Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is an announcement spam?

Hi,

Just opened a new forum and have thought about the idea of spreading the word with a short announcement on more established forums. Is this a no no?

me needs more users!

Cheers!
    Tuck

It depends.

Does the forum in which you want to place your ad say 'no spam or ads'? Do they have a special forum for ads?

Or - More importantly, do other people post ads on the forums?

Comment

It's a no-no on most forums, unless they have a special forum for posting web-links. Even then, there may be rules to do so (eg. on my site you need at least 15 posts before you can do that).

Comment

99% of the time that is regarded as SPAM.
        http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
        http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
        http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

You're my Prince of Peace
          And I will live my life for You

Comment

The way I see it, if you're an established member of a larger forum, and people know you, and you contribute to the community in some way, I don't think making an announcement is a problem. But if you just show up and start hawking your site to everyone and no one knows you, then you're spamming.
            iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

ask the moderator of the board you want to post at

Comment

If people have a special forum for advertising, then go ahead and post it. Me personally, I have a strict policy on spamming. I have a special forum for advertising. If people choose not to use it and spam my forums instead, then I censor out their URL without a warning. So be careful when posting your URL, otherwise your URL might end up getting censored and if it gets censored on a big forum like webhostingtalk or something, then it could end up hurting you more in the long run.
                -
                Visit the Web Scripts Directory @ http://www.scriptz.com
                -
                PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP, JavaScript, CFML, Python and more!

-

Comment

I did write a hack a few weeks ago, that allows you to set the minimum number of posts a user has to make before they can post a URL. Works for my site. I posted it in vB.org, if anyone is interested.

Comment

and I thought it would be easy

thanks for your input...I guess its quite obvious when you're spamming. What about forums that are unrelated - for e.g. mine is on soccer, so if I posted a polite notice on say a video gaming site, would that be just as rude?

Tuck

Comment

It is good to have your forum URL in your signature / profile this way you can get some extra visitors / members.

For example, see mine

Comment

Google gives me most of my hits. Pick a good domain name, good forumhome page title, put a small link in all the forums you visit (signature), and they will come
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If you posted an announcement...

on my board without asking first, you'd get cancelled and a warning. Had too many people try to jump sites off my back to go through that.

If you asked me first, and it made sense to me...that'd be different. I do not like people trying to subvert my community.

A small (note: small!) sig for a non-commercial site might slip through. If it even smelled like an advertisement, it'd get removed.

Be above boards with the mods you deal with. If you're a good guy and a positive contributor to sites, people will come.
                          Mark Cahill
                          Reel-Time, the Internet Journal of Saltwater Fly Fishing
                          Allthingscahill.com
                          Splitcoaststampers.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X