Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Features shmeatures ... the feature-set is nothing if you don't include ease of use, scalability and customizability in your assessments... I mean, really, how much of these "features" do you people actually use? Much like MS Word or Adobe Photoshop - bunchload of features yet you end up using only 10%-25% of them ... so you people should not be blinded by the feature-set but rather take into consideration the features that you WILL find useful in your boards.

I use both iBF and vB, and iBF's template system stil kinda sucks ... which makes costomizing it a pain at times. Still, I like it and use it coz it is a promising product. But frankly, you have to call it the way it is... vBulletin is still better, when you take into account ease of use and customizability ... that's my opinion, anyway...
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
      ....and iBF's template system stil kinda sucks ...
      So true
      You're my Prince of Peace
      And I will live my life for You

Comment

This, I think shows why vb is the market leader:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=47430
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

In my opinion vB and iBF are close. They are both great products, however I think I'm going to have to go with vBulletin. The reason is mainly because I know that it's stable and reliable, and perhaps because I'm more familiar with it. I think iBF is pretty nice too, although I haven't used it as much. As Matt said they both have different goals and if I was ever going to go with another board it would probably most likely be invision board. I also don't really know how reliable invision board really is, like from that thread Chris posted, you can see how much vB can handle, however I have yet to see an invision board with the same amount of posts and online users at the same time. I know it also depends on the server, but, well, I dunno I just prefer vB. I certainly think that iBF is among the tops boards alongside vBulletin easily. Heh, what do you all think of wBB? I think this is ok however the english support seems pretty poor and the staff don't really seem to know what they are doing. It's almost as though they've just made a few alterations to a vBulletin, renamed a few of the files. It reminds me that much of vBulletin, though I'm sure it was coded from scratch. I don't really like the fact [at least with wBB 1.1.1] that you have to edit individual .html files for the templates, that can get very tedious. Ok I think I'll shutup now.

PS vB is the easiest to customise IMO. wBB is the easiest to install and IBF is proably somewhere inbetween. Hope I'm making sense, and I've tried my best not to be biased.

Comment

Having used both vB and Invision (1 through 1.1) I think they are both excellent products, however, when it came down to it I decided that vB was worth the 160 I paid.

When i sat down to customize the template of my Invision board I found myself lost. Why? Because to do things like change the colors of the forum you have to edit a style sheet as opposed to just typing in the hex into a field. Now I'm not a huge expert on html, php, whatever, but if you go to my site you'll be able to see that I have a pretty good understanding of it. If I am confused by it I can imagine the hell people new to code must go through.

Ikonboard actually has a better template system than Invision. The template system alone was enough to scare me away from Invision.

Comment

Trust me, ibf template system sux badly.
              I was playing around with it, and guess what, i've spent over an 1 hour just to figure out where to change the main table border color, duh.
              Then i had to go through php template files one by one to set cellpading="0".
              What a nightmare.
              You're my Prince of Peace
              And I will live my life for You

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis01
                I must say I prefer VB, I set an IB up one day caus my socks were in the wash and I found it to be bulky, not great to look at and too slow like most other VB wannabe's.

Once you have tasted wine you dont really want a glass of water.
                1) I found it to be bulky -
                IB = 2.73mb for an entire message board

2) not great to look at
                unskinned it looks identical to vB only in nicer colors, and u can skin it to look however u want

3) and too slow
                IB is far faster than vB, its a commonly known fact, the ONLY time it isnt slower is on faster servers where they r equal.
                I program PHP and know what i'm on about.

IB is coded more efficiently and in OOP, which the vB developers will admit to u. when u make really bad comments such as the ones above it discredits nething u have to say later on.

im not bashing u or nething, ive often made comments without knowin what im chattin

im not promoting either board, but just stating facts.

admitedly invision boards support forum is absolutely appauling, and yes that is from experience.

Comment

Invision Board is a VERY good Discussion Software. But vBulletin has more time, experience. I really can't explain but I can tell it since I know Invision Board from the beginning of it's development and I'm still there since I have just won't buy more then 1 licence I like IB Still a lot.

Edit: Typo
                  Last edited by Lucas; Sun 1st Dec '02, 7:59pm.

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
                    Trust me, ibf template system sux badly.
                    [snip]
                    What a nightmare.
                    My thoughts exactly
                    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by megahard
                      3) and too slow
                      IB is far faster than vB, its a commonly known fact, the ONLY time it isnt slower is on faster servers where they r equal.

IB is coded more efficiently and in OOP, which the vB developers will admit to u. when u make really bad comments such as the ones above it discredits nething u have to say later on.
                      Please do not attribute comments to us that we have never made. We still believe that vBulletin is the best solution on the market today.

Comment

Originally posted by megahard
                        1) I found it to be bulky -
                        IB = 2.73mb for an entire message board

2) not great to look at
                        unskinned it looks identical to vB only in nicer colors, and u can skin it to look however u want

3) and too slow

im not bashing u or nething, ive often made comments without knowin what im chattin

im not promoting either board, but just stating facts.

admitedly invision boards support forum is absolutely appauling, and yes that is from experience.
                        http://dictionary.reference.com/
                        http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by freddie
                          Please do not attribute comments to us that we have never made. We still believe that vBulletin is the best solution on the market today.
                          i sed that u sed vB doesn't use OOP, and somewhere amongst every post on this board is that post, i couldn't find it if i tried.

it was in a post about vB3, somebody asked will vB3 use OOP, and one of the developers, maybe even you said "no only the database class"

i will stand corrected if vB3 comes out written in OOP

and about my spelling, yes i can spell correctly, and i can use a dictionary, but when i'm typing over 5 words i'm likely to shorten as many words as possible

Comment

It is a complete misconception to say that because something uses OOP it is better or worse than another project. There is badly coded, slow, OOP programing and badly coded, slow functional programming as much as there is good OOP programming and functional programming. Saying something is better because it is written in OOP style is as naive a statement as suggesting that the number of queries on a page is the be all and end all for measuring performance.
                            Christopher Padfield
                            Web Based Helpdesk
                            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

vB3 doesn't use OOP. Do you think OOP causes a program to run faster? Don't be silly. OOP can, in fact, cause a program to run slower if you try to gain too much abstraction. If you have methods that do too many things to look nice or professional than you can lose speed. I still maintain that you can not get much faster, in terms of compilation time, than the way we code vB3. Your broken English is a bit confusing but it appeared you stated that we would agree that a competitor is "faster". If someone's home page has 9 queries and we have 11, and you consider that a speed test, than I guess we lose. It's not what tools you have that count, it is how you use those tools.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                                It is a complete misconception to say that because something uses OOP it is better or worse than another project. There is badly coded, slow, OOP programing and badly coded, slow functional programming as much as there is good OOP programming and functional programming. Saying something is better because it is written in OOP style is as naive a statement as suggesting that the number of queries on a page is the be all and end all for measuring performance.
                                it isnt the be all and end all but it does help towards making it faster obviously, it's less to do, common sense tells u that.

and admitedly people do program OOP badly, but that isn't my point, my point is IBF uses it well, if you ask a mutual programmer, they wud confess to it being well coded. having read through it I think it's done extremely well.

in my opinion, for what it's worth, IBF is nicer/easier to read through, and IMO the fact it runs faster on my machines to me says its programmed better.

it obviously doesn't make any difference to me which forum is "better" as I don't use a forum, but from a programmers point of view, i personally feel IBF is programmed to a better standard.

all the above is my opinion, I obviously don't mind if people don't share my POV

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X