• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    If anyone wants to goto the AMD Promotion, just sign up at:

http://www.amdrealitycheck.com

Free (downside is you need to live in the U.S.A)

Leave a comment:

• rylin
    replied
    Originally posted by AWS
    Intel is unveiling the Galatin Xeon processor next week. This is a Xeon that is 64bit backward compatible and has a large 2M cache. They wanted to get this released before AMD releases their version.
    Where does it say that it's 64bit and backwards compatible to 32bit?

INTEL HAS UPDATED its Xeon line of processors with three new Xeon MP (Gallatin) chips for multiprocessor server environments. The company has added a larger level 3 cache and pumped up the clock speeds on its Xeon line of processors.
    Press reports say the new Xeons will run at up to 2GHz with 2MB of level 3 cache and suggest a number of vendors including HP and IBM will wheel out systems based on the upgraded chips shortly.

Director of enterprise processor marketing at Intel, Lisa Graff, said customers can expect between 20 and 28 per cent better performance for the chips. "Cache (has) a huge impact on performance," CNet credits her with saying.

As well as targetting Sun in the server space, the new Xeons will also encroach on the space reserved for Itanic chips. According to the reports, Graff said the margin of difference had shrunk until the next planned revision of the Intelgraph chip - Madison - tips up next year. "You will see the Itanium line consistently ahead of Xeon," she is quoted as saying.

The new Xeons run at 1.5GHz, 1.9GHz and 2GHz. The 2GHz version being the only one to sport the 2MB cache. The chips are fabricated using a 130-nanometer manufacturing process, a tad smaller than the previous 180-nanometer process. The 1.5GHz version sells for $1,177 in 1,000-unit quantities, while the 1.9GHz and 2GHz versions sell for $1,980 and $3,692, according to the statement about to be released by Intel but already leaked to a few of its mates in the techie press. ยต
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6052

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    Intel is unveiling the Galatin Xeon processor next week. This is a Xeon that is 64bit backward compatible and has a large 2M cache. They wanted to get this released before AMD releases their version.

Leave a comment:

• JWB
    replied
    me like amd promotion

Nice server ..

Leave a comment:

• JWB
    replied
    me like amd promotion

Leave a comment:

• Sean123
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    I got tickets to their upcoming promotion
    100 of them eeish...now onward to figure out who to give them too.......
    You can start off by giving me a couple .. hehe

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Arunan.S
    'If' the time come...

Thats one beautiful server

-Arunan

AMD's projected release is First Quarter 2003 unveiling their 64-bit processors with backwards compatiblity with 32bit apps and definite peformance improvement for 32bit apps and 64bit apps (if there are any)

I got tickets to their upcoming promotion
    100 of them eeish...now onward to figure out who to give them too.......

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thats a nice server for sure.

Cost? I estimate cost by how long my wife doesn't talk to me. This one should be good for 3 weeks.
    I know that felling

Leave a comment:

• someuser190826
    replied
    Beautiful!
    Last edited by someuser190826; Fri 23 Jul '10, 11:02pm.

Leave a comment:

• rylin
    replied
    Originally posted by Hooper
    AMD won't touch the datacenter floors. That's a fact.
    We'll see
    I know I'm going to order a few for us when the time comes.

Leave a comment:

• CeleronXT
    replied
    Originally posted by Hooper
    Pretty much the specs I have with exceptions of the SCSI, I have the Seagate Cheetah SCSI on Mylex controllers in raid 5. Also added 4 gigs of HSDDR ECC. I didn't build ours, Appro did. Average cost for business purchase is around 6 grand each.

They are very nice and true database machines. You'll love your new machine. 18,000 bogomips and can compile a custom linux kernel in mere minutes. You've never seen a database run like it does with hyperthreading enabled. This is the equivilant of 4 Intel Xeon processors working in harmony. Throughput is unreal.

It's not necessarily power for driving pages. So regardless of how many pages you pull, It's more for the best speed and performance you can offer a database. These machines rock databases and offer more power than is comprehended by most.

All in a 1U box.
    So beautiful.. it brought a tear to my eye.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by okidoki
    If your current hookup works fine, you should've waited for amd to release the sledgehammer

then again, i'm a fanboy.. what can i say?
    AMD won't touch the datacenter floors. That's a fact.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Pretty much the specs I have with exceptions of the SCSI, I have the Seagate Cheetah SCSI on Mylex controllers in raid 5. Also added 4 gigs of HSDDR ECC. I didn't build ours, Appro did. Average cost for business purchase is around 6 grand each.

They are very nice and true database machines. You'll love your new machine. 18,000 bogomips and can compile a custom linux kernel in mere minutes. You've never seen a database run like it does with hyperthreading enabled. This is the equivilant of 4 Intel Xeon processors working in harmony. Throughput is unreal.

It's not necessarily power for driving pages. So regardless of how many pages you pull, It's more for the best speed and performance you can offer a database. These machines rock databases and offer more power than is comprehended by most.

All in a 1U box.
    Last edited by Hooper; Sat 2 Nov '02, 2:04pm.

Leave a comment:

• MUG
    replied
    Originally posted by nickforum
    Nice servers, mine can beat them though =P
    Doubt it...

Leave a comment:

• nickforum
    replied
    Nice servers, mine can beat them though =P

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X