No announcement yet.

Looking for a good CMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've checked out just about every possible CMS out there...

eZPublish: Very nice, but takes a LOT of template editing and PHP/MySQL know-how to get it working for you. Also requires that certian programs be installed and that your server be configured a certain way. Additionally, it's free until you need support...which can run you about $800. And, it doesn't integrate with vBulletin at all.

SiteWorksPro: It's a nice piece of software, good for an article/review site. But, if you're wanting to mix news in with that, it gets picky. Support is lackluster...I had emailed them several times, and never heard a word back. However, it does integrate with vBulletin somewhat.

NePHP: Very nice piece of software, easy to edit templates, very easy to insert the information you want where you want it, integrates a little bit with vBulletin. However, their support is slow, and it's a bit buggy. They add new features before they fix the bugs in the old ones.

Miraserver: I am currently evaluating this one. I have version 0.9, which seems to be a little buggy, and needs work. However, the programmer has informed me that version 1.0 will be out sometime in February, and will be much better than 0.9. It seems that vContent will be much like Miraserver and vise-versa.

I've also looked at MANY others, so if you dont see one listed here, PM me and I'll let you know about it...

Comment

Greymatter is powerful, easy-to-use, and free.

Comment

Originally posted by Aviation Forum
        Greymatter is powerful, easy-to-use, and free.
        Cool blogger, but not full-featured enough to be called a CMS.

I'm looking into it some more though. Looks neat, but I think for blogging Movable Type is better.

Comment

Been looking into this myself, though I can likely get by with something less than a full CMS.

Likely candidates include:

PHP-Nuke, Postnuke, MyPHPNuke, phpWebsite, etc. These seem fragmented, but the development community (esp for Postnuke) seems to be working at a maddening rate. Cool add-ons, but looks to be less secure and well-thought-out than other options out there.

Geeklog: much more secure. Looks well thought-out, and seems like an overall good option.

Slashcode. It works, I guess. Don't know much about it, other than it's yet another free system.

Scoop: kuro5 runs on this -- seems like yet another good option...

And on and on. can anyone offer some insights into the various competing GPL'd products out there? I settled on Postnuke for now, but am not sure that's what I'm going to stick with in the long run.
          The High Road

Comment

I've used PostNuke (http://www.postnuke.com) for a half dozen sites. While it is still in development I have found it to be fairly stable. Has most of what you need built-in or available as modules that just drop in.

It is php based and open source so there is no cost and you can modify the code if you wish.

Some of the sites include:

http://www.teamrcv.com
            http://www.rrg2.com
            http://www.marsracing.com

Other sites are used as company Internats so are not viewable (other then the front page) to non company personal. One test site that is like this is at http://www.hobbytalk.com/pmsecure/index.php

You can see the front page but until someone registers and then is given permissions, they can not see the contents of the site.

Comment

PHPPortal, PHPWebsite, Post-Nuke, PHPNuke, etc. are all portals and not truly CMS's...

Comment

I knew I was forgetting one...

Anyone have experience with www.drupal.org?
                The High Road

Comment

Originally posted by PBChannel
                  PHPPortal, PHPWebsite, Post-Nuke, PHPNuke, etc. are all portals and not truly CMS's...
                  From Dictionary.com
                  portal - por·tal - (pôrtl, pr-) n.
                  A website considered as an entry point to other websites, often by being or providing access to a search engine.

From Cambridge International
                  portal - noun [C] SPECIALIZED
                  a page on the Internet that people use to search the World Wide Web and enables you to access useful information such as news, weather and travel, or a company that provides these pages

PostNuke can be whatever you want it to be. None of my sites are used as a portal, they all contain content and all content is entered and formatted via the web site. Your may have a misconception of what a portal really is.

Comment

Originally posted by hankster
                    From Dictionary.com
                    portal - por·tal - (pôrtl, pr-) n.
                    A website considered as an entry point to other websites, often by being or providing access to a search engine.

From Cambridge International
                    portal - noun [C] SPECIALIZED
                    a page on the Internet that people use to search the World Wide Web and enables you to access useful information such as news, weather and travel, or a company that provides these pages

PostNuke can be whatever you want it to be. None of my sites are used as a portal, they all contain content and all content is entered and formatted via the web site. Your may have a misconception of what a portal really is.
                    That was exactly his point. A content management system manages content, it doesn't serve as a doorway to other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Codename49
                      That was exactly his point. A content management system manages content, it doesn't serve as a doorway to other sites.
                      And that is what PostNuke can do, manage content. Yes, it can be a Portal, it can also be a blog, a news site and even a forum. It can be whatever anyone wants it to be depending on the drop-in modules they decide to use.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X