Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

December 18th Marks the Death of SD!SYM...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 18th Marks the Death of SD!SYM...

www.sdsym.com
    www.sdsym.net

It's been great, since June 9th when I installed the vB on sdsym.com/forum...I hacked it, and since then I learnt so much about vB...

As time moves on, we grew more and more popular and active, hitting 125000 posts and high numbers of people online...

Just today, out of pure luck, I happen to be going on holiday (leaving in a few hours), and luckily, instead of going to school (as I'm going on holiday), I stayed on the net til very late (now 4am), and I was contacted by my host telling me my site must go, using too many resources.

I was on the highest package available on the host, with 70GB bandwidth and 3GB space. I was told I need to move onto a dedicated server now.

I would've found a new host and signed up with them tomorrow if it wasn't for me leaving the country today, that's fate I guess...

Been quite the unlucky day for me, and well, i'm just depressed that all of a sudden, my sites have come to a halt.

I had plans for a new site to be launched in February/March, but I wanted my current ones to stay alive until then...

I guess things like this just happen, but there it is, at the most unconvenient time. I just got back from downloading 400MB of data in all forms.

I suppose this is just a sort of announcement, I just need to let it out...

RIP SD!SYM.com/.net

PS. Can I leave a blank field in the url to forum in member area?

Also, I will go on holiday in a few hours and I'll be back on Jan 2nd 2003. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone here at vb.com

Don't delete the site!!!!!! that took alot of work.

reduce the amount of feature in vb that are on, (Calaender, PM, no new signups etc). talk with the host and say you are taking these steps to reduce resources, it might make it so you can stay on-line longer

how much you paying for your package? for $99/month you can get 500GB bandwitdh and a dedicated server from www.4webspace.com great service (I am with tera-byte which is the same company).

You may loose your users for ever if you delete the site...

Comment

You really need to set up a temporary message board somewhere else, to allow your members to connect with each other until your new site comes back online. You might not feel like it at the moment, but trust me - when your mood changes you will wish you hadn't destroyed your community. I would recommend creating a website on MSN Groups, where you can direct visitors to a nice message board and chat room for free until you get things back in order again. Regardless of what you think about MSN or Microsoft, I actually started my community there, and I think they run an excellent service for the best possible price. Please, for the sake of your community, look into it.

Comment

n9ne, being your friend, I am sure me and many at vB.org and here can help you reduce the way your site functions at the ame time advise you, you had a very great site. Talk to you when you get back!

Comment

I will pay for your dedicated server with 4webspace/RackShack/DV2, contact me if you are interested
          Last edited by iFly; Tue 17 Dec '02, 7:48pm.

Comment

Now there is a dedicated man that no one can turn down Glad you can help_

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
              www.sdsym.com
              www.sdsym.net

It's been great, since June 9th when I installed the vB on sdsym.com/forum...I hacked it, and since then I learnt so much about vB...

As time moves on, we grew more and more popular and active, hitting 125000 posts and high numbers of people online...

Just today, out of pure luck, I happen to be going on holiday (leaving in a few hours), and luckily, instead of going to school (as I'm going on holiday), I stayed on the net til very late (now 4am), and I was contacted by my host telling me my site must go, using too many resources.

I was on the highest package available on the host, with 70GB bandwidth and 3GB space. I was told I need to move onto a dedicated server now.

I would've found a new host and signed up with them tomorrow if it wasn't for me leaving the country today, that's fate I guess...

Been quite the unlucky day for me, and well, i'm just depressed that all of a sudden, my sites have come to a halt.

I had plans for a new site to be launched in February/March, but I wanted my current ones to stay alive until then...

I guess things like this just happen, but there it is, at the most unconvenient time. I just got back from downloading 400MB of data in all forms.

I suppose this is just a sort of announcement, I just need to let it out...

RIP SD!SYM.com/.net

PS. Can I leave a blank field in the url to forum in member area?

Also, I will go on holiday in a few hours and I'll be back on Jan 2nd 2003. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone here at vb.com
              Sorry to hear that. I know it probably won't mean much coming from someone you don't know, but you're free to redirect all traffic to Off Topic Central.

OK, that was a little shameless, but hey, I'm in a holiday mood.

Comment

Well I'm back from my holiday and I can afford a dedicated server thanks to my dad. I'll be getting the best server from nocster, the Athlon MP Dual Processor one with IDE HDD . (Rather than getting only 36GB with SCSI, I'll go with 80GB).

I wouldn't have been able to get anything up for my members to interact on temporarily though, because I left for my holiday 6 hours after the saga.

There was no one for me to contact, all admins were offline, and many of my admins/members are from UK, and it was 4am...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X