X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive dies

my first ever hard drive failure in 7 yrs of pc use

80GB WD 800JB 8mb cache drive goes to hard drive heaven
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Originally posted by eva2000
    my first ever hard drive failure in 7 yrs of pc use

80GB WD 800JB 8mb cache drive goes to hard drive heaven
    how long have you had it? i was thinking about getting the same model

Comment

Originally posted by Who?
      how long have you had it? i was thinking about getting the same model
      bought it 2nd hand around 1-2 months ago

they are great drives though and fast!

i have 3 x 80GB WD 800JB 8MB - the other 2 are running fine though - plus they're the only drives which retain 3 yr warranties while others have dropped to 1 yr warranties
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Lucky you...my last one (WD 20 GB 7200) died a few months ago but Dell replaced it for free as my system's warantee says they should.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

i have 3 x 80GB WD 800JB 8MB - the other 2 are running fine though - plus they're the only drives which retain 3 yr warranties while others have dropped to 1 yr warranties
          Contact Western Digital Eva and get an RMA
          Had two 10.0 GB hard disks die out on me and got em replaced with no problems

(only charged me for shipping the product back to them)
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

If they are good and they die, why should i get one?
            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

WD hard drives are very good, i've used Maxtor and Samsung hard drives and they would die after a year, but i have never had a WD hard drive die on me i have a WD 5GB hard drive that i've had for 5 + years and i've had no problems

Comment

I've never had a hard drive day, it's my biggest fear though.

I've heard that Western Digital are among the worst quality drives (along with Maxtor) and Seagate is among the best (in terms of lifespan).

I have no real experience with those claims though

Comment

Originally posted by baragon0
                  I've never had a hard drive day, it's my biggest fear though.

I've heard that Western Digital are among the worst quality drives (along with Maxtor) and Seagate is among the best (in terms of lifespan).

I have no real experience with those claims though
                  Hmmm.. I have some old Western Digital and Maxtor drives that are 5 years old and still work fine. I use them on occasion when I need something for a quick backup and a CD-RW isn't big enough.

I have a Seagate drive as well but use it as a paperweight because it crashed hard the day after its warranty wore out. You can put it up and shake it and it is like a rattle with all the shattered pieces of the platters inside. Will never buy a Seagate drive again.

I also know someone who bought a couple 10,000 RPM drives from Seagate two years ago. He spent over $400 apiece for them. They didn't last a month before the platters spun out of control and shattered. He uses IBM drives now.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
                    If they are good and they die, why should i get one?
                    all hard drives are guaranteed to fail

Comment

Stuff I would like to depend on.. like hd's,... I never buy secondhand.

I hope you can return it to WD, and hopefully they see its their manuf. error and replace it for you.

I always used Maxtor's and so far, none of them have ever crashed on me (wee) I now have my internet box for irc/email/surf filled with 1x 20gb for the os (since i like to re-install it from time to time) and 2x 80gb for my data/media/personal files. The 80gb's are on ata133 with liquid bearing (w00t)

My brother in law had a HD failure like yours and we were able to attach it on a I/O pci card and read it out anyway and we could backup like 75% of the drive before it started to make sounds like it had diarea

Comment

I heard, from the same source, that IBM's where also a good buy.

Each to his own. I personally like the idea of an 8MB cache on an IDE drive.

Comment

I have had a maxtor HDD for at least 3 months and it's beatiful. So quiet as well!

Comment

Originally posted by baragon0
                            I heard, from the same source, that IBM's where also a good buy.

Each to his own. I personally like the idea of an 8MB cache on an IDE drive.
                            nothing wrong with WD, .. 8mb is l33t hehe.
                            I just have GOOD experience with Maxtor, why change when you are winning :P

IBM ! OH MAH GAWD -- if you want a HD that will die within a month to a year, get ibm.. All my friends laugh at me for buying maxtor, but those are the ones with ibm that come to me with complaints and dead hd's etc. Rofl. I seriously never heard any good stories about ibm.

Comment

yeah RMA is no prob... today (same day as it died) my pc retailer i got it from sent someone to pick up the faulty drive... they'll send it back on Monday and then just need to wait for replacement

now i have to reinstall everything on my backup drive 80GB Seagate Barracuda IV

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X