Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it isnt the be all and end all but it does help towards making it faster obviously, it's less to do, common sense tells u that.
    depends on the complexity of the queries, the amount of data in the tables etc.
    I could make a single query that's slower than running several queries to accomplish the same thing.

IMO the fact it runs faster on my machines to me says its programmed better.
    And how many concurrent users do you have?
    How large is the database?
    NeoWin are (afaik on a dual proc machine (> 1ghz/cpu) w/ ~1gb ram) hosted by invision board.
    They have 187 users on in the last 15 minutes right now, they have 500k posts, soon 19k members

It took me almost 20 seconds to load their forums right now.

We, on the other hand, have 65k members, and we're 60k posts away from hitting the 2M mark.
    Admittedly, we only have 100 users online atm, but we're regularly near the 200 mark, and it doesn't affect the system / loadtimes a lot.

It took me 3 seconds to load our forums (vbulletin).

To me, that says vB is coded & designed better to handle high loads.

is "better" as I don't use a forum, but from a programmers point of view, i personally feel IBF is programmed to a better standard.
    If you feel the need to say that you're debunking something from a programmer's point of view, then you really need to rethink your arguments.
    Come with arguments based on facts, not something like "i'm a programmer, so i know everything about programming" or "i'm older than you, i have more experience".
    Facts are worth their weight in gold, compared to statements like those, but if you want to have a go at it, then sure:
    I'm a developer (php for 3years & 9months, perl for 5½ years, mysql newbie (2 years in december) etc. etc. etc, and I say vbulletin is coded to handle large loads better.
    (although, i would accomplish the same thing by pointing at the "forums with more than 1m posts"-thread)

obviously, this is my PoV on a rather dull topic
    feel free to flame me
    My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
    That forum

Comment

Come with arguments based on facts, not something like "i'm a programmer, so i know everything about programming" or "i'm older than you, i have more experience".
      my exact words were:
      "but from a programmers point of view, i personally feel IBF is programmed to a better standard"

i think u just slightly twisted what i said to a slight extent lol

depends on the complexity of the queries, the amount of data in the tables etc.
      I could make a single query that's slower than running several queries to accomplish the same thing.
      I agree, but we could type generic situations til our fingers bleed. IBF doesn't do this, so i don't even see how that applies.

(afaik on a dual proc machine (> 1ghz/cpu) w/ ~1gb ram)
      isn't vB using two seperate servers, one for PHP and one for MySQL?

I think for the test to even begin to be fair, they should at least be done on the same machine?

To me, that says vB is coded & designed better to handle high loads.
      so boards with smaller loads are insignificant? aslong as it works faster when u have 73 million posts thats ok?

i say "faster", but again that is your opinion

It took me 3 seconds to load our forums (vbulletin).
      it took me about 0.5 - 1, but then so does IBF and nearly every other page on the net

and didn't neowin used to use vB but they had to get rid of it due to the server loads being too high? im certain it was neowin. I remember the threads about it being here, there and over IBF

Comment

Originally posted by megahard

and didn't neowin used to use vB but they had to get rid of it due to the server loads being too high? im certain it was neowin. I remember the threads about it being here, there and over IBF
        No.
        Host issues.

They ran really well when they were running vbulletin on hosttyme.
        That forum

Comment

Originally posted by megahard
          my exact words were:
          "but from a programmers point of view, i personally feel IBF is programmed to a better standard"

i think u just slightly twisted what i said to a slight extent lol
          No, I was putting things in perspective. I'm way too used to arguing with people who claim that age and profession is everything.

Really, saying that from your programmer's PoV (after reading through the source) that one product is better than the other really doesn't mean anything at all.

Showing why, however, does.

I agree, but we could type generic situations til our fingers bleed. IBF doesn't do this, so i don't even see how that applies.
          I was merely debunking the "less queries == better" part

isn't vB using two seperate servers, one for PHP and one for MySQL?
          I believe this is the case, but i wouldn't know. (James? Kier? Anyone? )

I think for the test to even begin to be fair, they should at least be done on the same machine?
          Yeah, but when this isn't possible, comparing similar machines is the best way to go at it.

so boards with smaller loads are insignificant? aslong as it works faster when u have 73 million posts thats ok?
          They're definitely not insignificant, but if software scales well (like vbulletin has proven that it does), then that means it's coded very well.

I'm definitely not slagging off "small" communities - i'm a member in a few, so
          But seeing how neowin run poorly using ibf, when they were running fine with vb earlier (on what i believe are similar platforms) says a lot about how well certain software is coded.
          That forum

Comment

But seeing how neowin run poorly using ibf, when they were running fine with vb earlier (on what i believe are similar platforms) says a lot about how well certain software is coded.
            For your information Neowin ran badly with both vB AND IBF. They originally decided to return to vB due to the 1.0 version of IBF not having the administration features they needed. In the end the server load forced them to move to another host, who then tried to force mutiple ads on them. So they shut the site down entirely.

