Clear All

Originally posted by Brad.loo
    ezboard?..
    Just reading that brings shivers down my spine
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

RAID 5 is great for mostly read-only set-ups. I suppose vB is read-only 'enough' to avoid the high write penalty that RAID 5 imposes. Generally on most large OLTP DBMS setups the RAID is either 1 or 10.

Yes, I have been meaning to remove the link.

h8in on eZb.
      Matt
      Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
      Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

Congrats on the server change. I noticed it happening the other day, www.vbulletin.com was down for about 20-30 minutes and the forums were running on an IP address. Was a very nice transfer. I recentely moved servers on my site (on Nov 1st) and had no downtime at all, thanks to the experienced server admin of my new host, which also has fast servers and no downtime... but they are rather expensive. ( they are www.FluidHosting.com btw ). Get what you pay for though, right
        -
        Visit the Web Scripts Directory @ http://www.scriptz.com
        -
        PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP, JavaScript, CFML, Python and more!

-

Comment

I agree, RAID-5 can have a high write penalty for database applications, especially an OLTP system writing alot of information to the database. However, in our case there is very little performance penalty involved, and it does give us the added protection of being able to have a drive fail, be able to hot-swap in a replacement, while the server can stay up and running.

Comment

Re: Re: Fastest server switch ever!

Originally posted by Jakeman
            chris has skills, but i don't think he can make name server changes propogate any faster.
            Actually, he can with the REFRESH value in the DNS zone files. I think the default is usually at eight hours.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Fastest server switch ever!

Originally posted by baragon0
              Actually, he can with the REFRESH value in the DNS zone files. I think the default is usually at eight hours.
              i didn't know that, but i was talking about propogation to the various name servers accross the internet.

Comment

Well, I dont' know how Chris did it...but it was remarkable.

I visited vbulletin yesterday and was there to see the IP numbers in the threads. This morning I get up and visit...expecting more IP numbers or a quirky DNS propagation...and it was vbulletin.com at your service!

Awesome work guys! Applause applause!
                Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fastest server switch ever!

Originally posted by Jakeman
                  i didn't know that, but i was talking about propogation to the various name servers accross the internet.
                  Exactly. DNS servers cache your zone file and every zone file has a refresh rate that tells them how often to re-cache your DNS zone file.

Comment

if chris sets the refresh value in the zone file then it affects how often every dns server on the internet updates their entries for vbulletin.com?

i'll take your word for it since i don't know any better.

Comment

We could have asked verio to shorten our TTL's but in the end it was just too much hassle, and I don't know if they would have wanted to anyway. The update should have gone through by the end of the week anyway.
                      John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X