Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it adviseable to have very large threads on your forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it adviseable to have very large threads on your forum?

I have one thread on my forum which has 12100 replies but grows rapidly, and will probably be at 15000 in a few weeks, now is it advisable to keep this thread? My bandwidth usage is doing fine, but does it affect load or anything?

Originally posted by N9ne
    I have one thread on my forum which has 12100 replies but grows rapidly, and will probably be at 15000 in a few weeks, now is it advisable to keep this thread? My bandwidth usage is doing fine, but does it affect load or anything?
    Why not

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
      Only X posts are loaded at the same time (X being the number of posts you view per page)...all of the posts in a thread will never be loaded at the same time. There are no load issues associated with it. You can have 15,000 1 post threads or 1 15,000 posts thread, no difference.
      Last edited by tubedogg; Sun 24 Nov '02, 10:02am.

Comment

Unless of course someone pulls one of these on you: http://www.sdsym.net/forum/showthrea...p;pagenumber=1 (perpage var set to 20000) and tries to load 20,000 posts per page.
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
          Unless of course someone pulls one of these on you: http://www.sdsym.net/forum/showthrea...p;pagenumber=1 (perpage var set to 20000) and tries to load 20,000 posts per page.
          Pretty sure there's a hardcoded limit if it's over X posts...can't remember what X is though.

Comment

latest 2.2.x has that fixed so you can't do that.. i use to do that on some vBs i'm a member at because they have limited 10 - 30 posts/page options... i tend to like 40 - 60 posts/page for my viewing
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
              You can have 15,000 1 post threads or 1 15,000 posts thread, no difference.
              Want to take a bet?
              Let's see (note, this applies to vb2, no idea on the vb3 approach).

One thread, 15000 replies.
              Let's assume we have 5000 unique users posting in this thread.

Let's assume 2500 of them have notify-on-reply set to auto in their profile.

Someone posts a reply, and BOOM!
              Launching 2500 sendmail processes = *UGH*

Obviously, this does depend on a few things, but saying that large threads don't make a difference when it comes to system load isn't quite true.

Yes, there'll probably be a much lower number of users who have email notification on, but i'm just pointing it out
              My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
              That forum

Comment

Well, you can still pull something like this to list 10,000 members on a forum.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/membe...p;pagenumber=3

That has to be one hefty query.
                "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Not to mention hell on the browser! I think print thread 'breaks' on large threads for the same reason.
                  Matt
                  Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                  Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

Originally posted by MattR
                    Not to mention hell on the browser! I think print thread 'breaks' on large threads for the same reason.
                    printthread was changed several versions back to not allow viewing over X posts at once no matter what the perpage var is (can't remember what X is offhand).

Comment

Ouch, get ~100 people to load that page at once. Bubye vB server.
                      Console Racing Review

Comment

I don't know... The entire page loaded in about 10 seconds for me under DSL with Windows XP and IE 6.0. Didn't really seem to phase anything.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          I don't know... The entire page loaded in about 10 seconds for me under DSL with Windows XP and IE 6.0. Didn't really seem to phase anything.
                          It loaded in about 5 seconds for me, and I know why. That's page 3 (and with 10k posts per page, 3 is the last page), meaning that there wasn't the full 10k on the page. Set the pagenumber= to 1 and try it. I did, and it froze my browser.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X