Upgrading Computer....Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Computer....Thoughts?

Ok well I am finally upgrading my computer this week, probably tomorrow.

I've been doing a lot of research about different mother boards, and RAM and such. Here's what I'm going to be getting:

Intel 2.53GHz 533MHz FSB
    Motherboard (Still deciding which one)
    Probably 512MB pc1066 RDRAM

I already have a sound card (Audigy Gamer) and a video card (Radeon 8500). I used to go only with AMD, but seeing as how they can't come out with new processors lately and the 2.53GHz chip is a good price, I'm going with Intel.

Now, I'm not sure what motherboard I want, which is why I'm posting here, hoping some of you can give me some insight. I've posted a few times talking with Jakeman about his Asus motherboard, the P4T-533-C board, but I talked to a lady at the store I'm buying the parts from and she said that this motherboard has issues with the Radeon video cards. Any truth to this? Does anybody else have this motherboard, and if so, do they like it? What other motherboard would you recommend?

Now onto the RAM issue. Again, I learned a lot from Jakeman regarding the RDRAM, and, from what I've read elsewhere, it seems to be top-notch. I've never used RDRAM, however, and would like some re-assurance that when I buy it, it'll be worth it. I remember Jakeman's figures that he posted about the RDRAM vs. DDR RAM speeds and they seem quite impressive. Right now I'm using 512MB pc2100 DDR RAM and I like it, but is the RDRAM worth it?

Thanks for reading this and any feedback you can provide. I've been doing a lot of reading and research on all of this and I've pretty much decided to go with the RDRAM unless someone can provide me with a very good reason as to why I shouldn't.

Anybody?

Comment

new asus P4 (i forget the model cant get there as they have just been hacked yet again) with HT support for future upgrades

{edit}
      --P4-PE or P4-GE
      Joe Gronlund
      Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Mon 9 Dec '02, 6:07pm.
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

What about the P4G8X should I go with DDR?

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k
          What about the P4G8X should I go with DDR?
          sure, definately DDR
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

on second look, i think i will be getting that board myself after christmas.

i was gonna get the P4-GE
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I'm holding off my upgrade for the Hammer !!!

-JRW
              LostDiscussion.com - Fan base community for ABC's Lost | Club-tC.com - Scion tC Enthusiast Site | PcTechTalk.com - What's your issue? | eInvesting.com - Play the Market, Learn Investing, WIN!

Comment

Well does anybody have any thoughts as to whether I should go DDR or RDRAM?

I heard there is a new DDR, that's somewhere in the 5GBps range. Anybody know anything about this?

Comment

I heard there is a new DDR, that's somewhere in the 5GBps range. Anybody know anything about this?
                  Cost: DDR
                  Preformance: RDRAM

Although most motherboards aimed for casual users will come with DDR. I've really only seen the Xeon's with RDRAM

Comment

--> DDR2 ..... will be released in early Feb, but don't expect officially supported chipsets for another month or two after that

-JRW
                    LostDiscussion.com - Fan base community for ABC's Lost | Club-tC.com - Scion tC Enthusiast Site | PcTechTalk.com - What's your issue? | eInvesting.com - Play the Market, Learn Investing, WIN!

Comment

If you don't mind spending the money, definitely get RDRAM, it's much better.
                      Webmaster / Administrator
                      www.MegaGames.com
                      www.MGForums.com

Comment

I just built myself a new system. Not cutting edge by any means, but I'm extremely happy with it.

ECS K7S5A Mobo w/ OnBoard Sound & LAN
                        Athlon XP 2000+
                        512MB PC133 (Couldn't justify the price of DDR)
                        8x Samsung DVD-ROM
                        48x12x28 LiteOn CD-RW Drive
                        40GB Western Dig HD
                        GeForce3 Ti200 64MB
                        Windows XPoo

All in all, rock solid, after this last reformat. I had to redo it due to random and constant blue screens. So far, all is well *crosses fingers*
                        Matthew Yette
                        [email protected]
                        antsmarching.org - People in every direction

Comment

DDR RAM is the way to go. RDRAM's price is too high and speed is too low.

DDR266 has finally exceeded the PC1066RDRAM's numbers with the new Dual Channel DDR support in Asus' new board, the P4G8X featuring the new Intel Granite Bay chipset.

Let me rephrase. Intel has officially
                          DROPPED
                          RDRAM in their boards for the time being. Their stance on the matter? We use DDR from now on in our high end boards.

Comment

dont know about the prices in the US, but here in canada RDRAM is about $100 for 256MB they are trying to get rid of the stuff and make way for more DDR and DDR2
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
                              dont know about the prices in the US, but here in canada RDRAM is about $100 for 256MB they are trying to get rid of the stuff and make way for more DDR and DDR2
                              Lowest price I can find here in the 'States is $99USD for a 1066RIMM 256MB, but for ten dollars less you can get a stick of Corsair XMS3200C2Platinum ram, which overclocks like a beast and is the best ram money can buy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X