This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is invisionboard catching up to VB?

just reading through the list of features it sure does look like they are moving forward. Features

Nah. :P
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

A free board will never be better than a paid one.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

That's similar to what Microsoft says about Linux

Comment

Invision board is good. As far as them catching up to vbulletin, I don't know. Filburt is right though, a free forum will never be better than a paid one as long as they keep offering it for free. Of course, it will always be a matter of opinion. There really is no way to prove that vbulletin is better than invision but, as far as technical support goes, vbulletin wins. I think invision board will pass up PhpBB soon though. Is it just me, or has PhpBB been going downhill lately? By the way, Linux's competition software to windows ("Lindows") isn't free, they charge for it.
          -
          Visit the Web Scripts Directory @ http://www.scriptz.com
          -
          PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP, JavaScript, CFML, Python and more!

-

Comment

The actual components of Lindows (Linux + Wine (wine is pretty lame IMHO too)) are free.

Comment

Lindows is just a stupid emulator. The Linux OS with any GUI is what I'm talking about. Or even Windows 2k Server vs. pretty much any Linux Distro.

Comment

A free board will never be better than a paid one.
                IMO I can't agree with that statement. I know we are talking about Forums here but apache and PHP are free. I just can't agree just because you pay for it that it makes it better?

anyhow I wasn't trying to make out that invisionboard is a better product but rather it looks like it has some great developers and is something I would put on par with vbulletin. and just considering the new feature developements it is coming out with I just thought it was looking really good.

Comment

Apache and PHP don't offer support though, whereas with a paid product you should be guaranteed it (and are, here).

It still is a matter of opinion but just buyer beware; I think it was Ikonboard where a bunch of the devs just up and left with no warning.

Comment

as far as technical support goes, vbulletin wins
                    I don't know as i have never used invisionboard technical support before. have you?

according to their forums if you read through them, their support looks very good. they have a paid support option as well.
                    Last edited by Razgo; Wed 30th Oct '02, 6:47pm.

Comment

I think it was Ikonboard where a bunch of the devs just up and left with no warning.
                      I don't think so. you can read what happend basically here: interview

Comment

Isn't there a rule that doesn't allow us to discuss other bulletin boards here?
                        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                          Isn't there a rule that doesn't allow us to discuss other bulletin boards here?

I think as long as it doesn't turn into a flame war its ok...

Don't want this place to end up like Infopop right??

My above comment could be seen as a flame and bad, just an example

Comment

The fact is this. Free boards and Pay boards can not be compared to each other.

iB's support may be good but with vBulletin you have the Ticket system. With vBulletin you pay for the product AND support, Ive always belived that paying extra for support can be a good thing depending on the price.

You also have to remember that vB 3 is right around the corner .
                            Last edited by Brad.loo; Wed 30th Oct '02, 8:36pm.

Comment

The fact is this. Free boards and Pay boards can not be compared to each other
                              I disagree. if we were comparing prices then the comparison ends there. one is free and the other you pay for. end of price comparision.
                              With vBulletin you pay for the product AND support, Ive always belived that paying extra for support can be a good thing depending on the price.
                              ib also has a type of ticket support. it's an extra service you pay for. although it works out a lot more expensive than vb paid service, but it is still a paid support service that they make availible. so they have a choice of free support or paid. but here you must pay to recieve support?

and yes I am waiting for vb3. around the corner? it's always around the corner. it's not here until it's here

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X