if you think vb license is restrictive think again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you think vb license is restrictive think again

after reading a thread here a little while ago about review software that linked to incurso review system software, i thought it was a good product and went ahead and purchased it.

it wasn't until after much problems of trying to get it to work 100% main problem was with generating thumbnails on a plesk server account i have.

so anyhow i thought i would purchase another hosting account where i was sure it would work much better. except it needs the zen engine installed which my new account doesn't yet.

anyhow i wanted to use the review software on this new account with a different domain name. and was promtly told that it is against the license agreement.

which says:
    Due to the electronic distribution method we employ to deliver our software products, all sales are final! In addition, license keys are *not* transferrable from one domain to another.
    not even vb is this restrictive! i have never heard of such a restrictive license before. even though i will not be using it on my original domain i can never use it again anywhere else.

so be warned if anyone here is thinking of purchasing this software. link

happy new year to me for being naive and $149.00 out of pocket!

Originally posted by Razgo
    after reading a thread here a little while ago about review software that linked to incurso review system software, i thought it was a good product and went ahead and purchased it.

it wasn't until after much problems of trying to get it to work 100% main problem was with generating thumbnails on a plesk server account i have.

so anyhow i thought i would purchase another hosting account where i was sure it would work much better. except it needs the zen engine installed which my new account doesn't yet.

anyhow i wanted to use the review software on this new account with a different domain name. and was promtly told that it is against the license agreement.

which says:

not even vb is this restrictive! i have never heard of such a restrictive license before. even though i will not be using it on my original domain i can never use it again anywhere else.

so be warned if anyone here is thinking of purchasing this software. link

happy new year to me for being naive and $149.00 out of pocket!
    Ouch, that is a little bit on the harsh side, Surely it's not that hard to permit a domain switch...don't think I'll bother looking into them then:\ For $149 I'd have made sure to ask all questions regarding set-up prior to purchasing the license for it.

Comment

Where's the link to their license agreement?

Comment

On the order page, http://www.incursio.com/cart/
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Personally I have never found vB,s licensing to be at all restrictive.
          If you have trouble with only being able to run one copy per license or in having to pay for something then you are either a pirate or very naive.

As for incursio, well that just stinks.
          Last edited by vBR; Wed 1 Jan '03, 4:17pm.

Comment

Thanks CeleronXT!

Razgo, send me an email... If you want I'll try to get you permission to use it on another domain.

Comment

i am currently waiting for more of a response from the developer, which it doesn't look like he is budging from this stance at present time. but yes the license needs to be made more clearer on what this means. i don't think it is explained enough and i am sure current users will be shocked to know this as well.

at least vb bend over backwards to explain all aspects of it's licensing agreement. and at least with vb i can move it to any domain i like as long as i am only running one instance per license. although my current vb forum is in limbo and does't exist anywhere, but i don't expect vb to hunt me down with a big stick because of that.

Comment

thanks Cary, i will do that a bit later. thanks for any help.

Personally I have never found vB,s licensing to be at all restrictive.
                If you have trouble with only being able to run one copy per license or in having to pay for something then you are either a pirate or very naive.
                no i'm not a pirate, but thanks for the kind thought. and my thread title may have been a knee jerk reaction, not meaning to say i don't like vb license but to say vb is not restrictive at all compared to incurso license.

Comment

Originally posted by Razgo
                  thanks Cary, i will do that a bit later. thanks for any help.

no i'm not a pirate, but thanks for the kind thought. and my thread title may have been a knee jerk reaction, not meaning to say i don't like vb license but to say vb is not restrictive at all compared to incurso license.
                  You get no argument there.

Comment

vB licensing is good. I was recently bit by a licensing agreement of SubscribeMe Pro (mailing list software). It turns out that they don't allow ANY code modifications. I wasn't aware of that (apparently skimmed the user agreement when purchasing), and they recently obfuscated the code!!! Now the program has become impossible to customize (and actually legally was the same way). I find that completely stupid. Now, we all know about modifications, Jelsoft permits us to make
                    HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X