is CSS, so I don't get this whole "this board easy this board not" when dealing with templates. vBulletin didn't seem all that much easier (admin demo) not sure about 3 though.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmattyh
                          Don't let all these guys give you a hard time, rasta. I'm disappointed too, that it's taken so long to release vB3. Each major version before this took about 6 months to release, and now with vB3, it's been well over a year. I think a lot of us have gotten our hopes up and have been let down.
                          I'll second that. vb3 has nothing to offer my website. It looks like a bloated piece of MS software. The delay in releasing this version will have cost Jelsoft a lot of custom. I don't think Jelsoft can afford to employ fulltime programmers hence why it's taking so long.

Comment

Originally posted by bahbah
                            I'll second that. vb3 has nothing to offer my website. It looks like a bloated piece of MS software.
                            :uh:

It's not even released yet fool.

Originally posted by bahbah
                            I don't think Jelsoft can afford to employ fulltime programmers hence why it's taking so long.
                            When you only charge $160 for life on a product and give free upgrades, it's hard to employ a large team of developers making 50-100k/year.
                            Console Racing Review

Comment

How the product "looks" and how it operates are not always one-in-the-same. I've found VB highly flexible and fairly easy to work with. One can easily change how it looks, and add or take away functions. The pricing is quite reasonable too. Also consider the level of customer support Jelsoft gives with their product. Free upgrades, extremely helpfull and friendly support, and then the customer base that posts here helps when it can.

Not everyone has to love VB. Some people preffere Ikonboard, or invision, or webx... That a person finds better value in one product doesn't always mean others are bloated MS junkers.

Also consider that maybe VB3 is taking so long to come out because they're doing their best to release a product of free of bugs and such as possible.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X