This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition Magic 8.0....

Well, I was trying to resize a partition on my hard drive and then I was going to divide the drive into two. Well, the damn thing froze at 22% of the resizing! I lost everything on the hard drive (98% of all my downloads). This isn't such a terrible thing, the worst thing IMO is losing my KaZaA downloads, which was nearly 1,000 songs. -__-" I'm back at around 150 and still redownloading them. After having this problem, I was reading through my PC World magazine and found an article from someone else who had their hard drive wiped too with 8.0. Meh....
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

same thing happened to me with PM7 except i totally lost that drive now waste of 40 gigs :/
    www.xixora.com
    Goldrush : A Soldier of Fortune Modification going for the GOLD!

Comment

This is the exact reason I don't partition my HDD any more. Last week I was stuck with Win95 on a 1.1ghz PC for a week while i sorted out the HDD

Comment

Ever heard of data recovery software?
        vBulletin.org Moderator
        The Sisters Three Charmed Discussion Forums

Comment

Same thing happend to me, froze, and Windows wouldn't start gave me a NTLDR error

Comment

LOL @ NTLDR above my post above this post

Comment

Originally posted by NTLDR
              Ever heard of data recovery software?
              Does that shiznit really work? And does it work after you've already reformatted a drive? ^_~
              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                Does that shiznit really work? And does it work after you've already reformatted a drive? ^_~
                It does work (for 400 $&%*&$*%*$*# dollars it better *$&*$#&* work) but you will not get very good results, if any, if you've reformatted the drive.

Comment

Well, I was trying to resize a partition on my hard drive and then I was going to divide the drive into two. Well, the damn thing froze at 22% of the resizing! I lost everything on the hard drive (98% of all my downloads). This isn't such a terrible thing, the worst thing IMO is losing my KaZaA downloads, which was nearly 1,000 songs. -__-" I'm back at around 150 and still redownloading them. After having this problem, I was reading through my PC World magazine and found an article from someone else who had their hard drive wiped too with 8.0. Meh....
                  All your downloads? "I read that as 'All your warez?'" Then it really isn't such a big deal. It is not like it ever cost you anything.

I got me P8 and I have no problems with it whatsoever. And hope I never do!

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                    All your downloads? "I read that as 'All your warez?'" Then it really isn't such a big deal. It is not like it ever cost you anything.

I got me P8 and I have no problems with it whatsoever. And hope I never do!
                    No, like all my downloads. I had back versions of vB back to 2.2.1 (not really important of course), all the vB hacks (so I lose all documentation of everything...), all my sites files (easy redownload), and my entire playlist (I can only remember 236 songs off of it and there's about 500 in songs. I can only remember 23 of my music videos out of over 100. I was able to get some help by looking at my Winamp playlist [now just a bunch of broken songs], but not much).

Edit: Oh yeah, also all my icon files, so I had to go back in E-Icons and reset every single icon path. Oh, and also all my saved web pages to the hard drive that I may have saved for various reasons (meaning I lost all of the saved pages I had of one of my favorite forums -__-").

Comment

i just use Norton Ghost2002 to make a clone or image of my drive for backup in case i loose data...

you can then just restore an image
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                        i just use Norton Ghost2002 to make a clone or image of my drive for backup in case i loose data...

Is an image compressed or is it the same size as the drive basically? The problem for me was that I had 20 GB of stuff on this drive, and less than 20 on my alternate hard drive, so I couldn't really keep a backup of everything.

Comment

Yes. Ghost has 3 compression methods, the highest will take longer to image/reimage, but it can save space. Compressed files like mp3s etc wouldnt really help, being as they cant be compressed any more, so if anything you'd just waste space and the imaging would take longer. It would inflate the image size, so if you've got 5gb of mp3, the ghost image would pretty much have 5gb tacked on.

Also you should really delete the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys, as they are totally unneeded in the ghost image, and will be regenerated upon boot up. You'll have to delete the pagefile.sys via Recovery Console if you've got NTFS setup.

I've got several ghost images on CD. One image was done after doing an install of W2K, SP2, all my little apps (winzip, winamp, cuteftp, ICQ etc) as well as all my settings (bookmarks, color scheme etc). It was about 2.5-3gb, but using hi compression I could easily fit it on a CD, about 600mb total. Takes about 15 minutes to reimage back on the drive.
                          Last edited by Mr. X; Sat 21 Dec '02, 5:23pm.
                          forums: pcfx.cc
                          gallery: here

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000

This box has 200gb - doubt ghost is any use to that
                            I just from time to time backup over network to my other drive who has 3x80gb in it

Comment

I've had nothing but good times with PMagic. Granted at one point when I upgraded to XP I had to upgrade PMagic too but I've never lost data.
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X