X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veedee
    I think it's catching up for sure.
    It is good for free (i am using it on a dev site, with just 3 people using it) but it misses some things i just take for granted now, like subscribing to threads when you reply or unlimited depth forums. The latter is the sort of thing that if you use is very important and requires massive changes in the backend. It is some of these large structural things that invisionboard is missing and will probably require complete rewrites to introduce .. but who knows
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
      It is good for free (i am using it on a dev site, with just 3 people using it) but it misses some things i just take for granted now, like subscribing to threads when you reply or unlimited depth forums. The latter is the sort of thing that if you use is very important and requires massive changes in the backend. It is some of these large structural things that invisionboard is missing and will probably require complete rewrites to introduce .. but who knows
      True I'm sure. I'm not a techy. However if you walked into a Waitrose and they were giving away orange juice, or selling 'premium' orange juice for £1.60 which one would you pick up?

(No smart arse answers like I'm a geek and therefore allergic to vitamins)

I think that free software like this will be the future of community software, it will lend on the corporate ideas and I would imagine it will be taking a yearly advance in forum market share over its priced rivals.
      Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

Comment

Depends, i buy cheap orange juice but expensive crisps, cheap chocolate but expensive wine .. it just depends what you are buying

3 years ago I would have agreed with you on forum software. I started "forum" stuff with boardpower, but just like almost every open source forum you can name it died for one reason or another. I am a little surprised the open source forums havn't done better, i would generally put it down to lack of direction in most cases and lack of anyone wanting to do the boring work in other cases.

At the moment commercial products are still definitely winning (IMHO) in the forum market, vbulletin, wwwthreads, gforum, fusetalk i see as all better than ibforums/phpbb .. but then that is just my opinion.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Depends, i buy cheap orange juice but expensive crisps, cheap chocolate but expensive wine .. it just depends what you are buying

3 years ago I would have agreed with you on forum software. I started "forum" stuff with boardpower, but just like almost every open source forum you can name it died for one reason or another. I am a little surprised the open source forums havn't done better, i would generally put it down to lack of direction in most cases and lack of anyone wanting to do the boring work in other cases.

At the moment commercial products are still definitely winning (IMHO) in the forum market, vbulletin, wwwthreads, gforum, fusetalk i see as all better than ibforums/phpbb .. but then that is just my opinion.
          i dunno, i would say vb is the best com product, but then mostly its just free ones after that (gforum is horrible :\)
          *SITE COMING SOON*
          Saving for a license so I make a site:)

#1 contributor for vbulletin team: http://project-dolphin.net/cgi-bin/b...mp;TeamID=1290

Comment

I agree, and I believe this is what the IPS Inc people are taking into consideration with their business plan. Although the board itself is free, they offer a plethora of paid services to supplement it, from installation to Managed Care plans. The board may be free, but the parent company is definitely a commercial entity.

Let's keep in mind that Invision Power Board is not open source, and not throw it in with all the GPL products just because you don't pay for the software itself. IPS Inc. is focused on their business plans, and actively working toward its goals.

I'm not here to cause trouble, I just wish people would stop considering Invision Power Board as an open source program, and lumping it in with boards such as phpBB, sowiBB, iHailStorm, and all the other GPL boards out there.

Edit to add:

it misses some things i just take for granted now, like subscribing to threads when you reply or unlimited depth forums.
            I guess you're not using IPB 1.1 then...

Enable 'Email Notification' by default?
            Enabling this option will automatically subscribe you to any topic you start or reply to.
            That's located at act=UserCP&CODE=02 (UserCP -> Options -> E-mail Settings)

Peace!
            Last edited by Jay P; Wed 11th Dec '02, 3:00am.

Comment

Doesn't change the fact that the IBF template system still sucks
              OPEN TECH SUPPORT
              "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
                Doesn't change the fact that the IBF template system still sucks
                Why does it suck?

Comment

Originally posted by Razgo
                  just reading through the list of features it sure does look like they are moving forward. Features
                  The requested URL was not found on this server.
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
                    The requested URL was not found on this server.
                    Guess he moved his board.

http://www.razgo.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=209

Comment

This, I think shows why vb is the market leader:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=47430
                      I don't think that shows why vb are market leaders but rather that they are. I would expect this though consdering vb have been round for as long as they have. Invision Board came from nothing at the beginning of the year to what they are now. That is, strong competitors to vb. You also have to admit that their market share has grown at a great pace, faster than that of any other boards in the market.

You can't just shrug them off because they are free! I bet this server is using Apache (which is free), we know its using MySQL (free) and of course PHP (free). They are all great pieces of software as is Invision Board.

Comment

That seems to be your only beef with IPB, and with it being such a new and *gasp* free product, that's actually pretty high praise

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P
                          That seems to be your only beef with IPB, and with it being such a new and *gasp* free product, that's actually pretty high praise
                          If you guys feel so strongly attached to <insert free forum here> why don't you post about it on either (a) the support forums for that product or (b) an unbiased site, perhaps one of those in your signature.

Personally, I for one am getting tired of reading threads every day about how great <insert free forum here> is. Maybe it is time for a rule change to stop this spamming.
                          Last edited by Freddie Bingham; Wed 11th Dec '02, 9:58am.

Comment

Originally posted by freddie
                            If you guys feel so strongly attached to <insert free forum here> why don't you post about it on either (a) the support forums for that product or (b) an unbiased site, perhaps one of those in your signature.

Personally, I for one am getting tired of reading threads every day about how great <insert free forum here> is. Maybe it is time for a rule change to stop this spamming.
                            Hi,

I mean no disrespect at all towards vB, and please keep in mind that I did not start this topic in the first place. I am just trying to keep the facts straight, because I'm sure everybody is aware that they can be slightly skewed at times due to unquestioning loyalty (which doesn't only happen here, I'm well aware).

If me correcting some baseless assumptions and pointing out a minor detail here and there, all in the interests of the exchange of information (ie, not flaming anybody whatsoever) is considered as spam, then so be it and please accept my apologies.

Nobody is questioning vB as the market leader, this is merely about whether <free forum here> is a quality product as well, and since vB prevents users from using more than one copy of the software due to licensing restrictions, it is a great thing that there are free forum software solutions to compliment vB

Peace

Comment

IMO we've been very lenient in discussions regarding <insert your forums here>. I doubt any other BB systems are so lenient about this.

I would hope that the people involved in the development of these systems are not using our forums to promote their product(s). That would be unethical and would abuse our goodwill in allowing these discussions.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                                IMO we've been very lenient in discussions regarding <insert your forums here>. I doubt any other BB systems are so lenient about this.

I would hope that the people involved in the development of these systems are not using our forums to promote their product(s). That would be unethical and would abuse our goodwill in allowing these discussions.
                                either way I do not think that vB has anything to worry about.
                                http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                                http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                                http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X