Since moving to Invision hosting and IBF v1.1 they've been fine as fine.

So would you PLEASE stop inventing spurious nonsense to try and justify your blatant bias please?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumble
              Since moving to Invision hosting and IBF v1.1 they've been fine as fine.

So would you PLEASE stop inventing spurious nonsense to try and justify your blatant bias please?
              Err... let's see
              20+ seconds to load their forums now.
              <5 seconds to load their vb forums when they were with HostTyme.

This is what it's like for *me*.
              How is this inventing?
              That forum

Comment

Originally posted by okidoki

I believe this is the case, but i wouldn't know. (James? Kier? Anyone? )
                Nope, vb now only uses one server. It used to use 2 because it was supporting vb, vb.org, vbforums and a few other sites. In fact, the most important reason for having a beafy server is when it comes to releasing software. E.g. when vb2 was released we had thousands of people all downloading the software at the same time. This is quite an intensive process because an individual zip file is made for everyone. If you want to look at what sort of servers you need to run high end vbs it would be better to ask the people running forums in the million + thread.
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk
                DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Err... let's see

How is this inventing?
                  Now let me just back up the first statement:
                  snapshot from colocation in sweden
                  [[email protected] /root]# time lynx -source http://www.neowin.net/ > temp.htm

real 0m17.642s
                  user 0m0.010s
                  sys 0m0.010s

[[email protected] /root]# time lynx -source http://www.neowin.net/bboard/ > temp.htm

real 0m26.491s
                  user 0m0.020s
                  sys 0m0.000s
                  snapshot from colocation in usa/new york
                  [[email protected] root]# time links -dump http://www.neowin.net/ > temp.htm

real 0m20.413s
                  user 0m0.750s
                  sys 0m0.000s
                  [[email protected] root]#

[[email protected] root]# time links -dump http://www.neowin.net/bboard/ > temp.htm

real 0m18.703s
                  user 0m0.160s
                  sys 0m0.020s
                  snapshot from colocation usa/santa clara
                  [[email protected] root]# time links -dump http://www.neowin.net/ > temp.htm

real 0m16.777s
                  user 0m0.680s
                  sys 0m0.000s
                  [[email protected] root]# time links -dump http://www.neowin.net/bboard > temp.htm

real 0m17.761s
                  user 0m0.140s
                  sys 0m0.020s
                  That forum

Comment

Neowin is hosted on a dedicated 1.2mhz single processor (celeron) with 1 gig ram, both mySQL and HTTP are run on this single box.

At the moment, Neowin is loading fine for me, but there is an intermittent problem somewhere as it does slow down / time out randomly. I would say this is a connectivity problem over a CPU problem.

Whilst running some tests last week, I removed all the scripting and just left the board up, the load was at around 3 with 200+ members online.

Comment

ah, single celeron.. that would explain a few things
                      thanks for clearing that up (and huge props for hosting neowin )
                      That forum

Comment

Originally posted by mattmecham
                        Neowin is hosted on a dedicated 1.2mhz
                        and i really hope you meant ghz :-P
                        That forum

Comment

and i really hope you meant ghz :-P
                          1.2mhz - that would explain a heck of a lot! My old Amiga 500 had a rocking 6mhz.

Yes, 1.2ghz

Comment

Err... let's see

How is this inventing?
                            Hmm, it takes me about 6-7 seconds to load NeoWin ... maybe it's just my cable

Comment

Originally posted by ZiPPo
                              Hmm, it takes me about 6-7 seconds to load NeoWin ... maybe it's just my cable
                              Actually, I currently run an invision board at my two sites. Yes it is fast, yes it isn't that bad, but yet.. I am still saving my money for a vbulletin license. Why? I like you all so much Haha, actually its because I do not like Ib's template system, and the admin cp is rather.. annoying to navigate. And all of the styles are real blocky. I also have used vbulletin MANY times before, because I have been admin on more than a fair share of them. I do love vbulletin alot. Invision is a GREAT forum do not get me wrong, but vB is just better. Also, for overall paid/non forum ranks (imho):

1) vBulletin
                              2) Invision Board
                              3) PhpBB
                              4) Ubb
                              5) YaBB

That is just my overall experience using them all. I do not know about programming very much (a little:P) but, I do know that I love the vbulletin software, staff, and users. They all seem to try their very best to help you out A.S.A.P and that really scores big in my book.

-Knyte
                              *SITE COMING SOON*
                              Saving for a license so I make a site:)

#1 contributor for vbulletin team: http://project-dolphin.net/cgi-bin/b...mp;TeamID=1290

Comment

I think it's catching up for sure.
                                Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X