Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the problem be that I was using an external hard drive with USB 1.1 connectors (USB 2.0 card commin in mail)?
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
      Could the problem be that I was using an external hard drive with USB 1.1 connectors (USB 2.0 card commin in mail)?
      Maybe the connection was lost and PM couldnt finish it?

I've generally had good luck with PM7 and 8. But I rarely resize anyway.

As for large drives, you can span images btw. I just burn backups on CD to have a hardcopy, specifically mp3s. If I lose programs, it sucks but I can always throw XP back on via an image in 5 minutes and reinstall my apps/games which takes an hour or so.
      forums: pcfx.cc
      gallery: here

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X
        Maybe the connection was lost and PM couldnt finish it?

I've generally had good luck with PM7 and 8. But I rarely resize anyway.

As for large drives, you can span images btw. I just burn backups on CD to have a hardcopy, specifically mp3s. If I lose programs, it sucks but I can always throw XP back on via an image in 5 minutes and reinstall my apps/games which takes an hour or so.
        Could be.... The activity light on the drive was solid, but there were no disk writing/altering sounds at all like normally. I didn't have to resize this partition at all, I really just should not have take the chance. -__-"
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
          This box has 200gb - doubt ghost is any use to that
          I just from time to time backup over network to my other drive who has 3x80gb in it
          why not 200GB Western Digital 2000JB 8mb cache drives

Ghost Guide is my lifesaver = http://ghost.radified.com
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X
            Yes. Ghost has 3 compression methods, the highest will take longer to image/reimage, but it can save space. Compressed files like mp3s etc wouldnt really help, being as they cant be compressed any more, so if anything you'd just waste space and the imaging would take longer. It would inflate the image size, so if you've got 5gb of mp3, the ghost image would pretty much have 5gb tacked on.

Also you should really delete the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys, as they are totally unneeded in the ghost image, and will be regenerated upon boot up. You'll have to delete the pagefile.sys via Recovery Console if you've got NTFS setup.

I've got several ghost images on CD. One image was done after doing an install of W2K, SP2, all my little apps (winzip, winamp, cuteftp, ICQ etc) as well as all my settings (bookmarks, color scheme etc). It was about 2.5-3gb, but using hi compression I could easily fit it on a CD, about 600mb total. Takes about 15 minutes to reimage back on the drive.
            yup

Calculate the size of the image by estimating ~60% (using High compression setting) to 70% (using Fast compression setting) of the amount of data contained on the partition (not the size of the partition itself).
            Last edited by George L; Sat 21 Dec '02, 8:21pm.
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I was converting a NTFS partition to FAT32 (long story) but yeah, anyway, same thing happened with pm8, it froze and I lost everything (20gb partition )

Lucky there wasn't anything too important on it, I got by, but it was annoying to say the least.

On the other hand, I have used pm7 and 8 many times without fail, I guess it was just bad luck... It does warn you that you should backup all your data though...

Comment

Using compression, Ghost can fit 1.2gb onto a 80min CD. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                  Does that shiznit really work? And does it work after you've already reformatted a drive? ^_~
                  Well I was an idiot and deleted the wrong partition on my drive and I think I partialy formated it and I got back all my data, plus a ton of old deleted crap too
                  vBulletin.org Moderator
                  The Sisters Three Charmed Discussion Forums

Comment

havent used partition magic in many years now, really no need to, was a great product when i used it
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

ANyone know where I cna get a demo if NortonGhost?

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
                        ANyone know where I cna get a demo if NortonGhost?
                        try this link for Ghost 2003 http://www.softwaresavingsplus.com/n...code=1C793A31&

got spammed in my email but i can't buy because it's only for US residents

Comment

Norton was offering NortonWorks Pro for free a few months ago, that had Ghost 2003 on it, I even got a confirm email, but I (and so far the ppl I know who signed up) havent gotten anything beyond that.

There are other Imaging programs like PowerQuest's DriveImage, but I've never used it, as Ghost has always been great for me.

Comment

Basically, what I'm wondering is: is it worth the 70 bucks and the try? I have extremely valuable data on here that I can't go a day without, and if I lose it I'm screwed. Should I chance it, or just buy a new hard drive?

Comment

Yes, its worth every penny.

Comment

backup your data first on to cd-r and you will have no problems

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X