Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IDN
    No, www.wwhois.com IS a whois service
    Oh, lol, thought you just misspelled whois.com, that's what I've used for years. <_<

Comment

Originally posted by Michael2
      I have a quick question, similar to this... Someone is starting up a competing board, basically reviving a community that got shut down, many of those members have since come to my site... The guy starting the new board signed up on my board but hasn't posted, I'm concerned he might start PM'ing people to come over to his board. I don't think he has yet. If I censor the url will that also work for PM's?
      I agree with IDN, take away his PM privs, and that will ensure he can't spam his board that way. Better than constantly worrying about it and possibly resorting to unethical behavior such as reading PM's

Comment

You're probably right. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt but if he hasn't even posted than he shouldn't be PM'ing people. I guess that's what I'll do then. Thanks.
        HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
        Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
        iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
        VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael2
          You're probably right. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt but if he hasn't even posted than he shouldn't be PM'ing people. I guess that's what I'll do then. Thanks.
          I would normally agree with that point of view, but if he's a known risk of direct competition, and he's not active on the board ... well, there's only one logical conclusion isn't there?

Best to protect the board first, and worry about hurting the individual's feelings later. Besides, it's nothing permanent... if he does become an active member, and shows that he's not there to make trouble for your board or steal your members, he can always have PM's reinstated

Comment

You can run a query on the database to check for all PMs sent by that userid.
            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by Liz
              We have an active vBulletin board on Harry Potter with over 2,000 members and one of our newer members decided to start her own Harry Potter message board and went to phpBB - the problem we have with this is that she has copied and pasted all of our forums, descriptions and ideas and is claiming them as her own. This phpBB board looks soooo much like vBulletin it is very frustrating! We have sent her a PM about being such a copycat but do you have any suggestions on how to handle this situation?

We have no idea on what to do about this person. They ripped off EVERYTHING. We have screen caps of her board before our mods started PMing them...so they started to change some things, but they didn't change them enough...and they are still taking things from our board. Even though we've asked them repeatedly not to.

Also.....Have you seen phpBB.com? Are they copycats of vBulletin?? Can they copy all of our features so freely??
              Simple, we ban the user for copyright violation, post a message in our own forums about the rip and then wait for the new site to fail. Usually doesn't take long for them to change their strategy and move on with life.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Let the forum fail, because that's what happens with copycat boards, they never work.

I'm sure you'd much rather see the forum fail and have the person banned on your forum, as that person has lost out completely.

Comment

How exactly do we take away their PM privs? What about the "Email this User" link in the profiles? Is there a way we can disable that for a certain member aswell?

We know such names like Diagon Alley are property of JK Rowling - what we don't like is that the copycat took our descriptions and titles verbatim. She's using the titles for the exact same things we're using them for. There are TONS and TONS of others that she could use. Without ripping us off. There are actual BOOKS on all the people, places and things in Harry Potter's world. That's how complex it is. I just don't understand why she's ripping off our forum ideas, names and descriptions when there are so many other things she could use instead of the things we have chosen for our own board. I guess she's just lazy or she's trying to get me back for not promoting her to moderator status. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz
                    How exactly do we take away their PM privs?
                    Create a new user group with 'Can modify profile' set to 'No'. Change the PM option in this user's profiel, then move them to this new group.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Create a new user group and remove Private Message Priveleges and "Can use email to friend" privileges.

Move the offending people into that group.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Liz

This has happened numerous times to me since I opened my board, and its been almost a year and these boards have either shut down due to bandwidth charges or get maybe 5 members a month and 10 threads per day. Esp if she is on a Phpbb and you are on VB. VB rocks compared to PhpBB, I think phpBB sucks (just my opinion though)

Try to look at it as "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" I know its hard to do, but just give it time You will have the last laugh

Comment

Liz,

I know how you feel I have had it happen that a few od my moderators without telling me start another forum and then trash mine on my board and other forums. This left me with being the Evil one even though every time I am accused of something they have no proof of it. They have even tried to contact my host, who is a long time friend and has admin on my board, to get him to close my account. They stated piracy issues and this turned out to be based on something like 3rd hand info.

Now I have gone to your forum and I must say that it is a really nice looking forum, more so than the "spin-off" forum that you ended up with. I do not think there is much you can really do about her forum other than to prevent links on yours to hers.

Comment

Yes this board is clear violation, however just for other members, I think 'copying' is something that can be harder to prove. For example, I. myself recently opened a Harry Potter Message Board, and was accused of 'ripping' off ideas from seperate HP Board. The funny thing was all our forum descs/graphics/schemes/ideas and even some hacks were original properties of the admins of this new board. So what I guess I am saying is that sometimes people over react, and think people are 'ripping them off' because they simply have a message board on the same subject.

So yea, I think that's pretty much all I had too say.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X