Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vbulletin or phpbb?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vbulletin or phpbb?

    Well.
    It all goes down like this.

    Im starting a travel agency right now, online here in Sweden.
    To get cheap marketing over the internet im opening a few of my domains, i have some good ones cause i was fast getting them in Sweden.

    So, im going to share the same forum for all websites.

    Im going to link the forum to 1 domain, and split it up.
    So when you go to one of my domains you only se the forums for that domain, the others are hidden...

    Anyway, i had vbulletin a year ago but a lot has happend since then.

    phpBB is indeed better looking then vbulletin.

    But, performance and so on are important too, im expecting to have around 100 logged on users all the time.

    Well, is it worth buying vbulletin? If so why?!!?!

    And dont tell me that vbulletin is godly or something, it has its error just like any other program

  • #2
    When phpBB2 came out, I was blown away by the SubSilver style - it looks great, as everyone will agree. Then I downloaded phpBB2 and had a play, in particular with the style/template system. Have any of you tried that? In case you haven't, let me describe some of my experiences.

    Firstly, the phpBB style system is very difficult to get your head around. It took me a long while to understand what everything meant, and what settings applied to what bits of the look and feel of the product. When I finally found how to change some colours around, I found that the result looked terrible, because the SubSilver style relies heavily on its images - and those images are designed to work with the SubSilver colours and no others. The button edges are all anti-aliased to matte to the SubSilver background colours, so when you apply a different background colour, the images all have an ugly fringing around them. Therefore, in order to make a new style with the phpBB system, you have to re-do all the images, unlike vBulletin 2, where none of the images are antialiased to the background, so you can use any background colours you like and the buttons will still sit on there properly. This combination of factors explains why the vast majority of phpBB2 boards out there stick with the SubSilver style, rather than branching out and customizing the style in the way that most vBulletin boards to.
    Thats a quote from Kier on the vBulletin 3 beta site. In otherwords it will be hard to customise your phpBB and it will look like all the other people using that forum.
    Scott MacVicar

    My Blog | Twitter

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by PPN
      Thats a quote from Kier on the vBulletin 3 beta site. In otherwords it will be hard to customise your phpBB and it will look like all the other people using that forum.

      But then again, the standard phpBB style is the best forum ive seen.

      I like the XP icons and so on, but i recall vbulletin having one...

      Anyway...mm...Hard decision

      Comment


      • #4
        http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/

        have a look at the vBulletin 3 beta site if you haven't already for functionality etc, the new design hasn't been posted yet so its still using the old vB2 style.
        Scott MacVicar

        My Blog | Twitter

        Comment


        • #5
          You can find vBulletin XP Button Sets at http://www.pixeljunction.com
          :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PPN
            http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/

            have a look at the vBulletin 3 beta site if you haven't already for functionality etc, the new design hasn't been posted yet so its still using the old vB2 style.

            Hehe, ive noticed a few changes, but not any big ones.
            Allthough, there are tons of new stuff i guess.

            How long until release?
            Must think it over if its worth waiting for a release.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DirectPixel
              You can find vBulletin XP Button Sets at http://www.pixeljunction.com
              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: vbulletin or phpbb?

                vbulletin

                Comment


                • #9
                  personaly when i tried php it was missing ALOT of admin features
                  Running vB since 4-14-2002

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ah, you will only get people telling good about vBulletin in their own forums .

                    I would suggest checking 3rd party websites like http://www.chooseyourforum.com/comparisons/ to decide which forum is best for your website .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by iFly
                      ah, you will only get people telling good about vBulletin in their own forums .

                      I would suggest checking 3rd party websites like http://www.chooseyourforum.com/comparisons/ to decide which forum is best for your website .
                      Let me guess... you own chooseyourforum.com right?
                      Well, there it is.
                      - Keeper of the Grove

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Oh no, another "which is better" thread ()

                        vBulletin was and is our choice because of:

                        -security, vB is rock solid and heavily tested
                        security updates are provided very fast in case...

                        -stability, vB is scalable and can handle big boards very well

                        Apart of that, vB3 is on the way with a new design.
                        Just my €0.02,
                        -Tom
                        www.MCSEboard.de
                        German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Thomas P
                          Oh no, another "which is better" thread ()

                          vBulletin was and is our choice because of:

                          -security, vB is rock solid and heavily tested
                          security updates are provided very fast in case...

                          -stability, vB is scalable and can handle big boards very well

                          Apart of that, vB3 is on the way with a new design.
                          Just my €0.02,
                          -Tom
                          Ive learned from experience that you should not get your hopes to much on something coming in the future.
                          No one knows when vb3 is going to be released, no one knows how the new design will be, it could be awful, who knows?

                          I dont atleast, nor do you.

                          Time is valuable and expensive and something I have little of!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Okay, so security and stability - I forget to mention good support - is not important to you.
                            If design is all that matters to you then browse the web for any well designed board software and ... buy it or use it.
                            www.MCSEboard.de
                            German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              if you want to look at the design, go to the beta of vb3


                              also, you can edit it to WHATEVER you like


                              also, if you dont want vb and want quality features like it and support get wbb2 my friend uses it and it looks just like vb2 if you want the look and has just as good of features

                              www.techdot.com/forums (his forum)

                              www.woltlab.de - WAY cheaper, dunno bout their support team - starts at 25$
                              Running vB since 4-14-2002

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X