I Got to Tell Someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Got to Tell Someone

Just put my new server together and I'm burning it in before it goes live next week.

Specs:
    Tyan Thunder i7500
    2 x 2.4Ghz Xeon Procs hyperthreading enabled
    4 x 1Gig ECC registered pc 2100 DDR
    Adaptec s2100 zero channel raid controller
    4 x IBM 18 Gig 15K rpm scsi

This will be the main server. The dual Tualatin 1.26Ghz will move over to serve up the db until I can get funds together to build another Xeon box.
    I had to tell someone about this. This thing is awesome. Probably the best thing I could have done was to sell off my AMD servers and switch back to Intel.
    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

I'm jealous...Can I have this for my home computer?

Nice man!

Comment

Man, how much did that cost?
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Gotta be at least $6000...
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

And how many pages are you showing to need that kind of firepower?
          John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

Cost? I estimate cost by how long my wife doesn't talk to me. This one should be good for 3 weeks.
            John, my forum is averaging 200 people online at a time now. The 2 boxes that run it handle it fine, but, I want to be ready for the future. We are getting ready to add new features for members and a new site so the extra horse power will be a bonus.
            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

If your current hookup works fine, you should've waited for amd to release the sledgehammer

then again, i'm a fanboy.. what can i say?
              My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
              That forum

Comment

I don't want to pry here, but do you make any money off your sites to over ride the cost of running it??

That’s about 10,000 dollars Canadian for a server let alone the cost of running it per month wow lol

Some large coin there
                PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

Nice servers, mine can beat them though =P

Comment

Originally posted by nickforum
                    Nice servers, mine can beat them though =P
                    Doubt it...

Comment

Pretty much the specs I have with exceptions of the SCSI, I have the Seagate Cheetah SCSI on Mylex controllers in raid 5. Also added 4 gigs of HSDDR ECC. I didn't build ours, Appro did. Average cost for business purchase is around 6 grand each.

They are very nice and true database machines. You'll love your new machine. 18,000 bogomips and can compile a custom linux kernel in mere minutes. You've never seen a database run like it does with hyperthreading enabled. This is the equivilant of 4 Intel Xeon processors working in harmony. Throughput is unreal.

It's not necessarily power for driving pages. So regardless of how many pages you pull, It's more for the best speed and performance you can offer a database. These machines rock databases and offer more power than is comprehended by most.

All in a 1U box.
                      Last edited by Hooper; Sat 2 Nov '02, 1:04pm.

Comment

Originally posted by okidoki
                        If your current hookup works fine, you should've waited for amd to release the sledgehammer

then again, i'm a fanboy.. what can i say?
                        AMD won't touch the datacenter floors. That's a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper
                          Pretty much the specs I have with exceptions of the SCSI, I have the Seagate Cheetah SCSI on Mylex controllers in raid 5. Also added 4 gigs of HSDDR ECC. I didn't build ours, Appro did. Average cost for business purchase is around 6 grand each.

They are very nice and true database machines. You'll love your new machine. 18,000 bogomips and can compile a custom linux kernel in mere minutes. You've never seen a database run like it does with hyperthreading enabled. This is the equivilant of 4 Intel Xeon processors working in harmony. Throughput is unreal.

It's not necessarily power for driving pages. So regardless of how many pages you pull, It's more for the best speed and performance you can offer a database. These machines rock databases and offer more power than is comprehended by most.

All in a 1U box.
                          So beautiful.. it brought a tear to my eye.
                          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper
                            AMD won't touch the datacenter floors. That's a fact.
                            We'll see
                            I know I'm going to order a few for us when the time comes.
                            My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                            That forum

Comment

Beautiful!
                              Last edited by someuser190826; Fri 23 Jul '10, 10:02pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X