Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving a dDoS attack right now

Bwargh,

I am currently on my other internet line, which is at my parents place. Why? Because I am receiving a nice dDoS attack which lasts over 12 hours now. I am making traffic which my ISP does not like me to have and if I ask them to help me out, then their policy is to suspend my account for several weeks, and then I have to be lucky to get reconnected again.

I can't remember making someone mad or doing something wrong. I try to avoid people who think they are ' 1337' and when people complain during online gamings about my frag skills i just part the game because I do not want to get frustrated or the target of frustrated people. But obviously, someone is mad at me and now I enjoy mucho traffic which makes it impossible for me to trace down who it is and impossible to even internet. I pulled out the modem (cable) and when I plug it in again after hours it still has incomming, and much too. If I am lucky, I can download one e-mail or load the frontpage of my site, but then it is all closed again.

I hope it will stop today, but as it is impossible to block and impossible for the firewall to trace where it comes from (I don't even get an IP!) I think it is done by someone or a group of users who know how to set up a spoof or something.

The firewall did log an ip, but that was from some dailup polish internet, who did a port scan. Which isn't the one who is doing this I guess.

So .. sigh! No internet. Time to order adsl with a dynamic IP address and maybe just decide to stop playing games online. or chat and just visit forums. (there goes my life ! hehe).

For those who wonder why I type this. Well. I now have nothing else to do, and I am just waiting for my connection to come back. This machine doesn't have the development tools which I use to do my work with and e-mail isn't installed here yet. And for those who wonder what dDoS means: Distributed Denial of Service Attacks. (using one or more computers to make a big ass inbound stream to flood down toe connection so badly that outgoing traffic isn't possible. (or something close to that).

All I know is that is sucks, and should be (and maybe is) illegal and I wish I had their IP's and the user who did this so I could sue them for the overkill in traffic and loss in time
    Last edited by Floris; Fri 3 Jan '03, 12:44am.

You have to wonder what this sort of troll gets out of it. I've had similar experiences with people distrungtled with me for apparently no reason, but those have been limited to asking questions about my site on AIM so they can warn me at what not.

BTW, your signature would be generating parse errors .
    MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

Blame it on your ISP.
      If they won't do nothing about it, then the best thing to do would be jumping off the wagon.
      You're my Prince of Peace
      And I will live my life for You

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Cow
        You have to wonder what this sort of troll gets out of it. I've had similar experiences with people distrungtled with me for apparently no reason, but those have been limited to asking questions about my site on AIM so they can warn me at what not.

BTW, your signature would be generating parse errors .
        and

Originally posted by nuno
        Blame it on your ISP.
        If they won't do nothing about it, then the best thing to do would be jumping off the wagon.

I just tag these kind of lusers as 'script kiddies' or 'packet monkeys' - it is a shame that they have to do this, instead of confronting me in a discussion with some lethal arguments which gets the same results from me ; annoyance and frustration. If the setup costs for adsl weren't so high, I was already gone.

I know my sig would make it, its just - couldn't think of something else to put in.

Comment

floris, that is illegal, and if i were you i would contact the ISP and ask them to show the logfiles.

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
            floris, that is illegal, and if i were you i would contact the ISP and ask them to show the logfiles.
            I only have the polish host - and i issued an abuse report to it. I will also contact my isp, but I know how they work, it is a horrible isp. Controlled by UPC

Comment

Here's a nice link for you, i shouldn't be doing this, but what the heck! D
              http://neworder.box.sk/

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                So .. sigh! No internet. Time to order adsl with a dynamic IP address and maybe just decide to stop playing games online. or chat and just visit forums. (there goes my life ! hehe).
                I have ADSL with a dynamic IP (PPPoe) and NAT... I play games all day long. I can even host if I demilitarize my internal IP. A NAT network with a dynamic external IP is as safe as you can get, and it doesn't hinder your gaming at all.

Comment

If you don't run a NAT firewall or anything like that, and you are in Windows XP, finding out the IP is simple (same with win2k actually).

First, click Start, then Run, type CMD and in the new dialog type "netstat -n". This will list all hosts connected to your computer. Look for one that is repeated, or has been connected for a long time (12 hours, as you say). That is your target.

You can selectively filter out traffic for that IP. Granted, I completely forget how, but www.grc.net is an EXCELLENT resource for such things, as he has been DDoSed many, many times. Do a search on Google for windows IP filtering as well, you may get somewhere.

Also, are you POSITIVE it is DDoS? By the nature of the word, that means distributed denial of service, which can rarely be blocked, as it is a widespread attack usually involving many client computers. If its just one, its a plain old DoS attack and you shouldn't have much of a problem getting rid of it.

Good luck,
                  Chris

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X