Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vbulletin or phpbb?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I say go for vBulletin.

    Geez, I bet one one saw that one coming...
    Seriously though... I've used them both and vBulletin is SO much easier to administrate and maintain. Only, you don't realize that until you have to use phpBB for a while... you'll go looking around the phpBB admin panel, "Hey, where is that and that feature? And how the hell do I do this??" until you find out that the features you need aren't in there...

    That's not saying it lacks features, not at all... however it simply isn't up to par with vBulletin as far as I'm concerned. Plus the quote from Kier above is definitely true... when I used it, I ended up making new templates from scratch. Go figure...

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: vbulletin or phpbb?

      Originally posted by Pk
      Anyway, i had vbulletin a year ago but a lot has happend since then.

      phpBB is indeed better looking then vbulletin.

      Well, is it worth buying vbulletin? If so why?!!?!
      if you had vB a year ago, why do you need to buy it again?

      phpbb is not better looking, however I do like the skins that it offers.

      I have set-up a phpbb forum and there is no comparison, especially in the admin cp.

      is it worth it? that is a personal decision and it will vary from individual to individual. if your website is "professional" and the board will be used heavily, than you should go with vB.
      http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
      http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
      http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Re: vbulletin or phpbb?

        Originally posted by Prince
        if you had vB a year ago, why do you need to buy it again?

        phpbb is not better looking, however I do like the skins that it offers.

        I have set-up a phpbb forum and there is no comparison, especially in the admin cp.

        is it worth it? that is a personal decision and it will vary from individual to individual. if your website is "professional" and the board will be used heavily, than you should go with vB.

        Leased it

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by IDN
          if you want to look at the design, go to the beta of vb3


          also, you can edit it to WHATEVER you like


          also, if you dont want vb and want quality features like it and support get wbb2 my friend uses it and it looks just like vb2 if you want the look and has just as good of features

          www.techdot.com/forums (his forum)

          www.woltlab.de - WAY cheaper, dunno bout their support team - starts at 25$

          Thanks, thoose are nice forums :-)

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Re: Re: vbulletin or phpbb?

            Originally posted by Pk
            Leased it
            oh, I never understood the point of leasing it.
            http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
            http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
            http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

            Comment


            • #21
              Yes, phpBB has a very nice style, but HORRIBLE skinning system... You'll suffer like hell customizing try it you'll see. I've used phpBB I was there in the days of the first betas... If you really want a fully featured and customizable board use this not phpBB it's nice and all but it's nothing likely.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by iFly
                ah, you will only get people telling good about vBulletin in their own forums .

                I would suggest checking 3rd party websites like http://www.chooseyourforum.com/comparisons/ to decide which forum is best for your website .
                Nice start to a website, but you're quick to recommend vB when your data is incomplete. It is better to discuss the merits of each forum at one of unbiased sites. You're always welcome to see what I have to offer.
                FASHIONification is all about fashion, beauty, style, love, and life.

                Comment


                • #23
                  This is really the wrong place to ask - inevitably many of the answers you get here will be biased. You need to ask at somewhere like http://www.sitepointforums.com which is a general webmaster community.

                  Having said that, I would of course recommend vBulletin completely to you. With a commercial solution like this you just can't go wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I never really understood the logic of asking which forum script is better in a forum that is run by either of the competition ...

                    It's like going to a Coca Cola plant and asking "which is better, Coke or Pepsi?"
                    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                    "Tech is our middle name!"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JamesUS
                      This is really the wrong place to ask - inevitably many of the answers you get here will be biased. You need to ask at somewhere like http://www.sitepointforums.com which is a general webmaster community.

                      Having said that, I would of course recommend vBulletin completely to you. With a commercial solution like this you just can't go wrong.
                      Yeah there are several good discussion but always, always locked after few pages... It ll be nice if admin/mod leave these threads alone.

                      Oh well..

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Tolitz
                        It's like going to a Coca Cola plant and asking "which is better, Coke or Pepsi?"
                        LMAO

                        yup!
                        http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                        http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                        http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by DestyNova
                          Yeah there are several good discussion but always, always locked after few pages... It ll be nice if admin/mod leave these threads alone.

                          Oh well..
                          It would be nice if people could discuss different forum technologies in those threads without resulting to mudslinging, promoting the forum software they create, or running to the developers to get them to post in them for support.
                          Translations provided by Google.

                          Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            If a mature discussion is going on we won't lock the thread. We only close it when things are getting out of hand in one way or another, which does tend to happen rather a lot with threads of this type, when strong supporters of two different programs clash in some way.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Jame and Wayne, you re right. But there is nearly impossible to have mature discussion about "which better board" more than 3 pages at anywhere anyway. So I guess I took my words back by then.

                              Sorry
                              Last edited by DestyNova; Fri 15 Nov '02, 12:40am.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                It's a real shame, because lots of people would love to have a comprehensive and objective side-by-side comparison of the various BBS boards out there. Without it all people end up doing is mudslinging and judging a forum based on heresay and outter appearances only.
                                Well, there it is.
                                - Keeper of the Grove

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X